Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:22 am

Earthling - I still Love Albert Einstein I was out running and somehow this just drifted into my mind, I've probably not heard it for 15 years at least but it still sound good.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:28 am

Cherrystones - Topical​-​MeatWav (Re​-​Edit) Francodelic copfunk creates bloody murder on the dancefloor. Probably should have stuck it in the spoken word thread.

Happy Meals - May You Be The Mother - May You Be The Son The last four or five Optimo music records have been absolutely stellar and this is no different. Full Ashram Devotional Ceremony (Volumes IV - VI) is another home town hit.

Vanishing Twin - Million Dollar Mermaid what a band!

The Flowerpop Men - UGUG came out in 1984 but you'd never know that to hear it, it's the killer bee of the most exalted potentate of Jo's So Mean To Josephine which just a fucking stunning song and the epic misadventures of a fellow with a cello.

Laika - Black Cat Bone 'kitty cat bone, kitty, kitty cat bone, kitty cat bone, kitty, kitty cat bone.' was something of a nursery rhyme for the eldest Shadowplay.

Laika - Breather

The Horrors - Machine I do prefer Cat's Eyes and Tom Furse's solo stuff but this is no bad for the sort of thing the milkman might whistle.

Tom Furse - The Ocean Is Teacher not a million miles from somethign like Gaussian Curve.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:24 am

We've guests and my mates Mrs has been humming tunes she heard in clubs years and years ago to see if I know what they are and indeed I do.

The Black Dog Featuring Ofra Haza ‎- Babylon (Aluminium Glue) Remix by Scanner I actually uploaded this myself since it was up nowhere and I'm fairly sure you can't buy it digitally anywhere. IMO for what it's worth one of the greatest remixes of all time or just one of the thee great tracks. I mean it's absolutely weaponised.

FSOL - Lifeforms (Path 4) featuring some Scottish singer wummin. :D Still sounds pretty damn fine to me.

Beanfield - Tides (C's Movement #1) (Carl Craig Remix) just an incredible, euphoric, feel good track, that had us all up dancing.

Cortney Tidwell Don't Let Stars Keep Us Tangled Up (Ewan's Objects In Space Remix) this came out when my eldest was four or so, she loved it so much and wanted to listen to it again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again...it actually started to drive me mad.

Alter Ego - Tanks Ahead (Black Dog Remix) bubbles of pure joy
D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:39 am

Jonny Nash & Suzanne Kraft - Refractory Cafe beautiful record of gauzy, spacial jazz(ish).

Massive Attack V Mad Professor - Three (Trinity Dub)

Bardo Pond - Sangh Seriatim this amazing maelstrom of grand mal guitar seizure is on the excellent Harmony Of the Spheres box set from 1996 (says 2014 on the soundcloud).

Night Moves - Transdance (UK Disco Mix) seeing this reissued makes me feel really fucking old, given that it was the very thing when I bought it 83.

23 Skidoo - G-2 Contemplation listening to Komodo Kolektif got me scampering back to this.

23 skidoo feat. Pharoah Sanders - Kendang

23 Skidoo - AYU (ambient)

Jorge Elbrecht feat. Tamaryn - "1/4 Circle Black (Turning Shrines cover)

Turning Shrines - ¼ Circle Black both songs are great rainy day summer guitar pop

D

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:15 am

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:57 am

Party Dozen's The Living Man - percussion and sax as it should be.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:47 pm

Kiss The Floor – This Desire Minimal Wave queen delivers a track which fully hits all my pleasure centers.

The bee by her beau, Karl O'Conner, is mighty fine too. The only celebrity couple worth bothering with, stick them on the cover Grazia!

Karl And The Kurbcrawlers – Same Day (Again)

Khidja - Microb remixes by Tolouse Low Trax (Kriedler) wobble my kosmische kapstans in just the right way.

Microb (Tolouse Low Trax Version 117)

Some picks from my 'You're kidding yourself if you think you can actually rebuild that engine on your own' very long playlist one of my younger daughters made up for me to listen to while I wail and knash my teeth in frustration at my lack of top (or even side) table mechanical ability...and more worryingly my lack of patience, perspective and ability to hold my hands up and admit some things are just best farmed out to professionals.

Minimal Compact - Low Flight beautiful ethereal spangle you can still dance to.

Flux - Nothing is not done I've been playing this record a lot again recently. Possibly counter orthodox but always preferred this to the the past life with added 'Of Pink Indians'.

Flux-The Value Of Nothing

Lake Ruth - Pictures From Home

Bel Canto - The suffering I'm a big fan and with the renewed interest in Biosphere I hope that more people take a look at Geir Jenssen's old band.

Autarkic - Wipe the Shame feat. Xen

Anneli Drecker (ex Bel Canto)- Raindrops

Santigold - Disparate Youth

Kite Base - Transition

Black Marble - Iron Lung OK it absolutely is what it is like but it's still good with it.

