Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:18 pm

NickD wrote:Midori Takada & Masahiko Satoh - Ancient Palace https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5-XIH8vejA
Totally amazing record, good pick. We saw Midori earlier this year, it was great.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:33 pm

Mary Casio (Hannah Peel) - Sunrise through a Dusty Nebula. really lovely concept record that pays homage to female synth pioneers and colliery bands.

D

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:38 am

Is The Green Line (repress) out (and no doubt sold out) now? I signed up for the alert from Clay Pipe, but haven't had one yet.

The Folklore of Plants looks interesting, though I'm swithering as there doesn't seem to be much of a try before you buy option.

Edit: listening to the Soundcloud Cuttings now....sounds hard to resist....

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:04 am

October according to the Clay Pipe site. I'm signed up to get alerts and I haven't got one either as yet, so that would make sense.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:18 am

NickD wrote:October according to the Clay Pipe site. I'm signed up to get alerts and I haven't got one either as yet, so that would make sense.
I just looked up discogs and Dealthwatlz are selling them for 20 plus five in post which isn't too bad.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:16 am

The Heartwood Institute - The Whispering Knights come back to this in light of their forthcoming vinyl record. It's an imagined soundtrack to an imagined dramatisation of Penelope Lively's book of the same name. It's digital only but I got a CD through Reverb Worship which is an interesting if hard to follow label because it's CD only and I totally lose track of CD labels. The Hare And The Moon album on Reverb Worship is really good.

Btw talking Folklore Tapes the Wester Ross Folklore Tapes Vol.I - Sacred Island: The Legend and Magic of Isle Maree one is really good too but it's flexi and either for you or not (hopeless completist here).

Mrs S was away with work and the older two were busy sticking their arms up cows bums, so I actually drove to Loch Maree (via Connel, Ballahuilish, Fort William, Invergarry) during the summer with the three younger kids in my old Maser, which was less fun for the rear passengers than it was for me and my shotgun companion but we rotated the one in the front. We stayed two nights in a lovely cabin and I must say it's a supernaturally beautiful place, we got treated incredibly well, the old Italian lady got a lot of love and I was near bursting with joy at owning it. I looked at houses up there but it's WAY too far out for weekend stays. Then we came back via Inverness and Aviemore a run of close to 450 miles, which isn't that far as roadtrips go but it seemed epic on Highland roads. Really amazing trip but even though the kids were fine with it, I'd probably do it in something with better rear seats or perhaps in a two car convoy. Car was AMAZING, never missed a beat and my touring spares pack went unopened.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:39 am

Ski Patrol ‎– Agent Orange really great 7' single on Killing jokes Malicious Damage imprint I pulled out on a whim. If you didn't know better you'd think this was a lost The Sound song and it's inccidentally pretty good to dance to.

Xmal Deutschland - Schwarze Welt

Xmal Deutschland - Incubus Succubus I met one of my best friends due to Xmal. In the innocence of youth I painted the Incubus Succubus sleeve on the back of her leather jacket for cash after
she asked someone else who did theirs and she still has it and we are still friends long after I hung up my eyeliner. I don't really get nostalgic but I remember them playing with the Wolfgang Press in 1983 and how amazing the Xmal girls looked and I've a self polariod Anja took and threw into the crowd stuffed in one of the records.

Void Vision - The Source my youngest is in an 'I only like music made by girls with synthesisers' phase. She loves Void Vison.

D

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:23 am

shadowplay wrote:and how amazing the Xmal girls looked and I've a self polariod Anja took and threw into the crowd stuffed in one of the records.

Wow, what a great looking group. I'd never heard of them. Thanks.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:53 am

^^^

Scott you are in for a treat, they had what I regard as an exceptional guitarist in Manuela Rickers, who made a guitars sound like fax machine. Heard best possibly on Geheimnis, about as far from the TGP style Strat tone as is possible.

All three of the early elpees are Great; Fetisch/Tosin/Viva. Some folk don't like (on a major) Viva but it's got great songs on it like Polarlicht, which has a killer riff in anyones book and my favourite Feuerwerk (31·Dez)which is so elegant.

Here's a cracking live version of Augen Blick off Tocsin.

A non album favourite is Autumn off a 12.

