Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:49 am

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:01 am
Psalm 16 8-9 - From Salm: Gaelic Psalms from the Hebrides of Scotland. My younger three kids go to a Gaelic school and I saw this and thought it was worth picking up. The voices are amazing, they rise and fall like the sea, real chest swelling stuff. I doubt it would ever ath on in the same way but in a small way this is Scotland's Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares'
I first heard that style of singing on Good Morning Scotland a few years back when some musicologist was on suggesting it may have been a major influence on 'Negro spiritual' songs (many plantations being owned by Scots who would have forced their flavour of religious observance on their slaves) and it really is spine-tingling stuff.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:45 am

Out In The Country
David Ruffin sings an early Rick James tune.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:24 am

Susanna - Go Dig My Grave record isn't here yet but couldn't resist the digital single. Her new record is covers and while I'd rather she brought out a proper follow up to the brilliant Triangle. I like how she really slowed down this traditional popularised by Jean Ritchie and I'd love to see her do these songs live if this is anything to go by.

It's not a song of the day for me but a lot of folk on here might like the new Hookworms elpee Microshift. Sadly I can't warm to the singers voice these days and I found it quite hard to get all the way through even the once and regretted just buying it instead of checking it out first but Mrs S thought it was Ok, so not a total waste of money. I'm more down with the satellite acts like XAM Duo but they seem decent people, I'm pleased they are getting great reviews and I wish them all the best.

Virginia Wing and XAM Duo - Good Roads Fair this is much more my style, a great record.

Xam Duo - Tisch Tennis attempting to do for TT what Kraftwerk did for cycling....adjusts reverse penhold backhand. I once played this to old man Shadowplay who was a keen and very able table tennis player, though more of a flat track bully who would enter informal holiday tournanments and destroy 'fun' players. Anyway he's thought it was rubbish, which to me is like getting a five star review in the Guardian!.

Factory Floor - Babel from their rescoring of Metropolis.

Hany Mehanna - Badaouiah imagine a a Farfisa atop a might desert dune!

Zombies - La Rebelión De Los Objetos I know my post punk pretty well but the further south you go the less I know and Spain is pretty hard to get a handle on beyond the dead obvious SM Nurse and Diseño Corbusier. I was therefore delighted to get my mits on a comp called La Contra Ola Synth Wave & Post Punk From Spain 1980-86 and this quirky track is one of the highlights.

Quite interesting to watch this clip, it's clear they are B52's fans, it's a really odd song though with quite bland 'insert new wave here' vocal bits and quite cool instumental parts. If they just kept the stuttering 'billy going for the whole track this would have been great.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:45 am

One from the dek of Mrs S the highpriestess of coven Shadowplay.

Hampshire & Foat - Galaxies Like Grains of Sand this is a gorgeous sounding record of beautiful lo-beam, libraryish jazz folk. You can just revel in the sound, it's just right and proper. It's interesting that this is out on Athens of the North who usually release choice soul and funk reissues, this isn't old but it's got an old soul.

Hampshire & Foat - The Solar Winds (& Cadenza)

A must buy album IMO.

D

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:47 pm

^^Chock full of great stuff. I'll especially have to be on the lookout for that Susanna album.
shadowplay wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:24 am
Zombies - La Rebelión De Los Objetos I know my post punk pretty well but the further south you go the less I know and Spain is pretty hard to get a handle on beyond the dead obvious SM Nurse and Diseño Corbusier. I was therefore delighted to get my mits on a comp called La Contra Ola Synth Wave & Post Punk From Spain 1980-86 and this quirky track is one of the highlights.

Quite interesting to watch this clip, it's clear they are B52's fans, it's a really odd song though with quite bland 'insert new wave here' vocal bits and quite cool instumental parts. If they just kept the stuttering 'billy going for the whole track this would have been great.
I saw that comp, had my finger on the trigger, but I'm well over my monthly music allowance so it's gone to the backburner. From the samples I've heard there are some interesting (and also not so interesting) nuggets on there, a lot sort of sounds like post punk percolating through a new wave-gone-to-the-italo-disco filter. This was a standout from the few tracks I listened to: El Aviador Dro - Nuclear Si
shadowplay wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:45 am
One from the dek of Mrs S the highpriestess of coven Shadowplay.

Hampshire & Foat - Galaxies Like Grains of Sand this is a gorgeous sounding record of beautiful lo-beam, libraryish jazz folk. You can just revel in the sound, it's just right and proper. It's interesting that this is out on Athens of the North who usually release choice soul and funk reissues, this isn't old but it's got an old soul.

