Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:43 am

NickD wrote:
shadowplay wrote:Raime - Dialling In, Falling Out Ultimate minimal guitar prowl.

D
The basslines across the whole of Tooth are amazing. Great album.
Agreed, it's an amazing statement of simpliity bringing power and actualy being quite a difficult thing, there's no place to hide.

Going to watch this later tonight on the big screen with the full mob, one of the few bands I want to see but haven't. Watched the first five, quality looks great.

Mueran Humanos Boiler Room x NRMAL Festival 2017 Live

Amazing band, they crackle with malevolent power.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc3OOkA8LDw

Lobby Loyde and the Coloured Balls - GOD

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:37 am

Peter Howell & John Ferdinando - The Alice Theme

Had the Trunk Fuzzy Felt Folk compilation on a lot this week, it's brilliantly compiled and the more jaunty tunes are great for the very young (our guests 3 year old).

Basil Kirchin & Lindsey Moore - I Start Counting (demo) a bit better than the finished OST single IMO

Peggy Zeitlin - Spin Spider Spin I like to play this on my guitar to any child that's unfortunate enough to encounter me with a guitar handy.

Arthur Birkby - Cuckoo

Keith Seatman - all hold hands and off we go fabulous hauntological buzzing spindizzy

Jean Pierre Decerf - Black safari high end French library maestro. Comp link; SPACE ODDITIES 1975​-​1978

Jean Pierre Decerf - Surounding Seas

Jean Pierre Decerf - Dreams In the Wind

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:31 am

Asha Bhosle & R. D. Burman ‎- Dum Maro Dum I've had this album for years but never saw the scene this was in until the other day. Killer bassline and all round grooviness. apart from the fucking hippies...fuck the hippies.

Savage Hymn - La Vida Sigue Igual

not a million miles from

Liaisons Dangereuses - Los Niños Del Parque It shows my age and lack of musical progess when I say I was at this concert.

Rheingold - Dreiklangsdimensionen one of those records I just bought for the sleeve and because Grauzone were on the same label. It's kinda like a teutonic Jump Into The Fire... AOR motorik and the end almost strays under Gold Dust Woman's petticoats. A big going out record up in the Glasgow Demoratic Republic.

Rico C (Conning) ‎– Frogmore genius engineer (who worked with everyone from Coil to SWANS to Wire to Torch Song) and Lines member with a decent effort, named after and featuring one of those offset guitars things.

Also featuring the same guitar; The Lines - White Night Torch Song also did this but it had a dodgy geetar break in it.

IMO The Lines got better as they went on and if anyone doesn't own it I recommend their lost album from last year (but recorded before 83') Hull Down strongly.

The Lines – Haberdasher

Coil - The Anal Staircase (A Dionysian Remix By Rico Conning)

SKIN - Girl: Come Out In these times when Miley Cyrus is prancing about with one to her tween audience, a song about strapon sex is no biggie, but it was mildly novel in 86'. More Rico

SKIN - One Thousand Years just a fucking AMAZING song, I'm not exaggerating, truly amazing and if you don't own this record (I'd buy the 12' for the other versions) remedy that pronto.

Jarboe - Lavender Girl this is such a beautiful song, gorgeous words too.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:39 am

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:02 am

Some French (too late for?) post punk/coldwave for today

Bonaparte's - Battle of Lena https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lHzn43LgRE

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:40 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVADTXseAX0

Go-Go’s – Surfing and Spying

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:37 am

^^^

I've got that album.

Red Axes - Ride the Sus at first glance Red Axes have come back as psyche band but

Red Axes - What Is In Your Head cool Ovation Magnum in the video.

Red Axes - Talmood

Nurse with Wound - Devil is this the night as Elton John once said ??? ; I guess it's why they call it the blues...errr blacks...

The Modern Art - Discover had this album as a cassette but very happy to buy it again as an elpee, though some tracks have been thrown out and new/old tracks like this have been parachuted in. It's all about the bass, of course it's stolen bass but the thief had a good ear.

SM Nurse - On and On Kinda like a minmal wave Banana Spits theme.

Vatican Shadow - Luxor Necropolitics shimmering majesty beautifully cut with percussion that sounds like close miked game of table tennis.

Alleged Witches - Witches Mark number one daughter bought me this as a present. Think David Toop beset by stormy riddums.

