Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:48 am

Are you loathsome tonight?

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:00 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycN6VBxL-jw

The Coffin Daggers - Stella Vista '69

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:08 am

The Schmutz Sisters - La Folle I'm amazed I'd never heard this until it was put on a compilation, it's EXACTLY my sort of thing. Managed to get the original 12 for a price I was OK with. Near perfection this, with stern Swiss vocals transported from assembly at Switzerland's strictest mountaintop finishing school, accompanied by stentorian player piano and poltergeist percussion.

Paul Isherwood & Wayne Burrows: Altar Prayer For Laka if you aren't bothered about physical (and it's CD only anyway) this amazing album by a stray Soundcarrier and writer Wayne Burrows is a pay what you want and it's flipping amazing. I'm glad I was reminded of it when doing the guide.

Paul Isherwood & Wayne Burrows: A Hula for Laka (For Link Wray)

Bark Psychosis - The LoomI am certain that in some parallel universe Bark Psychosis and Disco Inferno are household names and that other band that came along later and popularised much of what they'd been doing, should be the one no one knows. I've had this record since it came out but I preordered the double vinyl reissue this week.

Bark Psychosis - Big Shot

David Sylvian And Robert Fripp - Darshana (Re-Constructed By The Future Sound Of London) immense fouth world bassmagic. Serving suggestion; 'serve through speakers at least the height of a five year old'.

Ian Hicks - False Awakening half of Soft Metals, lot's of handclaps, a surfieit for floor filling minimal wave power.

Love Theme - She's Here Alex from Dirty Beaches new project of hollowed out cold sax ambience.

Claudine Chirac - Nautilus More Swiss in this very beautiful minimal seven inch.

Bark Psychosis - Shapeshifting later period is less lauded but that guitar in the middle! CHRIST! Also impossible to tire of Lee Harris drums.

D

dj89
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dj89 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Scott Walker Prom (of his 60's albums) at Royal Albert Hall with orchestra
Jarvis Cocker, John Grant, Richard Hawley (has a lovely LPB 60's Jaguar but doesn't like Jazzmasters apparently for some reason haha), Susanne Sundfor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08yrwgm

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:08 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYNJi2V2Ugw

Judith Durham - Oh Happy Day

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:34 am

Sheila Chandra - One Genuine voice of a Goddess and indeed her current condition that prevents her singing is indeed like something from mythology where a voice is so beaustiful a Jealous god curses the singer with the crullest of curses.

The Early Years - Hall Of Mirrors (Andrew Weatherall Remix II)

The two below are from a (pathy) 4 track EP of Kraftwerk covers on Sonic Cathedral.

Remover - Neonlicht Hookworms personnel.

Disappears - Trans Europa Express

FUCHSIA - The Nothing Song semi forgotten funkyprogfolkclassik

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:36 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG8fugqFn9Q

Silversun Pickups - Panic Switch

includes Jag content !

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:21 am

Bezier - Stranger fantastic minimal wave disko on Dark Entries

The Sexual Objects (Davy Henderson) - Sometimes (Boards of Canada Remix) starts off much as you'd expect (not meant in a negative way) before morphing into a sort of schools and colleges singalong (again not in a negative way)

I just bought Various ‎– Closed Circuits: Australian Alternative Electronic Music of the '70's & 80's Volume 1 Put it this way, the stuff I had already was old and scratchy and the stuff I didn't own was really good, so it's well worth getting. Anyone who has never heard Cold Cafe by Karen Marks is the poorer for it, I'm sure I posted it before.

Anne Cessna & Essendon Airport - Talking To Cleopatra a track I don't know

Asphixiation - L' acrostique d' amour already had this album. It's a good track but there's better on the elpee.

The Limp ‎– Outer Space Moth another new to me track. Magic stuff.

The Metronomes - A Circuit Like Me knew this

And An A - Affirmation new to me, I feel I've heard this but I can't place where and I'd always ask anyone playing something.

