Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by windmill » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:07 pm

Gene Pitney - 24 Hours From Tulsa

Used to loathe this song because it was so popular but it is a piece of pop perfection

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:13 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:54 am

Carola Baer - Doors Talk interesting back story if this is to be believed, this was supposedly found on a cassette in a thrift store. not sure if I care to look into the provenance much because I like it enough not to care. She kinda looks like yon Stark girl from GoT. Lofi but gorgeously devotional baroque dream pop for anyone attracted to the more berobed end of 4AD and similar acts like Bel Canto. :-*

Carola Baer - Golden child
The discovery of a cassette of Carola Baer's early 90s private home recordings was the equivalent of finding a needle in a haystack. Made as a one off mixtape of newly recorded songs, and given away to a long-since forgotten recipient, this cassette was found in 2017 at a Goodwill "bins" location in Portland, Oregon. These chaotic, by the pound thrift stores contain 1000's of unsorted items in constant flux, which are only available for the public to buy for a limited time before they are discarded. The prospect that this obscure relic would be rescued from it's untimely fate is nothing short of a miracle. As this tape was the only one in existence, with no back up versions of many of the songs, it's more than likely that this music would have been lost forever.

The Story of Valerie is made up of songs culled from that cassette, with a few additional tracks from the time, and is the first time Carola Baer's solo material has been heard by the public. The intensely emotional feeling of the music and lyrics is brought upon by the primary themes of the album: the cruelty of humanity, isolated life as a british immigrant in the US and the pain of doomed relationships. Despite being inspired by classic 4AD acts like Dead Can Dance and Cocteau Twins, Baer's home recordings have a sound and style that is all their own. Many of the tracks feel like musical exorcisms, with Baer's spine tingling voice soaring above minimal arrangements for Yamaha DX-7 and Casio CZ-101 synthesizers. Like finding a strangers diary and being captivated by what’s found inside, the listener is granted access to music that is especially personal in nature.

It feels almost criminal that this music has never been heard, and was on the brink of extinction. The story of the source cassette being found is a prime example of how much incredible music is out in the world just waiting to be uncovered. Concentric Circles (the new imprint from Jed Bindeman of Freedom To Spend) is very proud to present both our first release as a label, and the first release from Carola Baer.
Low Life - Lust Forevermore kinda like if the Mob, Wire and Early Christian Death had a little black eyed baby. NOT the Scottish alloneword Lowlife, they are Australian and produced by Mikey Young of the most excellent Total Control andthe Green Child.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:13 am

Penelope Trappes - Burn On (Mogwai Rework) could pretty much be a My Bloody Valentine remix, reverberating like there's a flying saucer taxiing above you but in possession of an extra layer of devotional headroom. This is the taster for Penelope Trappes - Penelope Two Redux which you get when you grace Houndstooth with a preorder.

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:33 pm

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:37 am

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:48 am

39 clocks - Dom (Electricity Elects the Rain) was reminded to dig this slice of reedy and squeezy German fuck off garage psyche out and this still gets me going.

39 Clocks - Rainy Night Insanities

LOVE INC. - Life's a Gas gorgeous luxury sampledelia built on Roxy Music -True To Life (off Avalon) and T.Rex - Life's A Gas, all slathered with rich topping of Hot Chocolate.

D

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:25 pm

New Aries album coming, Juramento Mantarraya, the title track is her typical sunny Spanish synth pop. I really enjoyed Mermelada dorada so I'm looking forward to this one.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:19 am

KOMPROMAT - Niemand I was initially confused by this record by Vitalic and a french singer who tends to sing in the German. On the one hand it's packed with belting minimal wave songs like this but on the other it's got some moves that on first aquaintance sound a little beefy and still sounding quite Vitalic (which I guess is a good thing if you thing survives genre shifting) . However now I've been through it a few times I'm more of the opinion that there's a brilliant 6 track min album there and a 12" on the side for the big minimal wave techno. I really enjoy the tracks where they go a bit Schmutz Sisters. They say it's halfway between Crash Course in Science and Einstürzende Neubauten which I don't really agree with. It's more down the road marked Mitra Mitra, Hard Corps etc and could well have come out on Cititrax.

KOMPROMAT - Possession

KOMPROMAT - Das Konterfei (Vacarme Rework) I's say this was worth buying the album for alone but...it's an extra digital track (the original is very good and on the elpee). Utterly STUNNING, like a song from German futurist version of Mary Poppins where she's fully out as a witch. Very much sitting alongside Schmutz Sisters, Wim Mertens and the genius of Bernthøler :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

KOMPROMAT - De mon âme à ton âme

Also GREAT name.

Vitalic - Poison Lips Such a great track and the video is fucking perfect, not the 'official video' that's dull as Gary Barlow but this is a film clip.

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:51 am

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:11 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:19 am
I really enjoy the tracks where they go a bit Schmutz Sisters
Wow, that's rank as fuck, I'm actually offended hearing it - On it's own, as well as in a sentence with Schmutz Sisters.
Sounds like your generic lowbrow electro dudebro affair going EPICK MYSTHIKS.
Grateful for your ever enduring public service, but seriously. >:(
On the flipside that Vacarme Rework (which I quite liked) reminded me to listen to some November Növelet
November Növelet - You Are Mine Haus Arafna , clinically romantic as usual.

Drew McDowall & Hiro Kone - Violence's Detour from "The Ghost of Georges Bataille", such a cool dedication, Drew McDowall has been killing it last year.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:33 am

aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:11 am
shadowplay wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:19 am
I really enjoy the tracks where they go a bit Schmutz Sisters
Wow, that's rank as fuck, I'm actually offended hearing it - On it's own, as well as in a sentence with Schmutz Sisters.
Sounds like your generic lowbrow electro dudebro affair going EPICK MYSTHIKS.
Grateful for your ever enduring public service, but seriously. >:(
On the flipside that Vacarme Rework (which I quite liked) reminded me to listen to some November Növelet
November Növelet - You Are Mine Haus Arafna , clinically romantic as usual.

Drew McDowall & Hiro Kone - Violenc.e's Detour from "The Ghost of Georges Bataille", such a cool dedication, Drew McDowall has been killing it last year.
I like it. That link was pasted wrong. This is The Schmutz Sisters

I'll not have anything said against Das Konterfei though.

D

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:41 am

I know and love the Schmutz Sisters, hence my reaction

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:06 am

aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:11 am
November Növelet
we can agree on how good November Növelet are.

I honestly though you'd be into Das Konterfei (Vacarme Rework) off the KOMPROMAT record. I actually agree that there's some missteps on the album that (WUBWUB sound making a most unwelcome appearance) and addressed them poorly in my initial post but I like quite a lot of it.

Today I've had the new Josefin Ohrn + The Liberation elpee 'Desire' on.

Theres's only one song on youtube but the album is de embargoed on Bandcamp. Kinda three phases to it, a sort of motorikelectronik slighly Sparksy Jane Weaverish beginning containing Desire which is a nice hybrdi of French synthpop on the edge of disco and kosmische, then a more conventional velveteen guitar psyche middle section with hints of Mazzy Star and Spiritualized (really like the eastercisms of Only Lovers) and then a cool low beam closing section.

Josefin Ohrn + The Liberation from the more electronic beginning.

So far I probably prefer Mirage her last elpee but it's enjoyable and probably of wider appeal.

D

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:47 am

I have no idea what would have made Youtube recommend this but I'm into it - Joshua Hedley, retro Bakersfield-y country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WwUw666_Uk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYn6-Hu4mBM