Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:37 am

Trisomie 21 - La Fête Triste (demo) I just bought Dark Enties superb Trisomie 21 Box set. i had most of it but it still contains absolute gems like this. I've loved the studio version since way back in the 80's and I knew this demo existed but never heard it until now, it's awkwardly beautiful.

Trisomie 21 - la fête triste

Silvia Kastel - Air Mob just in and I'm really into the minimalist gaseous beauty of this track which comes on like a dub of F ingers on a ventilator.

Silvia Kastel - Heart To Tape this is off a comp and it taps right into my AC Marias obsession

Gudrun Gut ‎– Mond

Die Dominas - Die Wespendomina bought many years ago drawn by it being a ten and with that sleeve/name it couldn't be crap. It's actually fantastiche and years later I learned it was actually Manuel Göttsching.

Die Dominas Ich Bin A Domina

Jonas Struck & Vladislav Delay - Final Match Point from the Borg McEnroe film score.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:28 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:16 am

Madge's William Orbit period was a highlight, for sure. That guy even made Katie Melua sound good for a nanosecond or two, and that's saying something.
I liked a lot of Torch Song stuff, well the later stuff anyway, I wasn't too fond of Rico Conning deciding to have another crack at the lines brilliant White Night with fucking ZZ Top guitar all over it like a US market focus group dirty protest.

I liked Strange Cargo too, it's a bit of it's time but when it's good like Raphael off Towards the Unknown Region it's still good. IIt always reminds me of Ray Mears, they used it and Crustation a lot when he was on BBC but all the DVD's were resoundtracked in inglorious style.

D

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:12 am

Actually, album of the day as I really can't pick out a favourite. It's all so fucking good!!

A little back story. I remember digging this album out in an old secondhand shop in Leeds years ago. Around the time I first heard In A Silent Way so I'm guessing back in '95-'96. I really liked the ON and OFF design on the front & back and the drawings reminded me of the Ralph Bakshi animation, Heavy Traffic.
Still, in the end I just put it back & bought something else. Can't remember what.

Fast forward 20+ years and I happened upon a YouTube video of The Melvins doing "What's In My Bag" and one of them pulled out the very album I'd completely forgotten about...

On The Corner - Miles Davis.

...Absolutely mind-blowing!! I can't believe it's taken so long for me to hear this album!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:22 am

Meanwhile, back in the 21st century....

MIEN - Black Habit.

A bit of a Black Angels / Horrors collaboration which, funnily enough, starts off like Sheena Is a Parasite. Doesn't stay like that for long though. Excellent stuff!!

They've got an album out in April. If it's as good as this I'll be well impressed!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:06 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:59 am

The Arms of Someone New - St. Catherine Dark Entries have been hitting the reissue bullseye again and again, utterly superb and expert curation. I know I have this album somewhere but someone who isn't me must have filed it in the wrong place. Anyway...superb gauzy post punk into dream pop flecked with pastoral psychedelia and a must for fans of early Durruti, Seventeen Seconds and Faith.

Silvia - Zuerst Ich only a short version as the full thing is hidden in the UK. More Dark Entries wonder, the highlight is undoubtable Silvia's stern delivery but there's real magic in the the skilled balance of light and dark. I probably picked Silvia ages ago but so good I picked it twice.

Silvia - Wintergarten

The Golden Filter - End Of Times (Drone​-​apella) essentially just a track for DJ mixing but I love it's naked pulse.

The Golden Filter - End Of Times new but already a synthdisko classik

Siekiera - Ludzie wschodu I didn't know thisPolish post punk band or this album at all. It's almost into post hardcore at times and some of the guitar is a little rockist for me but otherwise it's a good purchase. When I listen to it I can picture them in some low budget video playing while the wind machine renders them approprately windswept. Oddly reminds me of Flesh for Lulu crossed with early Red Lorry Yellow Lorry.

D

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:15 am

Heard the composer talking about this suite on the radio the other day and was swept away by the 'From Gardens Where We Feel Secure'-ness of it (and the fact that the Hamilton Mausoleum has a beacon-like quality to regular M74 travellers).

There's a wee film about the project as a whole which is worth a watch, but for song of the day, I nominate Francis Macdonald - Sarcophagus.
Last edited by UlricvonCatalyst on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:15 am

thegumbootman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thegumbootman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:58 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:44 am

The Green Child - Traveler I adore this, it's so smoky and sensuous. Literally came at me from nowhere, I only looked at it because I like the book and beause Coil have a song by the same name. turns out it's someone from Total ontrol who I like and someone else whose other band I need to look up.

Dollboy - Dance of Rags I keep thinking that this record...err...tape is what Popol Vuh would have come up with for a German Wickerman remake.

Vox Low - What if the symbols fall down

The Arms Of Someone New - With Louise

The Arms of Someone New - Song for Krista

UFO Hawaii -Zeichen der Zeit (Fred und Luna Mix) both versions of this 7" teutonic minimal waver are good but I'm going with the Bee since it's a bit more groovy.

D

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:29 am

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:40 pm

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:34 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:02 am

Kuniyuki Takahashi - Day Dreams I could have picked anything off this record 'Early Tape Works (1986 - 1993) Vol. 1'; it is indeed music for dreamers to lie half above, half under to. Anyone into anything Fouth World adjacent will want this.

In the Nursery - Until Before After It's taken me a while to get round to playing this, purely because it was a CD in a tin and I forgot I bought it. It's kinda patchy but interesting in that they're doing a record about their birth year and referencing the first music I ever bought by them back the early 80's, which had bass and drums, something they distanced themselves from after Stormhorse.

In The Nursery - Prisoner Of Conscience

Years Of Denial - We Operate On Each Other Mrs S; it's testament to how far gone you are that you probably think this is sexy.

VoX LoW - Now We're Ready to Spend That bass or as folk on the internet are wont to say 'dat bass'.

Carl Craig - Goodbye World perfection

Carl Craig - Red Lights

Karen Marks - You Bring These Things If the Salvation Army had a minimal wave branch. Like a sad Christmas song, all the way from down under. I shit you not comrade when I tell you that this is on a 1981 compilation that also features...wait...for...it...Joe Dolces Shaddap you Face. Just shows you can't judge a book by the company it keeps.

Primal Scream - Stuka (Two Lone Swordsmen Remix) fully grimey bass

Primal Scream - MBV Arkestra (If They Move Kill 'Em)

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:01 am

Psalm 16 8-9 - From Salm: Gaelic Psalms from the Hebrides of Scotland. My younger three kids go to a Gaelic school and I saw this and thought it was worth picking up. The voices are amazing, they rise and fall like the sea, real chest swelling stuff. I doubt it would ever ath on in the same way but in a small way this is Scotland's Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares'

Total Control – Luxury Vacuum I was just wondering about Total Control, looked them up and lo and behold a new mini elpee is out.

D