Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:58 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:06 am
the KOMPROMAT record.
Sorry for my previous response, which was, well, inadequate. I don't know what got hold of me. :ph34r:
I consider Le Folle to be wholly Autark and truly peak marching to your own drum beat, whereas that unintentionally linked Possession track still rings a bit contrived and jarring in it's form to content, not to say it doesn't have it's place and purpose.
Hope that explains my outrage, I tried not to get hung up about it, good on him for testing new waters and I liked the rest of it well enough.

Listening to Josefin Ohrn + The Liberation is a quite the pick-me-up, thanks. Somehow makes me feel ashamed of my hopelessly anemic ways. :D
Carlos Maria Trindade / Nuno Canavarro - Mr. Wollogallu An all time fav. 4th world excursion, the B-side by N. Canavarro, especially, is unadulterated magic, it's where I like to start, followed up by the A. Rinse and repeat as needed. :-*

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:05 am

aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:58 pm
shadowplay wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:06 am
the KOMPROMAT record.
Sorry for my previous response, which was, well, inadequate. I don't know what got hold of me. :ph34r:
I consider Le Folle to be wholly Autark and truly peak marching to your own drum beat, whereas that unintentionally linked Possession track still rings a bit contrived and jarring in it's form to content, not to say it doesn't have it's place and purpose.
Hope that explains my outrage, I tried not to get hung up about it, good on him for testing new waters and I liked the rest of it well enough.

Listening to Josefin Ohrn + The Liberation is a quite the pick-me-up, thanks. Somehow makes me feel ashamed of my hopelessly anemic ways. :D
Carlos Maria Trindade / Nuno Canavarro - Mr. Wollogallu An all time fav. 4th world excursion, the B-side by N. Canavarro, especially, is unadulterated magic, it's where I like to start, followed up by the A. Rinse and repeat as needed. :-*
I totally understand the reaction, there's a couple of sounds on that record that make me cringe but the good tracks are good.

I find something quite comforting in the Josefin Ohrn album, it's easy to see where she draws inspiration but I had it on four times in a row yesterday.

I really like the split she did with Gnoomes and I've got the new Gnoomes on preorder; Gnoomes – Sword in the Stone

I really liked their last two records One Step off the last album has such an euphoric ending (start about 2.40 in).

I've studiously tried to give RSD the lack of interest it deserves but as is the way I've still ended up with a few things.

I'm not of the opinion the Living on the Ceiling needed remixed and I approached with scepticism but since I've enjoyed recent Richard Norris remixes of Mary Epworth and GULP I gave it a go. It's really hard to let go of 40 years of listening, it's not bad, it's just totally messing with my internal trim pots. It's still my song of the day because I'm going to listen to it a few times.

Gabe Gurnsey - New Kind (Extended Dub) just in, Phantasy were totally on it with this yesterday, I got the email, bought it and they'd shipped it in a couple of hours at the most. The host elpee was near the top of my list from last year.

Oh and btw superb selection from Mr. Wollogallu :-* SO BEAUTIFUL and a bit cheeky too with it's magpie like theft from IIRC Philip Glass.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:15 am

The Cassandra Complex - David Venus 'you can't get in here with jeans' 13 minutes of Suicide ramraiding a cutlery drawer.

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu May 02, 2019 2:26 am

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 02, 2019 2:58 am

Local Suicide & Curses - Who Cares nicely heavy lidded track that's not dissimialr to a mix of Eva Geist and Marie Davidson.

The Bats - North By north I saw this album had been reissued and decided to dig it out. Offset contentment in the video if you bother about such things.

DIÄT - W.I.G.T.D.W.M? love this elpee. It sets out it's stall broadly in the shaded area in the Venn intersection between anarcho punk and goth; grey and realist, as opposed to foppish posing (which has it's place too). Think The Mob , Lack of Knowledge, Killing Joke, early UK Decay, In Camera, Crisis, Visitors and even on occasion reminding me of Sex Gang Children exsanguinated of Andi and even OTOP/Deathwish Christian Death (again with all the theatricals knocked out of it).

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu May 02, 2019 3:47 am

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Thu May 02, 2019 7:09 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:05 am
I'm not of the opinion the Living on the Ceiling needed remixed and I approached with scepticism but since I've enjoyed recent Richard Norris remixes of Mary Epworth and GULP I gave it a go. It's really hard to let go of 40 years of listening, it's not bad, it's just totally messing with my internal trim pots. It's still my song of the day because I'm going to listen to it a few times.
Certainly well done, I think I still prefer the original. Releases like this or the "RSD 2019 Edition" Nocturnal Emissions reissues on Mannequin (only thing somehow RSD related I got) make me think they've been in line for a release anyhow and any RSD association was label employed solely to get folks buying who normally wouldn't be onto it. Certainly not your RSD flexidisc rub and sniff shit.
Loved Gabe Gurnsey's Psychical, made for a few fans amongst my friends, too.
I've been enjoying these recent O Yuki Conjugate - Insect talk remixes, hard to pick a favorite, I think they complement each other really well.
Last edited by aRoseisaRoseis on Thu May 02, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Thu May 02, 2019 8:06 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:58 am
Local Suicide & Curses - Who Cares nicely heavy lidded track that's not dissimialr to a mix of Eva Geist and Marie Davidson.

The Bats - North By north I saw this album had been reissued and decided to dig it out. Offset contentment in the video if you bother about such things.

