Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Mon May 29, 2017 1:32 am

shadowplay wrote:

I'll need to think on the Reggae compilation (Though realted to the Big Youth post The Yabby You one Jesus Dread is good) , I'm from the pre compilation generation. I'll recommend you an amazing album;

Creation rebel - Starship Africa
D
I've listened to it a lot the last week, a beautiful record. I also love their Joint effort with the New Age Steppers. I guess it's time for the Sherwood rabbithole!
shadowplay wrote:
Iona Fortune - Shī 師
Thanks for the great tip, anxious to pick this up from the post office today, really liked her track on Miracle Steps.
nanamour wrote: Charlie Megira & the Bet She'an Valley Hillbillies - Hava NargilaNegev rockabilly equipped with Martin Rev sunglasses
Enjoyed watching them perform, I've a friend who'll love this. Also nice to hear an eko in context, I've got a finger on a prosecco sparkle eko 400 which i'll hopefully pick up in a few weeks.

Cluster - Hollywood Good ride for a monday morning, sounds like they've played with frying pans stuck up their armpits...in a good way!

General Strike - Sea hunt Going after some bond villains with a harpoon gun and a sea mammal of your liking. I adore this album/The Flying Lizards, so quirky and loveable.
Naffi - Krazee music :-*
Bourbonese Qualk - The Last Thing We Have Is Choice

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon May 29, 2017 4:42 am

Nice to see another Bournonese Qualk fan on here.
aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
shadowplay wrote:
Iona Fortune - Shī 師
Thanks for the great tip, anxious to pick this up from the post office today, really liked her track on Miracle Steps.
I absolutely adore this record, spellbindingly beautiful.

Heaven - It's Not Enough didn't have much expectation for this Johnny Jewel production but I think it's a good listen and thankfully avoids the AOR irony that seemed to prevade recent Chromatics

Heaven - Lonesome Town really pretty nice cover

The KVB - Fixation can't think of anything to say about this. It's the KVB, it sounds as pretty much as expected and it's worth buying.

The Unthanks - Bird in the Blue IMO the pick of the Molly Drake tribute record and one of the two unrecorded songs. Sadly no linky

Tewolde Redda - Ab Teqai Kerebi from Eritrea's Guitar Pioneer Singles 1970-7. Really good singles compilation.

Simple Symmetry - Plane Goes East (OST version) Cossack Carpenter

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Tue May 30, 2017 4:18 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tewolde Redda - Ab Teqai Kerebi from Eritrea's Guitar Pioneer Singles 1970-7. Really good singles compilation.

Simple Symmetry - Plane Goes East (OST version) Cossack Carpenter

D
Gonna have to look in the Eritrea one (eko content!), Disco halal is great as usual.

Do you know of the "The Trip. Psychedelic Music from the Hippie Trail" Series?
Found it to be a mixed bag, but there are some great (and remastered) tunes to pick up for sure.
Erkut Taçkın - Sorsam Ki
Samar Iqbal - Khuda Bachaae Sada Gasp!

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue May 30, 2017 3:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkk0iGd724g

The Blackeyed Susans - Smokin' Johnny Cash

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 31, 2017 5:21 am

aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
Do you know of the]"The Trip. Psychedelic Music from the Hippie Trail"
I don't know it but I'll definitely look it up thanks.
The Lost Tapes Record Club - Radio Waves by The Network Orchestra (The Glass Hammer OST) gaslit cinematic hauntology. ep4 of the the tape to vinyl reissue series.

Australian Testing Labs Inc. - Music For Aircooled Motoring can't resist putting this back on today. Superb stuff.

These two are currently filling the Shadowplay home dancefloor, they go together perfectly.

Simple Symmetry - Voodoo Your EX

Andrew Liles - The Great Beast In Outer Space (Josè Manuel Rework) the youngest Shadowplay did her modern dance recital to this recently, fully body painted and headressed! Makes me go bongo crazy too.

Heaven - Lock & Key I think this is the pick from this EP. There's something so lovely and engaging about her vocal tone. So many singers think it's all about balistics and range and not a nie sound you want to hear more of.

