Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:02 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:55 am
The Flowers - (Life) After Dark beloved local mongrel with splendid lyrics (you can read in the comments). I was playing the single but this upload sounds way better than the seven upload.
Rough and catchy. I like it. :)

Venice Lockjaw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Venice Lockjaw » Tue May 01, 2018 8:23 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:11 am
Some of it is slightly unexplainable since I seem to have a knack of buying stuff blind and randomly that I like and I've been at this a long time so I have good instincts for music for me at least.

I also just spend the time in record shops browsing, usually with a few kids in tow, I also go through near enough every record that comes through Juno (some genres aside) and do the same more universally with Boomkat, Bleep, Phonica and Norman. Then I follow labels and run down leads that way and just try and make connections. I seldom look at blogs or online magazines but I buy The Wire and I do look through NTS radio playlists and the like every few months and pick up the odd thing that way and I'll look through FACT mixes and that sort of thing but seldom listen to them.

I also try to get on good terms with label employees or bosses, not really for free stuff and special treatment but mainly for the musical discussion and to share tips. and recommendations. I'll always ask a DJ what something is if I don't know it and even if I do know what their playign I'd usually try and offer my complements.

Hard to say how I'd do it if I was younger but basically 95% of what I know about music has been gleaned buying records as they were released and the stuff I know about records made before I was in the game was gained in a really random and organic way.

It's a bit easier now, back in the 80's I used to have to buy a lot of records off a printed sheet from a distributer like the Cartel or similar, or with stuff I knew existed but had no real idea how to go about it like German music of the 70's. When I was feeling it out around the turn from 70's to 80's, I used to go to record fairs and ask the prog dealers to stick all the german stuff in a box and let me take it off their hands and I'd sort it out later. I also used to just buy boxes of records, sort through them and donate the rest...I'm a hoarder but not a hoarder of just any record, for example I don't even own records by a lot of the big rock grandees, it's never really interested em, well I do but they were listened to, stuck in a box in a lockup and given away when I found a home for them. Mrs S has some in her collection but our record collections are totally separate but even she'd admit her collection pre meeting me and after is totally different.

With Jazz and records that are totally outside my social sphere I've ended up with collection of the corners of the jigsaw and probably not a lot of the dead centre, either because I was just buying for the sleeve and sorting it out later or because I gravitated towards the end that most reflected my interests in other spheres. like say liking repetition and not liking lots of wanky solos, to much pre 60' and anything bluesy. Same with classical i suppose, where my tastes are more Medieval and minimal and Musik Fur Kinder style anti bombast. This is probably a totally half arsed way of going about it and terrible as it may seem buying a pile of classical records and needle dropping the whole pile in 30 minutes is my usual way of getting my bearing with anything I don't know.

I think with music you just find your own way, it's propably something of a weakness in my methodology and character but pretty much every genre has to get it's square peg through my round hole.

D
I really appreciate the detailed response. I'm always impressed by the volume and quality of music you contribute to this community, and have often marveled at how you accumulated it. A lot of it does seem to come down to experience, and knowing how to navigate and find what you like after honing those skills for a long time. There aren't very many cool record stores where I live, so it's rare to find anything I want when I'm out. Music review sites can be useful to keep up with or learn about some releases, but it does seem like a lot of interesting stuff falls through and is barely noticed. You yourself have proved an invaluable resource for discovering a host of artists I've never heard of, hence my interest.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 02, 2018 3:32 am

Venice Lockjaw wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:23 pm
Music review sites can be useful to keep up with or learn about some releases, but it does seem like a lot of interesting stuff falls through and is barely noticed.
You're not wrong there a lot of the time I find something and can barely believe it's not covered everywhere, I'm not meaning difficult or obscure music I'm talking singer songwriter stuff that has no barrier to entry.

I'm glad you've found some use in my often incoherent ramblings, rantings and ravings.

In other news one that might go down well with Mrs Jaguar018 if I've read her taste correctly. It's certainly gone down well with Mrs S who told me to get her one with my next order.

Tess Roby - Given Signs (only link I can find is shitify)Just in this morning. I bought her EP last year but it got a bit lost and probably just as well because I'm now hearing the album afresh. I like it, it's quite 80's but not in the usual Italian Do it Better style, it's more like the milky Frazier Chorus end of the 4AD pool or some Italian band inspired by them like Violet Eves, and in the case of Given Signs tests positive for Durruti Column and the spangling guitar of Maurice Deebank. She's also got a bit of a Cherry Red 'head girl' style of singing really clear and perfectly articulate, likes she's getting elocution lessons and totally un rock n roll. ::)

Sadly Spotify is the only link on the block but here's a very close to the recorded version live version from yootoob where those who care can see a nice Japanese thinline tele like the one Maggie O has.

