Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:10 am

aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:05 pm
Henri Texier - Le Piroguier (Be Svendsen Edit) Usually not big on edits, found this to be straightforward, functional and simply well done.
Sigurd Cochius - Indianenmars a bone dry strut through dusky Constantinople.
Borusiade -An Aquarian Feeling On heavy rotation the last two weeks, have been catching up with her radio show for Comeme, which I found to be consistently brilliant and just hitting ridiculously many right spots.
Some great choices there. Big fan of Borusiade, had the album on a lot the last few weeks and the singles are all fantastic.

I've been playing the Creepshow (John Grant + Wrangler) album to death. Absolutely loving the Virgin years Cabaret Voltaire goes troublefunky tip.

Creep Show - Safe and Sound

Creepshow - Mr Dynamite Mr yootoob dickhead; ' I really hope the next John Grant album has nothing to do with this electronic shit. If so, I will be an ex-fan. Sorry, but this music sucks.'

Creep Show - Modern Parenting

Creepshow - Endangered Species real Billy Mackenzie feel here

and a couple more off the amazing Uneven Paths comp;

Brenda And The Beachballs - Dancing Thru' The Night -

Lost Gringos - Tambo Machay totally magick long term favourite

LOVING this but no links up as yet. Was a real fingers on the trigger order at high noon yesterday.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:40 am

Instant Music - My Boy a must have for fans of Young marble Giants, since they aren't unlike a Munich YMG. Just been reissued, sounds very good but a bit odd that my old one is a ten and the reissue is a 12.

Ski Und Der Rest - Das Schönste Auf Der Welt the singer in the above was in this slightly more conventional band. My version of this is a single and it's a wee bit differnent but fine to post as an illustration. Not unlike Rheingold in the panthenon of German post punk .

Au Pairs ‎– It's Obvious absolute unimpeachable classic perfection

Boy Harsher - Pain (The Soft Moon remix) not a patch on the magnificent original but OK

Boy Harsher - Pain just a fucking great track that just begs for the biggest speakas and the full strobe!

Lonelady - Little fugue orphan track from the Hinterland sessions. Kinda sounds like the missing link between the first album and Hinterland.

John Grant - Voodoo Doll (Gwenno and Peski kid Remix)

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:37 am

Linda Perhacs - Winds of the Sky like it says on the tin, it soars! If you're looking for the perfect soundtrack to a waltz through the cherry blossoms in your nightie...look no further. Btw I just noticed this has a solo by Nels Cline.

Eric Random - Skin Deep this is the polar opposite of soaring, this is sperlunking echo wrecked sewerdub.

Death In Vegas - You Disco I Freak (Silent Servant Remix) Juan totally hollows this out, pushing poor Sasha Grey to the side of the plate and ushering in a thready lowlight pulse beset with whipcrack reverb.

Death in Vegas - You Disco I Freak

Marie - Marterpfahl Teutonic minimalism to the maximum

Soft Cell - Memorabilia always handy to have you drug dealer around both for the pills and for a handy vocal cameo. I was playing this and the Luke Solomon 12' mix that came out a few years and the good times were indeed rolling, even if I was pill free.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:09 am

wrath
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wrath » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:31 am

Waging a one man's war against Spotify.

Hang in there. You'll defeat those dastardly algorithms one day.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:11 pm

wrath wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:31 am

I can defeat them all day every day with confidence, they'll never know the lines between the lines, between the lines.

I don't need any help finding music, never have, never will and that goes double with the likes of Spotify, which is inferior to how I get my music anyway.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:43 am

Doris Norton - Caution Radiation Norton I had this already but picked up the reissue that came out the other day in search of pristine grooves. Her records are fun and a bit kitsch but this had a futurist elegance to it.

Grouper - Parking Lot Gorgeous. Pretty much leaving off where Ruins ended, perhaps more hopeful.

Vainqueur - Antistatic II exquisite audio brutalism...You took a mystery and made me want it. You got a (turntable) pedestal and put me on it. You made me love you out of feeling nothing :)

Karl O'Connor - Here And Now (German Version) a grim clanking cha-cha like Coil fed through a PC's internal speaker.

