Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by PJazzmaster » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:04 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:51 am

Did you get the collab record with XAM Duo (Hookworms spinoff)? It's a wee bit more postpunkjazzkosmische and IMO fantastic.
thanks yes, I got this one a while ago. A bit weird but in a nice and refreshing way.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:22 am

Bird (Prins Thomas Diskomiks) EPIC cosmik disko wonder.

Red Axes (who are now on Phantasy) - Sipoor this is how bedtime goes with the young witches of coven Shadowplay as they are lullabied to sleep by the Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia. chopped down to going on a third of its length but you get the idea.

N.E.R.D & Rihanna - Lemon (really the DJ Aldivas intro edit which loses all the pointless pish in the first 50 seconds and keeps it maximum riri) It's ma summer jam :fp:

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:41 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:22 am
lullabied to sleep by the Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia.
:D It's a treatment my neighbor sometimes gets.
Bah! I've just heard those two Virginia Wing albums for the first time. Instant love, thanks for sharing.

Michael Rother - Feuerland Pulled this out of a 3€ bin along with his Katzenmusik and Chris and Cosey's Action a while back. ???
In any case, this track took the cake, sounding like a Kosmisher Cowboy prequel to Godspeed you Black Emperor's Dead flag blues, caught myself muttering something about skyline's being on fire.

Tennger - Breathe In, Breathe Out Immersive Modular Synth/Indian Harmonium Lullaby, reminding me of a slightly low-key Phew. This was news for me, I've found the whole record to feature an all around interesting selection. There's a track by Cucina Povera which hasn't made it on her LP and some Total Leatherette for the proud Scots among you.

Maud Lübeck - Toi Non Plus Utterly seductive Synth-Chanson

MACE.- Life, Intelligence, Joy, Breathing Some jagged beats building up to a massive banger.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:30 am

aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:41 am

Michael Rother - Feuerland Pulled this out of a 3€ bin along with his Katzenmusik and Chris and Cosey's Action a while back. ???

What a score, well played.

Glad you like the Virginia Wing.

Btw in case you don't know it the Justus Köhncke Remix of Feuerland[/quote] is no bad, though this link is edited.
aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:41 am

[url=https://extranoir.bandcamp.com/track/br ... reathe-out]Tennger - Breathe In, Breathe Out Immersive Modular Synth/Indian Harmonium Lullaby, reminding me of a slightly low-key Phew. This was news for me, I've found the whole record to feature an all around interesting selection. There's a track by Cucina Povera which hasn't made it on her LP and some Total Leatherette for the proud Scots among you.

Maud Lübeck - Toi Non Plus Utterly seductive Synth-Chanson

MACE.- Life, Intelligence, Joy, Breathing Some jagged beats building up to a massive banger.
That maud Lubeck track is chic as chanel and as uplifting as an anthem, thanks for that I never heard it before. Just bought it.

My song of the day is the new Raime 12' Am I Using Content Or Is Content Using Me? which is a teeny tiny bit more summery than usual kinda in the humid crevasse betwixt Tooth and something like Forest Swords. I wouldn't sleep on this, they are selling out fast.

Good call on the Extra Noir comp, the Kubler Ross track on that is a good one as well and another Glasgow band.
i love Total Leatherette, I mean they've a song called 'Fist and Shout'...what's not to like?

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:39 am

A Certain Ratio - Winter Hill so sad to see this moor burning.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:13 am

Mehmet Aslan - Efsun feat. Idil Mese Turkish delight...as fragrant as it's epic!

Inner City - Big Fun (12' remix) it's a Ronseal track...does exactly what it says on the tin.

Sabres of PAradise - Lick Wid Nit Wit very cool issue of track that never got the release it deserved.

Miss Kittin & The Hacker - Love On 26 squelchier than a night clubbing in rubber knickers.

Isolation Ward - Babes and Sucklings (A Lullaby) some dark shadows in bright and bushy selection. Amazing Belgian B side from 1982.

Miss Red - One Shot Killer brace of boombastic riddums

Gaika - Battalion (feat. Miss Red)

Róisín Murphy - Like Róisín has found her perfect foil in Maurice Fulton and this series of 12's is going from strength to strength, though I wish they were touch cheaper.

the A side 'Plaything' is good too.

Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You I read it was out 20 years ago. Still one to get your auntie up to at a wedding.

D

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:39 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:13 am

Inner City - Big Fun (12' remix) it's a Ronseal track...does exatly what it says on the tin.

Sabres of PAradise - Lick Wid Nit Wit very cool issue of track that never got the release it deserved.

Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You I read it was out 20 years ago. Still one to get your auntie up to at a wedding.

D
The Stardust and Inner City tracks are both ones I used to play out regularly, good memories. The original version of Big Fun was out 30 years ago this year!

Not sure I remember that exact Sabres tune, but they were great in general nonetheless.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:04 am

NickD wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:39 am
shadowplay wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:13 am

Inner City - Big Fun (12' remix) it's a Ronseal track...does exatly what it says on the tin.