Hampshire & Foat - The Solar Winds (& Cadenza)
I bow humbly before the high priestess, an absolutely monumental pick! This really ticks all the boxes and then some, and I agree, I can't exactly put my finger on what it is, but it just sounds exactly as it should sound...the recording has a gaslight dreaminess around the edges like headlights in the fog that suits the music perfectly.

Edit: fuck I'm looking at the better part of a hundred buckaroos in the scalpers' pockets for the polyvinyl chloride :(

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:11 pm

^^^

I totally agree that the Spanish comp is patchy, I just felt compelled to buy it in the hope it contained a gem like SM Nurse within. The track you picked is indeed one of the good ones.

Im sorry theHampshire and Foat record is hard to get, it's a lot of money, even if it is exquisitely lovely. The new one Honeybear sounds like more of the same from the snippet I listened to.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:07 am

Paper Dollhouse - Haze just ordered this and got this as an instant download. Gorgeous ecstatic devotional dream techno.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:06 am

Coil - Baby Food the safe way to take your ketamine guaranteed not to detroy your bladder. The only way I could describe this is 'medieval techno'.

OSG's very onnw Namamour championed this double album of Sakamoto remixes a while back and I'm going to ride his coattails. It took a while to arrive here, my copy was apparently cracked on inspection and it's taken and age to get one to me but in the end it all worked out and they sent me a sweetener. REALLY beautiful stuff off an incredible host album.

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Andata (Oneohtrix Point Never Rework)

Ryuichi Sakatmoto - "Life, Life - Andy Stott Remodel"

Ryuichi Sakatmoto - Solari (original version) a mastery of heart piercing melancholy.

This Kind Of Punishment - A Beard Of Bees I saw this New Zealand/Flying Nun band had just been reissued and I decided to reissue it to myself by finding my copy. Quite an interesting record, straddled as it is betwixt a sort of lyrical post punk and something more meditiative out in slightly muddy Sylvian Talk Talk waters.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:16 am

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:41 am

^^The async remix album is a mighty feat, but the source material has been growing on me more and more recently to the point where I think it's overtaken Narkopop as my favorite album of last year. It's so beautiful, both widescreen cinematic and hauntingly intimate all at once.

Palmbomen II - Ultimate Lovestory Fantasy

Palmbomen II - Pure Tibet

Alan Moorhouse - Pop Mandolin

Hailu Mergia - Wede Harer Guzo

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:44 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:51 am

Paper Dollhouse - Pearl's Theme just clip but deep velvet swoonage, a valentine for your ears. This is a fantastic album that will be gone in a flash (300 only).

Tomaga - Breakfast At The Volcano just ordered this, can't wait for it to arrive. Totally masterful and crackling with mystik power. :-* Like The Burgarian voices on a Club 18-30 to darkest Borneo.

Brain Machine - Nexus Vox (Cass. Version Part I & II) space travel systems check...

Fuxa & Neil Mackay (ex loop) - Testz 1

Fuxa & Neil Mackay (ex Loop)- Comerzreggae very much reminding me of Two Lone Swordsmen
Yeah thats's really good, Did you buy the box or just go for the 12's?

D

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:40 am

I got it piecemeal with the 12’s so no fancy box or Polaroid for me. Quite the bargain at $1/inch.

Oh, and the new Paper Dollhouse has been ordered too, thanks. I think Aeonflower was one of the first things I bought on your recommendation after joining this here forum and it still gets regular play time.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:35 am

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:26 am

Mr Chop - CDL-04 Only linkable track I can find and not cheap but pretty amazing ten with drumage by Malolm atto of The Helliocentrics and Vanishing Twin. Essentially a 6 track missive of massif library breaks beasting deep riddim wobbles.

UUU - Verlagerung, Verlagerung, Verlagerung supergroupage (Edvard Graham Lewis, Valentina Magaletti, Matthew Simms & Thighpaulsandra). Pulsating spaced motorik.

Lone Taxidermist - Mr Coral I'm showcasing tow side of this record. On the one hand Mr Coral is very much post messthetics DIY pop akin to the likes of Delta 5, The Slits and The Raincoats.

On the other Lone Taxidermist - When the Waters Cold dips into a postpunksynthdisko bag, where she come on like Mimi Goese's disco voodoo dolly. I've heard they are amazing live or at least she is amazing live. coming on like a demented Leigh Bowery crossed with Gazelle Twin.

Richard H. Kirk - Black Honeymoon I couldn't begin to explain how massive Cabaret Voltaire and Richard and Stephen (and Chris too) have been in my life for 40 years now, so i won't bother.

D