Suburban Lawns - Baby kinda like a cross between Talking Heads and Curved Air, or at least beset by the prog rock guitarist in the next rehearsal room like that Run DMC video with flipping Aerosmith

Stratis - By Water Mrs S has been playing this VOD box a lot lately. I haven't played this today but I woke up with it my head.

Coil - Remote Viewing 1 God's work

Maggi Payne - Flights Of Fancy a BEAUTIFUL synthetic waltz that just floods you full of effervescence.

Robotiko Rejekto - Rejekto (Perfecto Mix) I was up dancing to this at the weekend.

The Charlatans - Different Days (Chris & Cosey Remix) I gonged the A side after ten seconds of complete blandness but that's not exactly news. C&C burn plenty of sage on the B side remix.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:23 am

Maria Rita - Brasileira (full stream)

I knew this record but I could never find it at a price I wanted to pay, so I am delighted to see it getting a re-release by Optimo in collaboration with Selvagem as Selva Discos. Her singing is incredible, I guess you couod bring in some comparisons to the open style singing of Bulgarian choirs and Lisa Gerrard and musically it does sometimes remind me of DCD and Bel Canto and it does have a bit of a 4AD thing. I've had this record for a few weeks but not posted it...sadly I was involved in an operation to get enough for the family before I mentioned it to anyone. There's also some more traditional sounding music on the record which isn't as immediate but as a whole it still a ust buy IMO. Btw Monorail still seem to have some, their search often seems hidden to google so if you want one you might be lucky.

Maria Rita - Cântico Brasileiro No.3 (Kamaiurá) this was recently on this really good compilation on the ever reliable Music from Memory.

Maria Rita - Lamento Africano / Ríctus

and some Magico Disko

Margot - Moderno (Marc Piñol Acid Remix)

and some mysterious going's on inside the plumbing

Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe - Audoghast

And more humid 4th world deep forest rituals from darkest equatorial Glasgow. A must buy IMO.

Peter Power & Psilosamples - Erva Dos Sonhos

Peter Power & Bronze Savage - Peregrine Sunit's as yet unclear if Peter Power is the one and the same Peter Power the goateed stage hypnotist. I hope so.

Peter Power - Sacral Bells

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:57 am

All aboard...ticket's please...

Gilroy Mere - Dunroamin Oh there's going to be a frenzy on August the first. The Frances Castle has really upgraded us all to first class with this beautiful packing and the cut and fold bus no one will ever make up lest the ruin their collectable. I'll probably scan mine. :fp:

Goes off to buy a copy of Classic Bus Magazine....

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:27 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:23 am

Tempers - Tail in my Mouth I liked Tempers long before they even had a record out but I somehow missed this earlier in the year. A cracking wee blend of synth pulse and tele twang, all the tracks are good

Tempers - Far this really reminds me of the recent Promise and the Monster record.

Anyone who has considered their own bottom of the garden fairy hoax should beat their tiny wings in the direction of Norman for a copy of Collected Machine Music by Plinthwhich they have vinylised :k on their own Public House Recordings imprint, which truly is an esoteric delight

Xordox - Diamonds Jim Thirwell regenerates as Xordox' pulsating interstellar giallo.

Faten Kanaan - All by Compass new album Pleiade Hex 6 is out on Polytechnic Youth very soon and this is free DL taster.

Mushy - No More (soft metals remix) Mushy beautifully re-engineered into wondrous space station slasher disko

Cult Club feat Zoè Zanias - Play With Lies most coldwave cool. A near unbeatable coldwave queen bonus ball multiplier with both Sally Dirge and Zoè Zanias (or Alison Lewis as she one was)

Cult Club - All the People (Long Mix)

Son of Sam - Second Wasted Second kinda low fi Severed Heads from Leeds. Actually new to me, which is pretty unusual for anything remotely in this realm.

Weirdly they say it was recorded on The Cassandra Complex gear and they are a band I do know and like. The Cassandra Complex - One Millionth Happy Customer. One of my kids just wandering in when I was playing this and snarked; 'my daddy's a loafer goth'. It's unclear if this was meant to be complimentary.

John Foxx Underpass - Mark Reeder's Dark Long & Sinister remix The true Fantastic Mr Foxx.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:56 am

The Watersons - The Scarecrow (1971 Demo) Amazing the difference Lal singing this makes, both versions are great but she has this bitter marrow chill about her voice, like she's literally Winter itself.

The Watersons - The Scarecrow

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:04 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SoqlkMFQuk

Nick Lowe - Awesome

of course it is

:)