Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:32 am

sammynb wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:00 pm
There's new HTRK on its way.
Worth £1.86 of anyone's money. Sounds great, a wee bit of a twist back to Work (work, work) period both musically and thematically but still incredibly seductive. The rhythm side of the track certainly conjures up the ghost of Olento period Mika Vainio and Jonnine reminds me of Tracey Thorn more than ever, which is no bad thing.

I fear I know the answer to this question already but is there a (let's get) physical of this?

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:59 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:32 am
I fear I know the answer to this question already but is there a (let's get) physical of this?

D
Mistletone, their local label, haven't mentioned anything and they like a pre-sale, so probably not.
But I don't think the next album is to far away, end of the year would be a good guess.

They were meant to play a couple of shows two weeks ago but had to cancel as Nigel had a "fender bender" and broke his collar bone.

Edit:
Scratch that, turns out it's available on pre-order from Ghostly International.
But Ghostly's website only has the digital version listed!!!

So back to fuck knows.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:13 am

Hilary Woods - Inhaler not got far into this album but this is really quite lovely.

Death In Vegas - Hands Around My Throat (with Nicola Kuperus)

The Tyrell Corporation - Loose The Hero Get Back To Zero (with Nicola Kuperus) I've picked the peerless A side of this numerous times but the B-side is a belter too.

The Radio Dept. - Always A Relief I was driving along last night and this just popped in my head and I just had to put the album on today. Deep genius in it's deceptively sophisticated naivety.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:04 am

Death In Vegas - Honey Ooh la la, Sasha Grey bringing the breathy erotik to this pulsing bioluminescent electronik jellyfish.

The bee is also a belter, it's a dub of older track Witchdance (vocals by Katie Stelmanis/Austra ).

Death in Vegas- Witchdance (dub)

I have a feeling both tracks are going to get some play at this years Shadowplay 'The Summer Solstice Is Delayed in the Post' party this Friday night. Not by me sadly, I've been told by the girls that my turntable services are no longer required (but my records are >:( ).

Sam McLoughlin - Folklore of Plants Vol.II - Venefic Garden (new on Folklore Tapes). Absolutely magical stuff, literally alchemical. Anyone who has seen Sam/N.Racker live will know what I mean, it's astonishing the music he coaxes forth from his array of bicycle spokes, home made scrap marimba's and blocks of timber. Bowing, plucking and thumping majestic sounds from the most unlikely of objects. The sleeve notes on this one are very interesting too. Only 250 copies on godly 10 inches and still not sold out which is flipping amazing if you ask me. I hope interest in Folklore Tapes isn't on the wane.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:52 am

Tis' the Solstice so be jolly...

Coil - Beestings (and it's killer Bee Summer Substructures) utterly transcendent, harnessing the sort of forces Lovecraft says are 'beyond our ken'. Most bands are playing snap while Coil get out their Tarot.

Ultramarine - British Summertime grunge era classic ;)

Ultramarine - Discovery because one is never enough....pure happiness.

The full Shadowplay coven are heading North for 6 weeks on Saturday...

The Corries - Highland Lament immense drone and sadness like a hornet sting to the heart. Would bring tears to the eyes of a tottie. Trimmed a wee bit in this version but still immense.

Virginia Wing - Relativity I adore the Japanesque clockwork orientalism of this.

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:37 am

^
Eight Hours Don't Make A Day is the track that jumps out at me from the Virginia Wing album.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:00 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:40 am
Abul Mogard - All This Has Passed Forever just pure beauty, rolling diamond dust twinkling in the air. Makes me think of () period Sigur Ros becalmed to a glacial drift.
New Abul Mogard out on fancy marbled vinyl - snippets at Boomkat:

https://boomkat.com/products/above-all-dreams
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:22 am

mezcalhead wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:00 pm
shadowplay wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:40 am
Abul Mogard - All This Has Passed Forever just pure beauty, rolling diamond dust twinkling in the air. Makes me think of () period Sigur Ros becalmed to a glacial drift.
New Abul Mogard out on fancy marbled vinyl - snippets at Boomkat:

https://boomkat.com/products/above-all-dreams
Yeah that sounds great.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:35 am

Gazelle Twin - Hobby Horse insane , feral and nightmarish. She's the full package, I mean check out the new look which slashes across folk ritual, national hunt and hooligan sportswear. Elizabeth's (and the likes of Natalie from Lone Taxidermist) really interesting in the modern pop and culture context where a lot of girls get a lot of work done to look pretty or conform to prescribed notions of such things, while they go the opposite way and make themselves ugly and nightmarish.