D

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 am

shadowplay wrote:drove to Loch Maree (via Connel, Ballahuilish, Fort William, Invergarry) during the summer with the three younger kids in my old Maser, which was less fun for the rear passengers than it was for me and my shotgun companion but we rotated the one in the front. We stayed two nights in a lovely cabin and I must say it's a supernaturally beautiful place, we got treated incredibly well, the old Italian lady got a lot of love and I was near bursting with joy at owning it. I looked at houses up there but it's WAY too far out for weekend stays. Then we came back via Inverness and Aviemore a run of close to 450 miles, which isn't that far as roadtrips go but it seemed epic on Highland roads. Really amazing trip
If you haven't already done so, I can thoroughly recommend a trip to Skye, returning via the amazing Kylerhea to Glenelg turntable ferry, and back home via some of the most stunning scenery in Scotland. The single-track road to the ferry is fun enough in itself, but that's just the beginning of one of the best road trips going.

Nothing to do with music, I know, but it is close to the afore-mentioned Wester Ross....

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:04 pm

shadowplay wrote:^^^

Scott you are in for a treat, they had what I regard as an exceptional guitarist in Manuela Rickers, who made a guitars sound like fax machine. Heard best possibly on Geheimnis, about as far from the TGP style Strat tone as is possible.

All three of the early elpees are Great; Fetisch/Tosin/Viva. Some folk don't like (on a major) Viva but it's got great songs on it like Polarlicht, which has a killer riff in anyones book and my favourite Feuerwerk (31·Dez)which is so elegant.

Here's a cracking live version of Augen Blick off Tocsin.

A non album favourite is Autumn off a 12.

D
Thank you for these other leads and recommendations. I love this sort of thing, and you are right about the unique guitar sounds. I sometimes wish I had a fraction of your knowledge of all these bands, but I always have this thread and the post-punk thread.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:11 am

Walter Wegmuller...errr Andrew Weatherall; Evidence The Enemy. Probably the worst song on it but so much better then Covenanza which I wasn't keen on at all. Whole record sorta reminds me of Australian Testing Labs Music For Aircooled Motoringwhile not being quite as good, at least on one listen.

Oliver Cherer (Gilroy Mere) - Delicate Blooms really great clockwork forest folk.

Jabu - "Fool If" I bought the first jabu record at the same time I bought the Young Echo album (they are part of the YE collective) but I didn't play it much but this is much better. This track being like minimal wave R&B chacha and this one being a well of blasted subterranean gospel. Very Bristol to me, pulsing weightless space kinda between something like Ian William Craig and Tricky at his most unmoored and devotional and sometimes reminds me of Harold Budd, the Editions EG set and perhaps even David Sylvian.
scottT wrote: Thank you for these other leads and recommendations. I love this sort of thing, and you are right about the unique guitar sounds. I sometimes wish I had a fraction of your knowledge of all these bands, but I always have this thread and the post-punk thread.
You might also want to look at Malaria! if you don't know them.

Oh and stop press! You will be very interested in this since you are a fellow Vazz fan;Submerged Vessels And Other Stories by Vazz. It comes on double vinyl, as well as a file. Really brilliant stuff.

Vazz - Pearls (dub)

Vazz - Sleep Patten such honeyed gorgeousness.

D

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:14 am

shadowplay wrote:Oh and stop press! You will be very interested in this since you are a fellow Vazz fan;Submerged Vessels And Other Stories by Vazz. It comes on double vinyl, as well as a file. Really brilliant stuff
After a cursory listen into Malaria!, I like what I hear. Very much in the same vein. And talk about "timely"...I'm a bit bowled over that there is a new issue of more Vazz material since I was under the impression I had it covered. Great news!

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:01 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpztDPMjgRQ

Bakery - No Dying In The Dark

It's best loud

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:24 am

Not new or anything and I may well have posted it before but Boy Harsher - Yr Body Is Nothing is HUGE among the wee Shads and big Shads alike.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Mark Lanegan remix 12',. I mean don't get me wrong, he's got a great voie but I just didn't expet this to work as well as it did, onsidering the shite remixers he's used int he past.

All the individual links are snippets or locked out in the UKso go forth to Shitify to hear it.

Virginia Wing / Xam Duo - Person To Person just preordered this and got the file for this at time of purchase. Mmm saxy! Rolling rotorvated kosmische rhythms coming on like Sherwood dubbing up Lifetones. Really great stuff, I really like both bands and this looks to be a great record.

Furniture - Why are we in love I dusted this down for the songs no one had heard thread and it's just a magnificent thing. The rest of the album is fairly gash but there's magic in these smoky noir grooves and that singular two stroke drum track.

Anna - Systems Breaking Down kinda the halfway house between Minimal wave and electro. Sit's nicely with Tarantula.

JASSS - Cotton For Lunch

Factory Floor - Ya (Klara Lewis Remix) shame this EP is file only, really like this track's humid forth world fug.

Faten Kanaan - Turning into Deer chic as Chanel.

D