Sandra Electronics -Her Needs (1999) fauvist battleship grey motorik 'billy.

Sandra Electronics - Her Needs (Version 2)

Phase Fatale & Silent Servant - Confess I confess to loving this total speaker ripper and they didn't need to put me in the stress position. Sadly Mrs S told me to turn this down because it was disturbing her yoga or yogurt or stalwart (if only), it was hard to tell because I refused but she just pushed past and killed it entirely.

Underground Resistance - The Seawolf Somewhere in the depths of our vast seas lurks the seaman's most feared nightmare, Seawolf. A German U-Boat of destruction and mayhem for all who dare to cross it's path. Underground Resistance warns you of Seawolf. I'm not man enough to play this at pitch, I cower at -2 cuddling the ships cat and eyeing the lifeboats.

(yes that ) Arthur Brown & Richard Wahnfried ( Klaus Schulze ) - Time Actor dreamy proto techno with added God of Hellfire.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:26 am

Our Solar System - Monte Verita Shivering silver spangled motorik running on the sort of clean energy that will comfortably get you to the nearest star. Only just pre-ordered this couldn't sound out of place on Deep Distance.

Lay Llamas - Silver Sun momomomomomomomomore momomomomomomomotorik (and another preorder), this time all fired up with , skronky and saxy.

Lay Llamas – Silver Sun (Negra Branca's Red Sun Remix) remixed by Marlene Ribeiro Gnod's soundworld boffin who released an 12' EP I really liked the other year.

Holy Worms the other side of this digital single is really great too.

MIEN – Earth Moon. Impulse snagged this when ordering the Llamas. Something of a super group featuring The Black Angels’ Alex Maas, The Horrors’ Tom Furse, Elephant Stone’s Rishi Dhir and The Earlies’ John-Mark Lapham. Groovy big beat psyche that's midway between seeking a guru and hanging out with Gong in Ibiza. It's kinda similar in some ways to the other Tom Furse thing Innerspace Orchestra Manfred Man cover with Cathy Lucas of Vanishing Twin. I was suffering some buyer remorse, since it conjures some unwelcome images in my head but Mrs S took it on and I've warmed to it.

Sordid Sound System - You & Me you need to hang around for the second half of this.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:56 am

So I was doing some archeology over at the "Offsets on youtube" thread and from a decade ago this earworm bobbed up

Crazy - Gnarls Barkley - Randy George (Crazy Theremin Jam)

:)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:37 am

Sorrow - Die this album coming out on vinyl was something of a dream come true. I'm sure I've bigged it up on here in the past and I'm going to big it up again. Voice of an angel, a true Rose among the thorns.

Sorrow - A Garland From The Moon this was on the black stuff originally and it's a heart piercing beauty...sob...

I'm also REALLY enjoying the new Head Technician (Pye Corner Audio) record, I only ordered it yesterday so it's not here yet but someone who isn't patient has been playing the file that came with it and it's fantastic. Demolition is as good a track as any to sample.

Zola Jesus - Pilot Light in a short period this has become one of my favourite Zola Jesus songs. Slightly yes vocal bazooka and more intimate. Short and sweet.

D

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:27 pm

I listened to that Vainquer track while strolling through berlin doing some work on thursday, as cliched as it sounds it felt as fitting and groundbreaking as it probably did 20 years ago, chain reaction/basic channel has such a timeless sound :-*
Wasn't aware of that Pye Corner Audio side project, listened to the samples and it sounds fucking great, looking forward to it.
It also made me dig out this belter of a track, there's no shame in having a little watery-eyed dance around the kitchen, right?
Mathew Jonson - Marionette

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:13 am

Elma Orkestra - Drive

From the forthcoming LP Flutter: Part One which I think you can stream here if you have the Spotify. I really like what I've heard of it so far.

Venice Lockjaw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Venice Lockjaw » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:43 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:11 pm
wrath wrote:

I can defeat them all day every day with confidence, they'll never know the lines between the lines, between the lines.

I don't need any help finding music, never have, never will and that goes double with the likes of Spotify, which is inferior to how I get my music anyway.