Tess Roby - Beacon

I'm curious to how this album is going to go, it's not a million miles from Carman Villian Infinite avenue , a record I absolutely love, while not being anything near as good and I'm curious if the Italians Do it Better Brand translate into sales or more importantly inclusion in TV shows and the like which is the thing that really helped the labels profile.

Lucrecia Dalt - Tar :-* Oh it's love with this one, it's just so sensous and your feel she's singing just to you. I've been into her music for years and she just keeps moving it on. i love the heavy lidded fourthworldisms of this and the way it reminds me a wee bit of Japan.

Frazier Chorus - Sloppy Heart
it's a bit soppy and floppy fringed and I've just noticed and not exactly amazing but I reminded myself of it and took a wee donner down the F's to pull and play it before shelving it for another 30 years. The bee is better but it reminds me of Ian Brodie and that's not a good thing.

Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus - Shadowlands if you like early Dead Can Dance pull up a chair.

Zombie Zombie ‎– Hippocampe great slice of acidkosmische that bumps along like no wheel on their wagon is fully round. Etienne Jaumet* is a member of James Holden and The Animal Spirits,

Zombie Zombie - Hippocampe live at Mikrokosm Recording Studios 1 which a fuckton of fancy gear and outboard.

Zombie Zombie - Hippocampe (Wolf Müller Remix) Wolf retrofits the original with a heavy fug of On the Corner attitude.

*Btw if you are into weightless impressionistic dream folk and semi obscure lost French freakfolk chanteuse then you might like this beautiful record; Etienne Jaumet, Emmanuelle Parrenin, Eat Gas - Volturnus

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 02, 2018 4:34 am

Btw I don't post much 'guitar' (or piano) music so I'm putting this is a separate post so I dosen't get lost in the disco.

I'd probably have missed this record if it wasn't on Optimo Music.

Jacob Yates - The Hare, The Moon, The Drone. If I didn't know better I'd think he was Australian (he's a Glaswegian), he's got that blasted Aussie noir about him, cut with a dose of Scottish folk romanticism. File alongside Crime and the City Solution, The Gun Club, The Bad Seeds, Leonard Cohen, Thin White Rope, Earth etc.

D

P.S; he doesn't sound much like them but I keep being reminded of Cindytalk in tracks like The Drone, more a ghost feeling than a real thing.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:45 am

shadowplay wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:32 am
In other news one that might go down well with Mrs Jaguar018 if I've read her taste correctly. It's certainly gone down well with Mrs S who told me to get her one with my next order.

Tess Roby - Given Signs (only link I can find is shitify)Just in this morning. I bought her EP last year but it got a bit lost and probably just as well because I'm now hearing the album afresh. I like it, it's quite 80's but not in the usual Italian Do it Better style, it's more like the milky Frazier Chorus end of the 4AD pool or some Italian band inspired by them like Violet Eves, and in the case of Given Signs tests positive for Durruti Column and the spangling guitar of Maurice Deebank. She's also got a bit of a Cherry Red 'head girl' style of singing really clear and perfectly articulate, likes she's getting elocution lessons and totally un rock n roll. ::)

Sadly Spotify is the only link on the block but here's a very close to the recorded version live version from yootoob where those who care can see a nice Japanese thinline tele like the one Maggie O has.

Tess Roby - Beacon
Thanks! I'll see what she thinks. 8)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 03, 2018 3:40 am

Goldfrapp - Annabel a must if you've a place in your heart for gauzy 1960's film themes like I Start Counting or an are for dappled sunlight chanson. Tales of Us is a great album that suffers very slightly from a slightly weaker tail.

Goldfrapp - Alvar ]Goldfrapp - Alvar

Goldfrapp - Jo

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 08, 2018 5:48 am

Mary Epworth - Me Swimming really nice mildly retrofuturist pop.

Mary Epworth - Me Swimming (Richard Norris Remix) Richard cooks up a delicious steaming pot of French disko that's sure to make your mascara run.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 09, 2018 3:39 am

Michal Turtle - On The Plateau what strikes me about the hitherto unknown to me music of Michal Turtle is the contradictions present within. On the surface he's an EG Editions style fourth worlder, a pupil of Sakamoto and Hassell but there's an often Coil depth darkness underneath tracks like Are You Psychic and his funk excursions are near as clipped and discombobulated and chaotic as Clock DVA or TAGC or at least out Savant way and while he wears a Hassell like slickness, he's almost more at home hanging with 23 Skidoo. Music from Memory is totally on fire at the moment with brilliant releases standing nose to tail.