D
The Stardust and Inner City tracks are both ones I used to play out regularly, good memories. The original version of Big Fun was out 30 years ago this year!

Not sure I remember that exact Sabres tune, but they were great in general nonetheless.
The Sabres track was on a CD only comp but it's been released as 12 with new remixes.

A lot of those tracks like Big Fun I almost didn't appreciate at the time, they were so ubiquitous but they are just great 'up' tunes.

We've had a hilarious half hour where Mrs S was trying to describe a song she wanted on a playlist and she wasn't explaining it well at all (but blaming me for this) until I asked her if she could remember anything else she randomly associated with it Rorschach style and she said Kruder & Dorfmeister ‎and from there we got there eventually.

So Beanfield - Keep On Believing still a great tune

D

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:25 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:32 am
sammynb wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:00 pm
There's new HTRK on its way.
Worth £1.86 of anyone's money. Sounds great, a wee bit of a twist back to Work (work, work) period both musically and thematically but still incredibly seductive. The rhythm side of the track certainly conjures up the ghost of Olento period Mika Vainio and Jonnine reminds me of Tracey Thorn more than ever, which is no bad thing.

I fear I know the answer to this question already but is there a (let's get) physical of this?

D
For those that want a vinyl copy, pre-order is now available. There are only 150 and one per customer.
https://htrk.bigcartel.com/product/htrk ... -pre-order

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:32 pm

sammynb wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:25 pm
shadowplay wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:32 am
sammynb wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:00 pm
There's new HTRK on its way.
Worth £1.86 of anyone's money. Sounds great, a wee bit of a twist back to Work (work, work) period both musically and thematically but still incredibly seductive. The rhythm side of the track certainly conjures up the ghost of Olento period Mika Vainio and Jonnine reminds me of Tracey Thorn more than ever, which is no bad thing.

I fear I know the answer to this question already but is there a (let's get) physical of this?

D
For those that want a vinyl copy, pre-order is now available. There are only 150 and one per customer.
https://htrk.bigcartel.com/product/htrk ... -pre-order
Thanks, cost as much in post again (which is no doubt your usual experience) but still happy to get it.

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:51 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:53 am

Midori Takada & Lafawndah - Le Renard Bleu vinyl won't be here for a while (August they say) but I've cracked and played the digital and it's AMAZING. Seriously this has the same epic fourth world depth as Sussan Deyhim & Richard Horowitz or Michael Brook & Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, a classic of it's kind already. Magical.

You can hear it in this film; KENZO - Le Renard Bleu by Partel Oliva

Susumu Yokota - Acid Mt. Fuji I've long wondered why no one has put this immense suite of techno that literally dances to it's own drum taking you on an expedition through a landsape of Yokota's own creation.

Acid Vatican - Repent MotherfuckerAntoni Maiovvi donning the death disco mitre and cassock. Suffer little eyelinered disco children

Hannah Peel - Particle G1 Planet Of Passed Souls remix by Erland Cooper from file only remix project

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:58 am

Broken English Club - Animal Town I got lucky when a mate turned up at the house with an earlybird copy of this elpee for me, I think it's due out any day anyway. Should be the national anthem, fucking amazing.

The thing about post punk and industrial is that so few folk really get the essence...this drains it, refines it and injects it back into the corpse.

Broken English Club - Anonymous Death tape

Broken English Club - Funny Games scabrous, industrial clonk to march your touche to at the 'suburban rubber parties' detailed in Animal Town.

Lindstrøm & Christabelle - Baby Can't Stop (Aeroplane Remix) not many things are better to dance to. absolute cosmic classik.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:03 am

mitra mitra - Shortwave if this isn't the best minimal wave elpee of the year I'm a dutchman.

The other recent Polytechnic Youth album Objeto is a cracker too.

I'm super hyped and wracked with anticipation for the Tomorrow Syndicate album; Tomorrow Syndicate - Lifeforce Euphorik motorik

Gwen Guthrie - Seventh Heaven (Larry Levan Remix) Epic dancefloor killer to sweep your hunny off their feet to. Unbeatable combination of stupefunky rhythm mastery, effortless honeyed vocals and Larry's whip smart modernism.

Lindstrøm - Didn't Know Better if I didn't know what this was and you played it to me blind I'd totally buy that it was a lost early 80's New York Disco classik

Hula - Torn silk gutter funk straight down the line!

Lonelady - Bunkerpop (LoneLady Michigan Pitch Down Mix)

Violence - Le Flux de la Nature fantastique petit 10' of beautiful monochrome fench noirwave

Beta Evers - Predictions think...a harder edged Zwischenwelt in 6 inch stiletto boots.

Beta Evers - Only For My Satisfaction (Bodyvolt Remix) divebombing sheStuka dominatrix of a track.

Pet Shop Boys-We All Feel Better In The Dark (After Hours Climax) 25p to you sir!

Deep Sleep - The B-52's gorgeous exotica vibrations

Depth Charge - Bounty Killers I watched the High Plains Drifter with the family at the weekend and felt it was time to revisit this legendary cut up12'

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:47 am