DIÄT - W.I.G.T.D.W.M? love this elpee. It sets out it's stall broadly in the shaded area in the Venn intersection between anarcho punk and goth; grey and realist, as opposed to foppish posing (which has it's place too). Think The Mob , Lack of Knowledge, Killing Joke, early UK Decay, In Camera, Crisis, Visitors and even on occasion reminding me of Sex Gang Children exsanguinated of Andi and even OTOP/Deathwish Christian Death (again with all the theatricals knocked out of it).

D

I loved the first Diat LP. Having a little trouble getting into this one, there's a weird part of me that's irritated that they named a song "Missed the Bus" cause even though their song is way different it keeps reminding me of how much I dislike that Kriss Kross song from the early 90s (yuck). That one you listed above is my fav on this new LP though.

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Thu May 02, 2019 9:06 am

tune_link wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:06 am
shadowplay wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:58 am

D

I loved the first Diat LP. Having a little trouble getting into this one, there's a weird part of me that's irritated that they named a song "Missed the Bus" cause even though their song is way different it keeps reminding me of how much I dislike that Kriss Kross song from the early 90s (yuck). That one you listed above is my fav on this new LP though.
I'm a recent fan, wasn't aware of them prior to Positive Disintegration.
I'm surprised missing the bus is not a more frequent lyrical matter. Their Guitarist/Singer also has an album with solo material out (which has been rightfully compared to Television Personalities). It sports some equally delightful titles as "Good For Nothin' Man" and "Not Much To Do List".

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri May 03, 2019 3:16 pm

Once in a while, I feel a real need to listen to Paul Pena's Jet Airliner. Yep, it's a blues song you know as a Steve Miller song and I don't do blues music generally. But even I can't deny that the original version kind of rules.
This is an excellent rectangle

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Sun May 05, 2019 3:36 am

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Tue May 07, 2019 1:15 pm

The new Death & Vanilla sounds good.

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:13 pm

BIG|BRAVE - Holding

I feel like this band deserves a Shadowplay-level thread of their own but I'm not prosaic enough to do it... anyway, in honour of the release of their most recent album "A Gaze Among Them", here's one of two songs already released. They're touring the UK and EU with MY DISCO and they opened for SUNN O)))) on their last US tour, to give you some idea of a starting point.

Bonus offset content: Robin plays a Jaguar Special HH...

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 08, 2019 2:40 am

sammynb wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:15 pm
The new Death & Vanilla sounds good.
Was hoping it would arrive this morning but sadly no luck.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 09, 2019 2:35 am

Samuel Kerridge & Taylor Burch - Transmission 2 Samuel and Tayor straddle the hithertoo undiscovered ley line between Manchester and California on a really interesting record where Taylor (of the most wondrous Tropic of Cancer and DVA Damas) read excerpts of Jean Cocteau while Samuel does his trademark ominous mechine clanking. This is the record at it's most becalmed at other times is a morass of falling over itself junglism and rythmic cupboard slamming that's reminicent of Tri Repetae period Autechre.

RAKTA - Estrela Da Manha thanks to my learned friend aRoseisaRoseis for drawing my eye to this absolutely wonderful record. This comes on like some ultra panda eyed early Cocteau Twins hear through a cursed gramophone.

A Body Without Organs - Scrap The eye was drawn to this because of the Egyptotastic sleeve art but I stayed for the wonderful music. This track wasn't on the original 1985 cassette and it's a fantastic bonus sitting somewhere on the thread of spider silk linking Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, Shoc Corridor and Pink Industry.

Body Without Organs - Osiris Rises*

Alan Rankine - Can You Believe Everything I See (Part 1 & 2) total master track finding the common ground between electropop French film noir and Morricone.

Alan Rankine - Can You Believe Everything I See (Part 3)

Snow Ghosts- Black Widow I'm definitely more into the pretty songs ont he new Snow Ghosts.

Snow Ghosts - Ribcage

Snow Ghosts - SPinner

D

Body Without Organs were a duo from New York City consisting of Richard Behrens (lyrics, vocals, guitar) and Carl Howard (electronics, effects) formed in 1982. The pair brought together skill and ideas from such diverse areas as writing, poetry, ceremonial magic, studio technology, and mass media sounds and images. The name Body Without Organs could mean several things: a body, being an organization, without organs, or hierarchy; a form of anarchy, certainly opposed to the capitalist system, and if not directly opposed, then deeply skeptical of its effects on society. Richard was interested in anthropology and mythology and the Golden Dawn System of Magick as a meditative tool. Sort of aural performance artists doing their performance work who released four cassette albums through Howard’s Audiofile Tapes between 1985 and 1987.
We are proud to reissue their debut album “Isis and Thoth” from 1985 on vinyl for the first time. The album’s title pays homage to Isis: the protectress of the dead whose mournful tears for her husband/brother Osiris [the god of the dead who was murdered by his brother Set] were said to flood thee Nile annually, and unto the ibis or baboon headed Thoth: the heart [intelligence] and tongue [voice] of the sun god Ra. The nine compositions were created as scenes or moods with taped effects, delay pedals and found vocals. The duo employed droning synth syncopated with sparse percussive accents, esoteric vocal chanting, looping delayed beats, dissonant guitar and stuttering bass lines. Richard sadly passed away in 2017 and his widow Anna sent us the entire BwO cassette archive and we discovered a previously unreleased track “Scrap” included here. All songs have been remastered for vinyl by George Horn at Fantasy Studios. Each copy includes an 8.5x11 insert with photos and interview with Richard Behrens. “When you will have made him a body without organs, then you will have delivered him from all his automatic reactions and restored him to his true freedom" - excerpt from the radio play by Antonin Artaud: "To Have Done with the Judgment of God" (1947)