Warm Didgits - Growth of Raindrops (feat. Sarah Cracknell) The Warm Didgits hop in Sarah Cracknells lovely Sepia Brown 69' 911 and hit the happy motorik highway

Warm Digits - Better Friction (feat. Mia La Metta) great hyperactive wave pop song

Sarah Davachi - Leicht seeing Sarah on Wednesday, she makes incredibly beautiful music.

Happy Meals - Every Moment Is A Birth some amazing musi soming out of Glasgow at the moment (esspeciall on Optimo Music the host organism of this album of light) and this is right at the top of the pile.

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:15 am

shadowplay wrote:Anyone who has never heard Cold Cafe by Karen Marks is the poorer for it, I'm sure I posted it before.
That is a great song.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:35 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
shadowplay wrote:Anyone who has never heard Cold Cafe by Karen Marks is the poorer for it, I'm sure I posted it before.
That is a great song.
It is, one of those great one notahit wonders.

Talking one notahit wonders...I've been playing this 1982 single a lot, it's got this bad/good super transistor guitar tone that probably works nowhere but in this song. I love the clear head girl singing.

Angel - Driving (Down)

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:47 am

I got that Sky Girl comp after hearing the song. The first song by Karen Smith reminds me of everything I loved about Guided By Voices when I first heard them. I know GBV likely isn't your cup of tea, but WOW. Finding an album with two amazing songs like this is a good day.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:59 am

Ascetic - Utterings (Ancient Methods Remix) Mrs S came home when I was playing this and voiced the opinion that she expected me to be stripped to the waist in a leather cap and shorts, with the strobe on. Very droll.

Luxos - Vihreä Ovi the four track compilation this is on is AMAZING! You can actually get this track with a lot of great Glasgow stuff for free if you are skint.

Shoc Corridor - Sargasso Sea (1981 Demo) already had the classic EP this is tacked onto but this is worth the price of admission alone. Immense post punk dub majesty to play againagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagainagain

Azar Swan - Passages

Cosmic Hoffmann - Space Disco pretty much what it says on the tin

Some killer re-edits on Disco Hamman (or House Hamman as they are this time out)

Fattish - Gel Seher Swiss family Shadowplay were forced to get up and do some improvised Iron Curtain linedancing to this. Edit ofPolad Bülbüloğlu - Gel ey seher

Tokyo Matt - Pi Po Pa Editsu edit of Yosui Inoue - Pi Po Pa. Think greased otter smooth, like a Japanese Sade

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:51 am

The Unknown Cases - Masimbabele (Khidja Remix) One of the main party tunes for us this summer.

Of course there's the original (which was recorded at Can Studio) and the late 80's Adrian Sherwood mix.

The Unknown Cases ‎– Masimba Bele 1983

The Unknown Cases -- Masimbabele 89 (Adrian Sherwood Remix)

Btw if you are looking for a couple of amazing compilations to act as buying jumping points or just a fantastic listen, you want; Sherwood At The Controls vol. 1 1979​-​​1984 and Sherwood At The Controls vol. 2 1985​-​1990

The tribe have also been doign their dane rituals to this beauty; Cain - Nagan

The Big Eyes Family Players - Song For Thirza a beautiful and worthy version of a truly great song by Lal Waterson.

Winding it down; Rachel Unthank and The Winterset - I Wish AMAZING signing, just astonishing. The way they do this live with harmonium only is Nico chilling.

Bowery Electric -Saved (Readwriteerror Mix) it's on a fairly esoteric triple compilation but it's good stuff especially the second half where the angelic bacon slicer guitar make it's appearance.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:12 am

Raime - Dialling In, Falling Out Ultimate minimal guitar prowl.

and this goes well with it my musical mind palace; Mark Van Hoen - Night Sky Alternatives

D

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:24 am

shadowplay wrote:Raime - Dialling In, Falling Out Ultimate minimal guitar prowl.

D
The basslines across the whole of Tooth are amazing. Great album.