Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 16, 2018 2:43 am

Them Are Us Too - Grey Water just preordered this and thought I'd try out the earlybird track. Very much a Cocteau Twins neighbour but definitely a cut above Project Darkwavers like Autumn's Grey Solace. Sadly tinged with some sadness since the guitarist perished in the Ghost Ship fire in Oakland.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 16, 2018 7:20 am

Unloved - When a Woman is Around pulled this out again since most of the Killing Eve soundtrack is Unloved and I feel it achieves peak smokey eyed vocal.

Unloved - Guilty of Love

Unloved - I Could Tell You, But I'd Have To Kill You probably my favorite on the album. kinda Noise Made By People and into HaHa sound era Broadcasty.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 17, 2018 4:14 am

Womansaid - Soft Hellline up yer handbags for a rollicking death slosh from the mean streets of Glasgow (actually a stray Altered Image ;) ).

Organs Of Love his other band on Optimo were fucking great; Organs Of Love - facefuck

I Killed My Boy off the WomenSaid EP is down the same piss stained lane as Organs of Love, kinda like Sons and Daughters crossed with The Birthday Party.

Sex Judas feat. Ricky -- All Good Junkies literally just through the door and also on Optimo is this stupefunky slice of streetstrut!

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu May 17, 2018 11:22 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri May 18, 2018 3:36 am

Perfect Mother - Dark Disco - Da. Da. Da. Da. Da. Run awesome tar black gutter pulse.

James Ray And The Performance - Edie Sedgwick kinda popped into my head a few bars into the above.

other than that I've been getting to know the new GAS elpee Rausch, oh it's fucking gorgeous.

Only a trailer up but if you get my drift...you'll get thee drift.

Our Solar System - En Bit Av Det Tredje Klotet utterly transcendent Swedish cosmic motorik ownder

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 22, 2018 2:56 am

Young Guv - 2 Sad 2 Funk sounds like Pallers or Koraleven (or even late model Fra Lippo Lippi) after taking an extended snorkel in cough mixture. Summer is here(ish).

Nocturnal Projections - You'll Never Know just given a complete catalogue release on Dais who are doing gods work more often than not. I have this 12' but nothing else by them. Pretty much canon Post Punk hovering betwixt The Sound, the Banshees, UK Decay and Joy Division.

Concretism - New Governments for a New Nation I wanted to pick The View From Pye Green Tower but no linky available. This album is a must if you like the idea of a three way venn between the BOC, The Advisory Circle and Pye Corner Audio.

The System - Vampirella years ahead of the game.

Tomaga - The Whitest Light not sure if this is the top of the Tomaga tree after a couple of sensational EP's but they've set a high bar and I've only listened once so far. This makes me think of Bruce Gilbert for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.

The Left Outsides - All Those I Danced With Are Gone For me this album is a great EP really, not due to quality, merely due to taste and me not liking the more up and at em 60's style tracks. The delicate folk ballads on the other hand are totally my thing.

The Left Outsides - The Ballad of Elm Tree Hill

WomenSaid - The Red Eye'd Raven this great 12' by a former Altered Image has been on the TT all weekend.

Confidence Man - Better Sit Down Boy three and half minutes of absolute mind losing.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Wed May 23, 2018 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 23, 2018 2:53 am

Really enjoying the new Advisory Circle album, nice reference in the title and good sleeve with some fandango gold foiling and photography catalogue referencing. No full tracks online but plenty of clips here. I'd probably have chosen the track Scuba given the choice.

from the sublime to the ridiculous and doubly ridiculous dancing round the room :ph34r:

The March Violets - Snake Dance :w00t:

Essaie Pas - Lights Out (Orphx Remix) techno fashioned from a home made didgeridoo knocked up from a few (obviously stolen) plastic pipes.

Matt Johnson - Red Cinders in the Sand oddly in retrospect this sounds almost like a collaboration between Foetus and TAGC.

Broken English Club - Godless TV people...here's your soundtrack for that scene in a German fetish club.

Sterile Hand – Security and here's the alternative

D

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Wed May 23, 2018 5:26 am

shadowplay wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:53 am

Matt Johnson - Red Cinders in the Sand oddly in retrospect this sounds almost like a collaboration between Foetus and TAGC.

D
That sounds like a recommendation if ever I heard one.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed May 23, 2018 6:13 am

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed May 23, 2018 6:18 am

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed May 23, 2018 2:31 pm

Thought of this one today , a nice line in topical humour still applicable today

Creedence Clearwater Revival - It Came Out of the Sky

Which then reminded me of this one
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Walk On The Water

which I first heard in this version
Richard Hell and The Voidoids - "Walking on the Water"

It is an unusual song in lyrics and music compared to the rest of the songs by CCR and is rarely heard.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 24, 2018 1:08 am

windmill wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:13 am
Laughing Clowns- Sometimes
Nice one.

I saw the Laughing Clowns supporting the Birthday Party.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 24, 2018 2:27 am

Ora Iso - Deep Fix butts squalling no wave guitar peals up against CRANES style deadly doll music box horror. As must if you're a fan of everything from MASS, to Lydia Lunch, to Clay Rendering.

Luster & Beta Evers - Eternal (Ancient Methods Autumn Mix) There's something in those Ancient Methods waters that just gets me in the mood for some totally inept Cossack dancing. Huy, huy, huy, huy, huy, huy, huy, huy...

Luster & Beta Evers - Eternal (Ancient Methods Mild Pitch Remix) this is less charging over the steppes with you sabre swinging than a steamy sex disco in a mausoleum.

Death In Vegas - Rocco 12' dub mix I had a dream about this. In it I was awoken in the night by music coming from the garage and I opened the garage door to find this playing in one of the cars with the doors open. I switched it off and went back to bed (in my dream) only to find it was playing again. The car obviously had access to music other than my own because I don't own this on digital only vinyl. I love how they keep you waiting nearly 4 minutes for the frenzied waccawacca.

Death in Vegas - Rocco (single version) I had an idea that I'd probably find I'd moved on from this and it would come across as naive and bit dated but it's a fucking banger.

Client - Someone to Hurt obviously they had been surveilling Ladytron but I still really like this and kinda wish they'd pressed it as a single.

Robert Görl - Love in Mind with added Anna Karina dancing video.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri May 25, 2018 2:56 am

The Advisory Circle - No way Back beautiful woozy pop song, a vocal Advisory Circle track is rarer than the Yeti.

The Advisory Circle - Scuba totally swoonsome track...all love rushes and winsome yearning.

D

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Fri May 25, 2018 3:50 am

^^^ Picked the album up so I'll give the whole thing a listen at the weekend.