D
I would be curious to know your methods.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:11 am

Venice Lockjaw wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:43 pm
shadowplay wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:11 pm
wrath wrote:

D
I would be curious to know your methods.
Some of it is slightly unexplainable since I seem to have a knack of buying stuff blind and randomly that I like and I've been at this a long time so I have good instincts for music for me at least.

I also just spend the time in record shops browsing, usually with a few kids in tow, I also go through near enough every record that comes through Juno (some genres aside) and do the same more universally with Boomkat, Bleep, Phonica and Norman. Then I follow labels and run down leads that way and just try and make connections. I seldom look at blogs or online magazines but I buy The Wire and I do look through NTS radio playlists and the like every few months and pick up the odd thing that way and I'll look through FACT mixes and that sort of thing but seldom listen to them.

I also try to get on good terms with label employees or bosses, not really for free stuff and special treatment but mainly for the musical discussion and to share tips. and recommendations. I'll always ask a DJ what something is if I don't know it and even if I do know what their playign I'd usually try and offer my complements.

Hard to say how I'd do it if I was younger but basically 95% of what I know about music has been gleaned buying records as they were released and the stuff I know about records made before I was in the game was gained in a really random and organic way.

It's a bit easier now, back in the 80's I used to have to buy a lot of records off a printed sheet from a distributer like the Cartel or similar, or with stuff I knew existed but had no real idea how to go about it like German music of the 70's. When I was feeling it out around the turn from 70's to 80's, I used to go to record fairs and ask the prog dealers to stick all the german stuff in a box and let me take it off their hands and I'd sort it out later. I also used to just buy boxes of records, sort through them and donate the rest...I'm a hoarder but not a hoarder of just any record, for example I don't even own records by a lot of the big rock grandees, it's never really interested em, well I do but they were listened to, stuck in a box in a lockup and given away when I found a home for them. Mrs S has some in her collection but our record collections are totally separate but even she'd admit her collection pre meeting me and after is totally different.

With Jazz and records that are totally outside my social sphere I've ended up with collection of the corners of the jigsaw and probably not a lot of the dead centre, either because I was just buying for the sleeve and sorting it out later or because I gravitated towards the end that most reflected my interests in other spheres. like say liking repetition and not liking lots of wanky solos, to much pre 60' and anything bluesy. Same with classical i suppose, where my tastes are more Medieval and minimal and Musik Fur Kinder style anti bombast. This is probably a totally half arsed way of going about it and terrible as it may seem buying a pile of classical records and needle dropping the whole pile in 30 minutes is my usual way of getting my bearing with anything I don't know.

I think with music you just find your own way, it's propably something of a weakness in my methodology and character but pretty much every genre has to get it's square peg through my round hole.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 01, 2018 4:55 am

aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:27 pm
I listened to that Vainquer track while strolling through berlin doing some work on thursday, as cliched as it sounds it felt as fitting and groundbreaking as it probably did 20 years ago, chain reaction/basic channel has such a timeless sound :-*
Yes still timeless.

If you like the more drifting side of Chain Reaction and GAS you might like Space Afrika.

Space Afrika - Somewhere Decent To Live

Dennis Young - Starlight, Starbright. Dennis was the percussionist in Liquid Liquid and this is from a rather excellent collection of his old modular meanderings. There's actually a new one out on the same label but I can't find anything to link to off that at the moment but you can sniff some snippets over at juno.

Madonna - Lucky Star Shine your heavenly body tonight!

Coil - London's Lost Rivers (Black Light Version) just bought the reissue, I already had it but any new Coil vinyl is to be cherished. Not just the lost rivers of London but the lost canals between this world and the aetherworld

jennygoesdirty - amoureux solitaires super sexy chic n hot acidchanson action and stonking cover of the well creepy Lio originale. Ahh...takes me back to my days playing this to rubber fetishists (A little plastic beauty) and some images I can't unsee.

Antoni Maiovvi - Hot Biology this is the seven inch for you if you're an aerobic instructor lookign to totally pump it up!

John Grant - VoodooDoll (Satellites Remix) fully discoed!

The Flowers - (Life) After Dark beloved local mongrel with splendid lyrics (you can read in the comments). I was playing the single but this upload sounds way better than the seven upload.

D