Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:24 am

Juniore - Ouh La La fingerclicking twangtastic organ accumulated YeYe tail swingin strut.

Juniore - Le jour d'après

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:31 am

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:49 am

:-*
Possibly one for the Mezalhead. This is already available on other releases but if you are more smart casual with this sort of thing its going to be a compliled joy when grouped as And We are Passing Through. Mogard infuses each track with epic gas giant drift, endless free fall splendour and tear pricking beauty without limit. If you only buy one thing this month or even this quarter you'll not be shortchanged by this.

Becoming Animal - The Sky Is Ever Falling (Abul Mogard Remix) I'm calling it already...the most beautiful song of the year. I am honestly beyond happy to hear Gordon Sharp's voice again, it's been too long, . When this was one I near forgot who I was, where I was and just lost myself for 15 minutes. The Becoming Animal* elpee is utterly breathtaking

Aïsha Devi - O.M.A. (Abul Mogard Remix)

nick nicely - London South (Abul Mogard Remix)

Penelope Trappes - Carry Me (Abul Mogard Remix)

Fovea Hex - We Dream All The Dark Away

*Becoming Animal - Meshes of Light sky scraping angeldemon voice, a soul scouring folk singer from the beyond.

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:55 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:56 am

Lena Platonos - Cyaniris (Anatolian Weapons 6 a​.​m. Eternal). Love this and the original Lena Platonos Lepidoptera elpee is brilliant oo.

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:41 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:46 am

Salford Electronics - Shadowfall It's grimmer up north. Darkling SPK evocation, a full quiver of shivers.

Salford Electronics - Deconstruction (Ancient Methods Deconstruction) pummeling speedball tech that blacker than a Ravens's wing, as unsmiling as the love of my life and seemingly features a couple of Clangers being tortured.

Salford Electronics – Deconstruction (Vatican Shadow Remix) one of those track that makes you wish you were in possession of your very own black clad majorette troupe.

Front Line Assembly feat. Robert Görl - Eye On You most of this record isn't worth having, especially the pish weak cover of Falco's Rock Me Amadeus which is arguably less edgy than the original, roughly as inviting as a weekend at a wellness camp sober disco and roughly on a level you'd expect from something featuring a cameo from a character named Jimmy Urine

Front Line Assembly - No Limit

The Leather Nun - Primemover I'm more a Slow Death sorta LN fan but sometimes you ned to get the party started.

The Leather Nun - Gimme Gimme Gimme

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:44 am

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:19 am

The Sisters of Mercy - Driven Like the Snow smooth and comforting like special edition black Ovaltine.

The Skeletal Family - Trees I picked this recently but I've not put it away since. What an I say...I've never grown out my goth period, even 37 years after I first bought this single. Shame the never reached these heights again even if I've fond affections for them.

The Stranglers - Skin Deep always loved this despite of it being widely hated by yer more hairy backed Stranglers fans.

and out with the old and onto the new..

Xeno & Oaklander - Insomnia embracing polyphony and sounding good on it. Definitely one for anyone who likes Chris and Cosey and Hard Corps, it's got that same cold sensuality elan.

Curt Cress - Dschung Tek mad acid forthworld collision to bong your imaginary steel drums to and who doesn't like playing air steels? Not really new it's from 92 but just got rebooted on Music From memory

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:30 am

Literally just ripped the box off this...Curses & Local Suicide - Secret Friends I LOVED the Curses elpee from last year 'Romantic Fiction'. This isn't quite on that level but it's fine for doin' the bump to down the Post Punk disko with it's Coseyalike vocals, kinda Continental soundspace, build to nice twangy finish and a bit of a recent Weatherall feel.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:49 am

Cortex - The Flowers of Evil the main guy in Cortex was in peak The Leather Nun for The SLow Death EP. This is by far their best song and kinda limps along like Slow Death.

Cortex - Animals (...Looking At Me)

The Associates Schampout (Extended Version) no need to take two bottles of schampout into the shower with extended Associates Shampout.

D

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:28 am

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:49 am
And We are Passing Through.
:w00t:
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:51 am

mezcalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:28 am
shadowplay wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:49 am
And We are Passing Through.
:w00t:
Utterly incredible. I was talking to the boss of Houndstooth his label ages ago about Penelope Trappes and he was telling me that Mogard (we'll call him that despite it being a pseudonym) recommended Penelope to him and he was telling me I'd be blown away when this came out.

Honestly I am floored by this, it's got both oceanic weight and vaporous light seemingly simultaneously. I typed up a thread on it last night after listening to it again but three quarters of the way through decided not post it.

if you read the label blurb, they reference This Mortal Coil and it's actually not a bad shout with the Nick Nicely track coming on like an extended deconstriction of the TMC Firebrothers cover.

Btw I'd super recommend all the artists remixed, I've talked about the first three but Becoming Animal and Fovea Hex are incredible. Becoming Animal see's the god voiced Gordon Sharp finally deciding to fucking sing again and Fovea Hex are like the missing link between a sort of ghosted Emerald Isle Unthanks and Coil!!!!!!!!!!!!

This Fovea Hex set in imbued with ancient magick

Fovea Hex - Neither Speak Nor Remain Silent

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:25 am

Susanna & The Brotherhood Of Our Lady - By Earth and Starry Heaven really great concept album inspired by Hieronymus Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights and named IIRC after his patrons, that's a must for anyone with a soft spot for Kate Bush and Joni Mitchell.

Susanna & The Brotherhood Of Our Lady - Wilderness If you buy one record a week and aren't sure...this would be it. I often consider starting a thread on angel voiced singers and Susanna would certainly feature.

Tamaryn - Angels of Sweat younger kids have had this on plenty, less dream pop and more POP but being poptimist over rockist I'm going with her deeper raids into Madonna world like the title track. However tracks like Paranoia VI and Terrified also continue some of the themes from Cranekiss.

Thighpaulsandra - The Goat Owl prowls between a queasy Coil drain expoloration, strutting LSD sex robot swagger and a sort of diseased prog sensibility of a Peter Gabriel seen through broken mirror and...fucking great.

Severed Heads - Jetlag (concrete mix)

D

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:56 pm

Agreed on the Becoming Animal and Fovea Hex links. Quite reminiscent of Dead Can Dance to me, if that's not a lazy analogy.

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:51 am
Mogard (we'll call him that despite it being a pseudonym)
Next you'll be telling me he's not a retired Serbian metalworker or whatever.

I have that Tamaryn already on the radar, I really liked the last one, which I picked up on recommendation from you as well IIRC.

Not sure I can really get my head around the Thighpaulsandra, I find some of that sort of music sits well with me and then some doesn't, depending on mood. (That probably says more about me than it does about them.)

Severed Heads on the other hand I can listen to all day. Interesting excerpt from an old interview with Tom Ellard here for anyone so inclined.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.