Elisa Waut - Russia. Normally I couldn't care less but I deeply envy a friend of mine who has the original cassette, I've just got the vinyl record from a few years later which came out on a local record label. The little one says Wolf our Siberian cat picked this. ??? The Wolf has great taste.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:56 pm

Song of the morning at least, there's plenty more day to go

Orbital - Are we here? - 15 minutes of pure joy

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:19 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhpobrex0Lo

Skip James - Hard Time Killin' Floor Blues

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:16 am

On a bit of a Sheffield theme

Some Clock DVA, a mix of 2nd hand purchases - they and CV turn up reasonable readily here as they were local, and hoovering up the last of the VOD releases, sadly I was a little late to the party.

Clock DVA - Uncertain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN3l0r23k_o

Clock DVA - (you get the whole of side a of 2nd here) Edge/1958/Mass/Le Viol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0trGVy6EefE

And a little more pop with your Sheffield synth sir?

Heaven 17 - (We don't need this) Fascist groove thang https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV5dbcOmw6I

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:27 am

I'm a super Clock DVA fan. If you don't know it and you see it when you are out and about have a look at Digitaria by T.A.G.C (The Anti Group Corporation) a Clock DVA spinoff.

posted it before and I'll post it again;

T.A.G.C. - Balag Anti (Sweatbox was a great label while it lasted)

T.A.G.C. - Dog Star

This is a bit of dark dancefloor classic from an earlier 12'.

The Anti Group ‎– The Anti-Group - Ha [Cabaret Voltaire Remix]

This is also a classic track from the first record in more of a classic post punk style or lets not be shy...it's goth funk! T.A.G.C. - Morpheus Baby

Have look out for Hula - Murmer elpee, it's a brilliant Sheffield record. I was resissued quite recently on Desire France IIRC but it sold OK new so it's not that rare.

Hula - Ghost Rattle

Hula - Tear-up

Hula - Delirium

Hula - Hour By Hour

Not city of steel related.

I adore Laika Silver Apples Of The Moon album and listening to Vanishing Twin somehow made me want to give it a proper listen again. They don't really sound super alike but it just popped up in the mind. Still sounds incredible, the palette is exquisite.

Laika - If You Miss

Laika - Marimba Song

Laika - Sugar Daddy

Laika - Coming Down Glass

btw the Grantby remix of Almost Sleeping off the next album is really great and if you never bought it I would super recommend Grantby* - The Beast System

I mean come on, what a vocal!

*most folk have probably heard the old track Timber without knowing it.

D

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:15 pm

shadowplay wrote: Elisa Waut - Russia. Normally I couldn't care less but I deeply envy a friend of mine who has the original cassette, I've just got the vinyl record from a few years later which came out on a local record label. The little one says Wolf our Siberian cat picked this. The Wolf has great taste.
Trickle down envy! I only have this on the Lost Tapes comp Minimal Wave put out several moons back*. Wolf sounds like a connoisseur of all things frostbound.

*...which reminds me Unovidual & Tara Cross - Like I Am/ Comme Je Suis, a Kronos among a compilation of Belgian titans.

Also a public service announcement:

Label Smalltown Supersound out of Norway brings the goods, a 2xLP relaxed fit rework of Dungen's Häxan (the gift that keeps on givingTM) cobbled together by Mr. Prins Thomas from the Haxan source tapes slated for release August 11.

Only one precious snippet puttering down the information superhighway, but preorder available here:
Dungen - Trollkarlen och fågeldräkten (Version 2) (Prins Thomas rework)...all I can say is :w00t: as I shuffle on with my birch meadow trance conga line.

BlurbAlert:
With ‘Versions By’ Prins Thomas takes Dungen on a journey down a new winding road; 17 minute epics, wide open spaces, Balearic ambience, psychedlia, all things cosmic and Kraut grooves. Or as the sleeve notes remark; "recorded, remixed, rearranged, chopped, screwed, glued and partially reproduced with love by Prins Thomas".

The record is woven together with the same stitch as his seminal mix-albums ‘Cosmic Galactic Prism’ and ‘Paradise Goulash’, creating the perfect flow, way beyond a mix. It’s obvious Prins Thomas has been enjoying himself with the original analogue tapes of the record.

“Dungen has long been one of my favourite bands. Their music is a daily staple in the house, so much so that even my 3 year old daughter recognises any Dungen record from the first few seconds playing. If there's any ‘dream comes true’s’ left, having Joakim (Smalltown Supersound founder) request a remix for them comes close. The tracks in question was the music for the 1929 animation film Adventures of Prince Achmed, the music that later became the Häxan album. With all the possibilities AND the limitations these tapes had it would be easy to get lost on the way… and of course, it DID get totally out of hand and I ended up with over an hour of recorded material. It has to be pointed out, this is NOT a ‘Dungen’ album, but more like an exploration of the raw material. In some places only using a single sound or two to construct something new, in other places just rearranging sections of songs. Hope you all enjoy hearing this record heard through a new set of ears.” – Prins Thomas

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:25 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrBd96o7y4Y

Divinyls - Back To The Wall

Amongst their blatant attempts to write a hit record, they did a nice line of slower songs with a touch of melancholy.

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:58 am

Mere Women - Silver and Gold
David, I think you would like Mere Women, Sydney band, if you haven't heard them.
They have a new album Big Skies out on Poison City Records which worth the listen.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:56 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFKf6A1UM74" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4-track demo version of remember me - the birthday massacre. sounds so much better than the album version. so much creepier.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'