Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by windmill » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:19 am

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:46 am

Black Rain - Computer Soul stunning EP, what's not to like? Zoe Zanias channels her inner Ofra Haza amid prowling bass perfection.

Black Rain - Blood Rain & Star Jelly incredibly this kicks things up a notch further with orchestral stabs puncturing a muezzin whorl.

Jay Glass Dubs - Laid Down ft. Yorgia Karidi sweeping away all my preconceptions in roaring tide of cutup, this is not the dubs you were expecting. Laid Down lays down a massive clanking machine strut through clouds of gaseous synth emissions and angelic cooing. Comes in a Peter Saville sleeve.

Osynlige Mann - Exodus picked the more mentholated A side a while ago but this killer bee has been buzzing in my head all weekend.

Boy Harsher - Come Closer kids half deafened me with this hyper strobe dark disko in the car.

Unloved - Crash Boom Bang swinging fuzzed girl group hip swivveler.

log(m) & Laraaji - Be As You Are Oh such beauty, a spanking forest sunshower. Honestly it's like the man is playing shivelight.

Rachel Zeffira - A Secret World of Our Own it's not up to Duke of Burgundy quality but I really like this soundtrack. Not seen the film yet though.

Exitmusic - To the Depths it's taken 6 months for me to get round to actually playing this elpee. Soaring.

Scorn - Exodus the Exodus from Napalm Death, massive bass and mercifully more didgeridoo than didgeridon't.

Tuxedomoon - In A Manner Of Speaking a qquite cool thing about having children is that you get to re-experience the first time you heard stone classics in a way.

Tuxedomoon - No Tears causes much craziness among the number tens. My all time favourite childrens dance recital was two of mine involved in a dance to this in animal masks. Many of the other parents wore their very best WHATTHEFUCK faces. Basically if this doesn't get you up there's something far wrong with you.

Nova Mob - Admiral Of The Sea (79 A.D. Version)

Andrew Weatherall - Selective Walking

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 am

Maybe a little out of place in this thread, but this set is my song(s) of the day. The circumstances in the United States are really wearing me down, and Nina keeps me from sinking into a pit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:23 am

The Tomorrow Institute - Okulomotor - The Home Current Remix This came out as a 99 only lathecut on Polytechnic Youth which was nice but I've bought the digital for listening since the lathes wear our pretty fast.

and the original; Tomorrow Syndicate - Okulomotor I thought Tomorrow Institute would really resonate on this site but it appears they are niche.

The other side of the split is;

The Heartwood Institute - Aradia - The Home Current Remix

and the STUNNING original; The Heart Wood Institute Aradia

John Cameron - Liquid Sunshine a spot of Hampshire and Foat had me rooting arounf the KPM doocot (dovecote ) for this. I strongly associate this with my old and much missed Rolls Royce Silver Shadow 'Her Majesty' and driving down an avenue of cherry blossom...fingertip control and deluxe cool marrying in some sweet synergy.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:37 am

Gabe Knox - Look & Listen This is off the excellent Polytechnic Youth Comp 'Popcorn Lung' but I'm playing it because I'm expecting his debut elpee Gabe Knox - ABC in the next few days which has this as the opening song. One of those songs that seem to embody cheerful (as opposed to dystopian) futurism, like sayyyyy since hes's from Toronto, the CN Tower . A must if you're a motorik leaning (see this track) early Mute fan.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:24 am

countertext wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 am
Maybe a little out of place in this thread, but this set is my song(s) of the day. The circumstances in the United States are really wearing me down, and Nina keeps me from sinking into a pit.
Anything goes, it's a cool post and you certainly classed the place up. Just beause I tend to post a lot of music made by people who probably spent more time on their eyeliner than on their music doesn't mean everyone else has to.

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:29 am

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:51 am

Cosey Fanni Tutti - Heliy like being licked by a cat, gently rasping sensuality. Hard to be objective since Tutti has been a star in my sky since I was a child, she's a true great and titan. As I type I've just dropped the arm back at the start again and now the track Tutti is pulsing at me like some massive electronic vein rent with her inimitable cornet which Simon Fisher Turner once desribed as "fantastically Tibetan". Kinda reminds me of Duet Emmo.

Cosey Fanni Tutti - Orenda in some ways this is like an Antarctic take on Chris Carters 'Chemistry Lessons'.

Unloved - Boy and Girl a wonderful two song ending to the new elpee, brimming with heartahe and romance.

Unloved - If

Boy Harsher - Lost For some reason every time I hear this I keep imaging Andrew Eldrich singing it.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:02 am

HTRK - Dying of Jealousy Pink Industry evoking refracted gorgeousness and the fun continues on the Killer bee; Summer Rain.

Cucina Povera - ZOOM0001 a beautiful album made with no equipment what so ever bar a Zoom recorder and her voice.

Grebenstein & Seefried - Breathe

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:34 pm

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:53 am

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:35 pm

i'm not a great big Tom Petty fan...

but i'm awaiting test results that "might be in today"...but will probably have to wait until monday.

In the Gloaming...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:26 am

Coil - The Hills are Alive...with the sound of....supercalifragilisticexpialidocious collywobbling dub techno

CTM - Red Dragon this is a stunning album that strings it's pearls between the twin suns of imperious song maidens like Agnes Obel, the sleepyheaded likes of Tirzah and well...ther's no getting away from this on (Fever)...Sade at her most enigmatic.

CTM - Paloma pt 2

Marie Davidson - Day Dreaming (Afrodeutsche Remix) exquisite seductive techno sensuality that's undercut with a pawl of Ballardian unease.

Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement - Bridgetown Dub

Propaganda - A - Dr. Mabuse I played the 12" but this version has a video. Epic cinematic synthpop packed with ambition.

Propaganda - Frozen Faces these came out when I was 16 or so and at the time I think I regarded Claudia Brücken as something of a template for the mysterious European women I'd be encountering daily as I adjusted to life outside the style free family nest, not so much how she looked but more a veneer of exotic elan.

Grebenstein & Seefried - Breathe spectral ghosted step with a nice bedtime story over the top.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:40 am

Moon Duo - Motorcycle I love You I still like Moon Duo and keep up with their records but I doubt anything they ever release will ever have the same impact as this which I played like ten times in a row. My youngest has been dancing in a crazy gonked out neoclassical style in her ballet shoes to this which I'd guess is a first for this song.

Cool live version

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:26 pm

Eyeless in Gaza - The eyes of beautiful losers a soaring heartbreaker, absolute beauty.

Bal Paré - Palais D'Amour I had a wee dance to this at the weekend

Bottroper Hammerchor - Anner Ruhr fantastic tweenage NDW seven inch.

Nadjma - Koolish Baared (Your Heart Is So Cold) Nadjma is the queen of Iranian synthpop though it's an admittedly narrow field.

and enough of that old pish...

Red Axes - Sound Test

D