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:42 am

shadowplay wrote:The Lost Tapes Record Club - Radio Waves by The Network Orchestra (The Glass Hammer OST) gaslit cinematic hauntology. ep4 of the the tape to vinyl reissue series.
If you are lame like me, you can just get the digital files on Bleep. :shifty:

My son is a fan of the song 'Click Clap' on the First EP. 8)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:20 am

Listening Center - Solaroid amazing library synth wonder FINALLY liberated from it's cassete only origins by Polytechnic Youth and free to roam through the vaulted modular cathedral of the mind.

Komodo Kolektif - Djakarta 3001 (Short Version) humid ethnofuturism from deepest equatorial Glasgow and another amazing release from that rare orchid of local record labels Invisible Inc. Closest thing I can compare it to is magnificent Talk Talk spin off 'O'rang.

Molly Nilsson - About Somebody the Swiss Family Shadowplay are taking an evening promenade to see a Molly Nilsson recital tonight.

Rob Dougan - Furious Angels (instrumental) had to dig out the 12 of this and the album, my neighbour was round and asked me if I knew the music that BBC Radiofive keep playing being their election coverage.

Rob Dougan - Furious Angels Original version

Rob Dougan - Furious Angels (orchestral version)

D

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:11 am

shadowplay wrote:
Molly Nilsson - About Somebody the Swiss Family Shadowplay are taking an evening promenade to see a Molly Nilsson recital tonight.

D
The new album arrived here last week, I need to give it a proper listen through. A quick canter through side one sounded good though.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:41 am

NickD wrote:
shadowplay wrote:

D
The new album arrived here last week, I need to give it a proper listen through. A quick canter through side one sounded good though.
She's worth seeing live, some folk aren't really down with the whole no band thing but I don't really care. Really enjoyed seeing Iona Fortune as part of the same bill.

Since it's on the TT at this very moment;

Coil vs The Eskaton ‎– Nasa-Arab If you didn't know better it could mistaken for Bedouin Ascent or perhaps Muslimgauze. Unfortunately, since it's a glum monday morning of work, I am lacking the drug cocktail that's probably necessary to experience this properly but I'm giving it a go!

D

starflower
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by starflower » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:01 am

Mmmmm...modulated tails on acoustic lead lines, I gotsa try this sometime. Bubbly goodness from NZ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My4j3vgFxbE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sound Director & Composer at Sangwha / General Manager at Moollon Guitars. https://soundcloud.com/andi-roselund

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:25 am

The Home Current - When Waiting Deadly off a really great wee 100 only lathe cut wobbler on Static Caravan. Blood boils to see them on discogs for £50 plus, records are for playing not for selling IMO.

TVAM - Porsche Majure another 100 only lathe on Static Caravan. Kinda reminds me of Salaryman x BOC. There's a car on the sleeve...sadly it's a Subaru Legacy not a Stuttgart product.

I was shopping for records the other day saw a 12' by The System and I thought to myself that it can't be that 'The System' but then I saw the track titles and realised it was the same groups elpee edited to four tracks for a 12 on the always excellent Music from Memory. I own the record but I admit not playing it for years, it fit into that slick post Japan period of modernist pop ambition that was often unrecognised by sales. Worth £12 of anyones money

The System - Pendy! You're In Some Awful Danger appropriately swoonsome

The System - Vampirella

Komodo Kolektif - Night Of The Leyak just fucking superb, like a fearsome battle between Forest Swords and Ancestral voices. I had to look up what a Leyak was, based on the music I was guessing it was a half man/half monitor lizard sort of creature but it's apparently some sort of flying head.

Jah Wobble - A Long Long Way A1 still sounds as amazing at 50 as it did when I was 14

D

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:52 pm

^ Those are all brilliant, waiting for the Komodo Kolektif record to appear for sale locally. I got and love the Sordid Sound System record you posted a while back, Glasgow really seems to be a great place for music right now.
shadowplay wrote:
As you sow, so shall you reap;
Got onboard after your very much appreciated nod to their VOD archive release (which I still dearly lust after).