Gazelle Twin - Deep England less feral and more hissing sinisterly in your ear. Lyrics are great.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:31 am

Sharron Kraus - Joy's Reflection is Sorrow really like this new album of gorgeous, piping pastoral baroque folk that's the perfect soundtrack for all your summer daisy chain crafting. It also has a great sleeve.

Sharron Kraus - Figs and Flowers

Charlotte Gainsbourg - Deadly Valentine (Soulwax Remix) damn you digital only releases. I really like this floor filler but I'd never have known about it if I hadn't heard it played at the weekend.

Michal Turtle feat HOVE - Greatness In The Catapult

Akira Ishikawa - Do It 'Til You're Satisfied easy Japanesey jazz funk instro cover of funk classic.

David Eugene Edwards & Alexander Hacke - Triptych not much of this out in the wild to link to but an interesting record, if tending towards something I'm not in the mood for at this preise moment This is kinda apocalyptic folk on autoreverse, while other tracks ome on like Suicide coming to an unfortunate and in a wood chipper.

Yris Den – Amen Auro Atha

The Pool - Dance it Down primitive Pet Shop Boys into the lowest of lo-fo Streetsounds electro. Unironic love.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:37 am

Insides - Further Distractions essentially a promo remix of Distractions off the brilliant Insides album Euphoria (93)which anyone with a taste for dream pop should check out. Builds beautifully towards some gorgeous rippling Durruti style guitar.

Insides - Darling Effect very lovesly as my youngest is wont to say.

Thin White Rope - Wet Heart close to the summit of electric rock guitar for me. First five albums just reissued.

Sudan Archives - Escape Mrs S has had this on all morning and I'm enjoying hearing it. She uses her violin not unlike how Coleen used her viola da gamba.

And because there's something in her mewl that reminds me...

Erykah Badu - Other Side Of The Game smoother than a soapy otter.

Erykah Badu - Green Eyes more honey than a case of suger puffs.

Arp - Nzuku the sunny high uplands of fourth world

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:07 am

Jübl - Sweet dreams. Essentially AR Kane sibling spinoff band Sufi reborn and really pretty decent if not up to lover levels.

Jübl - Thinking about you

and the rather natty continuous mix of the two

I wish they put this out on a civilised format, I am SO not into the fucking USB release.

D

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:33 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:13 am
Virginia Wing - The Second Shift new album's excellent and very much carrying on down the path from the wonderful XAM Duo collaboration album. Not much to link to and this at least has moving images.
I should come here more often, especially to check this thread. How could I miss out the new Virginia Wing album.
I'll also go through the all other postings of the past few weeks/months ...curious :)

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:44 pm

sammynb wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:00 pm
There's new HTRK on its way.
oh, cool.
btw: I am really wondering if the singer's husband is working on some new music the moment. I'd love to hear a 2nd Standish/Carlyon album.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:51 am

PJazzmaster wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:44 pm

oh, cool.
btw: I am really wondering if the singer's husband is working on some new music the moment. I'd love to hear a 2nd Standish/Carlyon album.

Yeah me too. I remember seeing them support HTRK and not expecting much since Conrad was dressed in ironic high waisted snow washed jeans tucked into padded hi-tops and sported a thin Midge Ure moustache (and hair cut) but 30 seconds in I was a fan.
PJazzmaster wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:33 pm
. How could I miss out the new Virginia Wing album.
I really like how they have developed, it would have been easy for them to turn further down the path marked 'a bit like Broadcast but more guitars' but they've really gone their own way. I also like how they've moved up north in reverse Dick Whittington fashion.

Did you get the collab record with XAM Duo (Hookworms spinoff)? It's a wee bit more postpunkjazzkosmische and IMO fantastic.

D