Michal Turtle - Are You Psychic? fucking magic track, it's scarcely believable that he did it on a portastudio

Michal Turtle - Phantoms Of Dreamland

Jacco Gardner - Find Yourself (Richard Norris Mix)

Thành Mái - Tóc Mai Sợi Vắn Sợi Dài (Long, Uneven Hair) hot humid and pokes like a sharpened knitting needle.

The Bug - Poison Dart feat. Warrior Queen sometimes you've just got to give yer big speakas the full window rattling hell. Incredibly unseemly dancing to this by me and Mrs S, thankfully only witnessed by a bemused Maine Coon and thankfully the single ended just as my back started to go!

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 10, 2018 4:40 am

Dubstar - Stars 12 inch was unpriced in the local charity shop and they threw it in with a Foster Cornish pottery vase, Hornsea Coffee set and Birtwell print blouse I was buying (all obviously from the same donator), I already had the seven I paid 35p for out a bargain bin.

I quite like ]Not So Manic now, it sounds super of it's time and (I'm getting old) the drums are too loud but it's a good wee song.

I also got this which I already had but it's in good nick and pretty collectable. I had a bit of a moral quandary, it was 50p and I knew it was worth a hundred times that but it wasn't graded and I'd not be buying it at that money anyway, so I gave them a fiver and promised them a box of CD's next time I was down one of the lockups and felt OK because I'd never sell it anyway, so value is ephemeral and at a guess I'd imagine 9 out of ten finders would discogs this in a heartbeat.

Anna Karina - Roller Girl

D

Venice Lockjaw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Venice Lockjaw » Thu May 10, 2018 4:24 pm

I’ve recently been listening to a lot of Phil Elverum’s music, and (having been in the throes of a low-key obsession for a couple weeks now) while browsing his website I discovered this 2006 release by Canadian artist Wyrd Visions that Phil rereleased on his personal label a few years ago. I’ve not much experience with this style of music, but I’m no less captivated by it despite (or perhaps because of) its unfamiliarity. Phil calls it “Ancient and northern music,” and it’s all worth a listen, but there’s nothing more gripping than the opening track ”Sigill”, and whenever it’s on I feel as though I can see the men of ancient Scandinavia struggling against the sea as they head out for doom, or glory on wooden ships.

https://m.soundcloud.com/p-w-elverum/si ... sions-from

If anyone knows of similar artists, I’d be eager to hear them.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Fri May 11, 2018 5:00 am

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon May 14, 2018 3:47 am

Confidence Man - Try Your LuckTook me a wee while to check out the host organism after the deadly Weatherall remix from last you.

Peak Antipodean poptimism, funny, sassy and as cheeky as that Athena poster with the tennis player scratching her arse. The albums all over the place; one minute coming on like Loose Joints, popping it's cheek like Dee Light, pumping it like a hyperactive teenage Golden Teacher on special measures, hopping on the S- Express, channeling Yello at their most trashy, lovable and preposterous, riffling through War's drawers, popping their bubblegum at LCD Soundsystem, sucking really hard on some Glass Candy, twisting their curls to Sylvester, stealing Screamadelica when it's back is turned and there's no getting a way from this...how you hoped Girls Aloud should really sound. The full 12' inches of party, full of E numbers and more artificial colouring than Donald Trump and

Confidence Man -- Boyfriend (Repeat)

Confidence Man - Don't You Know I'm In A Band (Red Axes Remix)

Confidence Man - Bubblegum (Andy Weatherall Remix) SO good...total bump and grind bombashell!

Confidence Man - Bubblegum ...if the Free Design had the right drugs!

Confidence Man - Don’t You Know I’m In A Band]Confidence Man - Don’t You Know I’m In A Band Yello go to War!

Deserve to be MASSIVE.

Not everyone agrees, as evidenced by some trad rock gammon's getting their 'traditional' y-fronts with the 'PROPER MUSIC' waistband in a twist after some aussie radio station said they were good live.

two absolute fruitcakes running around like someone spiked the punch at the school disco
Y'see...that sounds great to me.

D

slavemaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by slavemaster » Mon May 14, 2018 1:16 pm

We got people playing stringed instruments! It's the end of days.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 15, 2018 7:59 am

Confidence Man - Better Sit Down Boy a total joy, a full on party banger that makes me dance round the house like a complete twat.

Confidence Man – C.O.O.L Party I'm a cool party girl in a cool party world...at least for three minutes!

Ossia - Hell Dub/Devil's Dance NOT the soundtrack to the party of the year but a full ten inches of subterranean chasmic solid steel.

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed May 16, 2018 12:18 am