Made a peculiar discovery recently. Given your liking of folk music-s this might be of interest to you. In any way I'd be interested in your opinion on this.
Ženklo Grupė (Ženklas X) - Ženklas
Came out of my part of the woods around the time the Iron Curtain fell, to the best of my knowledge a singular record of this kind in it's time and place.
Post-modern Folk *ducks* arrangements with instruments usually found in the local folk music like 'birbynė' - a sort of aerophone used by herders, panflute, box zither, etc. . Doesn't quite sound like traditional folklore music (which usually doesn't appeal to me) or anything else i know of for that matter (that's the question I had in mind for you), yet leaves me with a feeling they had spent time in the same meadows as I have.

Coil - The Mothership and The Fatherland just Vast. My copy crackles like crazy, yet I can't bring myself to send it back.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:48 pm

aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
shadowplay wrote:
As you sow, so shall you reap;
Got onboard after your very much appreciated nod to their VOD archive release (which I still dearly lust after).
The box set gets a fair bit of play here - its worth the purchase IMO
aRoseisaRoseis wrote: Coil - The Mothership and The Fatherland just Vast. My copy crackles like crazy, yet I can't bring myself to send it back.
Have you got it on the Prescription repress, on yellow vinyl? If so mine crackles a little too, it might be in the mastering or the pressing either way, I don't think you'll escape the crackle. Either way, a fine choice of song!

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:28 am

NickD wrote: The box set gets a fair bit of play here - its worth the purchase IMO
Nice to hear, I'm sure I'll like it, it's just a bit of a luxury I can't swing at the moment
NickD wrote: Have you got it on the Prescription repress, on yellow vinyl? If so mine crackles a little too, it might be in the mastering or the pressing either way, I don't think you'll escape the crackle. Either way, a fine choice of song!
Yeah, it's the same one. The crackles are sparse yet quite distracting on my setup. The black ones which came a few months earlier are supposedly fine, so you might want to look at those, there are a few for sale in the UK on discogs.

Theo Parrish - Heal Yourself and move A seminal album for me, turned me onto dance music for good at 17. IMO one of the most important detroit house records. Danced a whole week to it upon receiving the recent Peacefrog reissue, so much joy.

Theo Parrish - Sky Walking

Rick Wilhite - Drum Patterns & Memories off kilter, bouncy bee-gees sampling hot mess of a track.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:32 am

aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
Made a peculiar discovery recently. Given your liking of folk music-s this might be of interest to you. In any way I'd be interested in your opinion on this.
Ženklo Grupė (Ženklas X) - Ženklas
That's magic, I'll be watching out for a copy, many, many thanks. Actually sounds a wee bit like REVBJELDE.

RE: Astral Disaster, my black copy is fine, as are the two older kids ones, probably better than my original which has a really loud pop at one point but you know...1/99, so can't really complain. I've a Threshold House (these were reworked) copy on red (with a drawing) and Mrs S has a charoal one. I bought the yellow one, it is indeed a bit crackly but I'm not unhappy with it, if you've been a Coil fan for a while these actually look competent. The vinyl after the CD era was often not what it could be, I think they thought CD was better suited to the music.

It looks like I'm 'collecting' like it's Beanie Babies but I'm a Coil superfan in a house of Coil superfans and own editions that came with phials of blood or worse still smeared with the stuff , records that came in boxes and I also bought the Absinthe. Way back in the World Serpent period deliveries of all the bands on the roster were so maddeningly inconsistent we used to joke they only delivered when the hearse pulled by 6 black horses wasn't booked for funerals.

I'm so happy more people seem to have found Coil, Mrs S used to joke that you got a free Prince Albert with your first purchase but these days it's a broader churh of admirers.

Btw if you don't have it try and get a copy of the compilation on Mannequin, it's a good selection. Their original record label Recloose Organisation put out some earlu Muslimgauze and the Muslimgauze related EG Oblique Graph record.

Muslimgauze ‎– Buddhist On Fire is a brilliant record but not unlike Coil i'm such a fan I can't really be impartial.

The E.G. Oblique Graph record to buy is actually a 2x12 reissue on Vinyl on Demand called Complete Oblique You get the lot without having to enter the nnoying world of the C60.

Some youtube links.

D