Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:59 am

C.A.R. - Growing Pains I should really add Chloe to the 'singers' thread, not for any otherworldy abilty, purely for attitude and tone

MIDDEX - Brick Wall Takes to the Air it's new but could easily be off some lost tape release through Vinyl on Demand.

Grasscut - Islander a really beautiful album. I hate to use the phrase well crafted but it is but not in your typical pay yer dues way, just beautiful arrangements, sounds and words.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:27 am

Lone Taxidermist - Home Matches my marigolds, it's hard to explain adequately but a perfect elpee for scrubbing toilets to.

and a really cool live version where they slow it's pulse down loser to their diy inspirations.

Lone Taxidermist - Knicker Elastic

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:09 am

Front 242 - Take One Is that a full Belgian 12 inches or are you pleased to see me? :ph34r:

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:27 am

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:18 am

I was watching Marcel Hirscher win his second gold in the mens Giant Slalom and noticed his beanie said 'Eisbar' and it got me off to the super G's to pull this old favourite out ;) .

Grauzone ‎– Eisbær

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Ross Blake - Ages think...Colleen syncronised swimming with Ennio Morricone in a pool of glitter. Just fucking gorgeous and from the soundtrack to Pretty en Rose.

D

Mattrock
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Mattrock » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:26 pm

Today I am listening Pink Floyd "Another brick in the wall"

DWTish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DWTish » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:45 pm

Terry Callier - "You're Goin Miss Your Candyman"...... Can't get enough of it

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:22 pm

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:11 pm

Sister Irene O'Connor - Fire
Sister Irene O'Connor - Mass: Emannuel

^Blessed slice of Catholic private pressing weirdness, could almost belong in the hauntological thread at times...sounds like the product of being shipped off to the convent with nothing but a drum machine and United States of America record to pass the time. Apparently her album Fire of God's Love was the happy marriage of Sister Irene's musical evangelism with the technical know-how of her friend Sister Marimil Lobregat, who learned her way around a tape recorder and echo chamber while working for the Catholic Radio and Television Centre, Homebush, N.S.W (which sounds like hell made flesh and air). Maybe the whip drum in some of the tracks was a sample of the good Sister's tawes?

Anyway, the album recently got a repress on Wyrd War records, whose website is pretty uselessly dysfunctional but there still appear to be reasonably priced copies on discogs if anyone is as into it as I am.

Also in the repress pipe, I just ordered a re of Karen Gwyer's Rembo from last year. Apex level tech: Karen Gwyer - The Workers Are on Strike

Aaaaaand, just stumbled upon this nugget of meandering deep space kosmische the other day and have been locked in low orbit around it since, can't get enough:
Eroc ‎– Nebelwelt
...I guess best known as the drummer for Grobschnitt, I had no idea Eroc had a fairly prolific solo career. Full album here. Unfortunately it slumps into a lot of silliness, but there are some real sparks of genius here and there rewarding a willing listen.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:51 am

I'm on this thanks. Edit maybe not it appears the reissue is rough as a badgers arse.

D

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:04 am

shadowplay wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:51 am
I'm on this thanks. Edit maybe not it appears the reissue is rough as a badgers arse.

D
It's not pristine by any stretch but I've heard worse. I didn't know when I picked it up (or posted for that matter) that it was a boot though, class move Wyrd War.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:54 am

Susanna - Invitation to the Voyage utterly incredibly musical arrangement of Charles Baudelaire where she sounds not unlike Joni Mitchel were she reborn as a siren. Young teen Shadowplay spent much of his goth years skulking in candlelight about reading Baudelaire (in English) and he'd have loved this as much as the middle aged version does.

More poetry action!

Pye Corner Audio - Box In A Box one of the best Pye Corner Audio traccks I've heard in a while. It's on a star packed digital only compilation which you can read about below;
In Death's Dream Kingdom is a voyage into the unknown for Houndstooth and all the artists on it.

It represents a complete rethink about what it means to compile and commission music in the streaming era – and the tracks and seductively dark atmospheres conjured as a result are exploring all kinds of new sonic territory, too. In short, the cream of leftfield electronic talent have been given a brief: to take the phrase “in Death's dream kingdom”, or the whole of TS Eliot's poem The Hollow Men from which it comes, as inspiration. The resulting 25 tracks will be released, one by one, together with further online texts, and extraordinary artwork by Jazz Szu-Ying Chen, to build into a new kind of audio-visual artefact. Not an album in the traditional sense, certainly more than just a playlist, it brings together a seriously diverse array of talents into a coherent whole with a vivid aesthetic reverberating through it. It occupies a similar space to the great home listening electronica acts of the 90s – Future Sound Of London, Global Communication, the Artificial Intelligence axis – but there are no throwbacks here: this is radical in sound and thought. Dark music for dark times.
I say it's digital only but there was an early bird print edition I managed to get in on. Still it's 25 tracks for a tenner...BARGAIN!

Gazelle Twin - The Dream Ends

Ian William Craig - An End Of Rooms

C.A.R. - This City

Fever Ray - Red Trails I'm not too into the new Fever Ray record, for me it's failed to put enough water between it and The Knife. I'm not sure this one has the songs and if I'm honest I've not managed to get all the way through it while I play Fever Ray's first to death and the five the remix 12's too. Feels really harsh to say it but I think the first Fever Ray album was such an influential record on a whole generation for young female musicians that in many ways the pupils have mastered the teacher. That record has been a massive presence in our house (everyone has their own copy and I have two which makes 8!) and genuinely a massive influence on artists we love like Gazelle Twin and I'd even credit it's ethno futurism as being a minor part of the reappraisal of fourth world music.

Daevid Allen and Euterpe - Children of the new world

Young Echo

Acid Pauli - René (Roman Flügel Remix) just a few weeks old and already sounding like a classic. It's got what I can only describe as a playful sadness.

Alter Ego - Tanks Ahead (Black Dog Remix)

The Knife - Silent Shout

Lone Taxidermist - Nowhere hits that AC Marias loving part of my brain hard.
nanamour wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:11 pm

Also in the repress pipe, I just ordered a re of Karen Gwyer's Rembo from last year. Apex level tech: Karen Gwyer - The Workers Are on Strike

I really like Why Don't You Make Your Bed? It's like my theme tune since I I'm forever shout it at the three kids that don't have the make bed gene.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:04 am

OAKE - Apath (Regis Remix) chops the original's industrial choral summoning into permafrozen industrial step.

OAKE - Apath

OAKE - Abul (Samuel Kerridge Remix) massive mecha strut riddim battering all opposition with heavy fire and just booting the twisted wreckage out the way

OAKE - Abul

Miracle (Steve Moore of Zombi and Daniel O’Sullivan of Ulver et.) - Angelix I'm going have to try and go back through this, a lot of it sounds too much like Depeche Mode who I've never cared for much despite me being mad about sythpop and minimal waveage.

Primitive World - The Circumstances Of Her Neglect not sure if I'd have got that this record was inspired by Marlow Moss and constructivism but I guess it's a nice idea. Apparently all done on a PPG Wave synth.

Calibro 35 - SuperStudio I'm feeling a bit odd about this record, I like it's cheeky Cinecittà library funk styling but it all gets a bit much for me over the whole record. They put a lot of effort into the videos, this one is hampered by a horrible car but this one has the right autospirit, that spirit being 1750GTV.

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:35 pm