Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by windmill » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:53 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjLSf8y94fU

Blind Willie Johnson - Dark Was The Night Cold Was The Ground

Groovy Tunes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Groovy Tunes » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Daffodils - Mark Ronson featuring Kevin Parker

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:15 am

Dropped off by a Raven at Castle Shadowplay is a really beautiful artefact featuring the guitar witchery of Dean McPhee and Seabuckthorn. 100 copies only lathecut seven wrapped in hessian decorated with bark and packaged with mystical hand formed tokens. Wolf People Joe recommended Seabuckthorn to me a while back and I'm really looking forward to the new album.

Dean McPhee- Altar Rock

Checkout Seabuckthorn's new album - Turns. :-* I adore how he sounds like some sort of enchanted player piano for guitar;organic, rippling, spinning, hand cranked . I get a similar feeling when I hear James Blackshaw but Seabuckthorn is very much it's own thing.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:39 am

That's some packaging going on there, lovely.

Anyway, can't post links here because of the firewall, can't post them from home because still no internet (grrrr!), so if you don't know them, you'll have to search.

I went record buying at the weekend, and favourites amongst my purchases:

Steve Reich - Sextet

More minimalist percussion based stuff - and owing Reich & Terry Riley a huge debt to my ears

Midori Takada - Crossing (thanks to Shadowplay for bringing the album to my attention, not only up my street, but on my driveway and in my garage. I'd been a bit tardy and just managed to get a copy of the 2x12 before it sold out here)

And lastly

Clark - Un U.K.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:01 am

NickD wrote:
More minimalist percussion based stuff - and owing Reich & Terry Riley a huge debt to my ears

Midori Takada - Crossing (thanks to Shadowplay for bringing the album to my attention, not only up my street, but on my driveway and in my garage. I'd been a bit tardy and just managed to get a copy of the 2x12 before it sold out here)
That's one of those best kept secrets, a beautiful album.

I also need to get round to playing that Clark album, hopefully tonight.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:51 am

GAS - Narkopop 2 Into the trees. You know how ancient forests with clean air are flocked with lichen, like a Manx Beach buggy? This is techno densely flocked in lichen that whispers with the wind, damped, deep, slowmoving like sap, shrouded in a soft waterfall sibilance. It's ruinously expensive on vinyl but still worth every penny.

Rupa - Aaj ShanibarI'm not cool enough to own this already but I bought the reissue and it's a whirling dervish of Pakistani disko magick! I am all alone today and I have pets to do the hustle with. :( Slow build up to a big George Benson getting it on with Ernie Isley guitar solo.

Toydrum - I'm in Love Tonight (Pye Corner Audio Rework) comes out very Junior Boys. The hard copy is stupidly dear, I just bought the file.

Barrett's Dottled Beauty - The Cynic, The Dipper and The ThrushI saw a dipper this morning when I was out running along a local riverbank, a properly awesome little bird and this hallucinatory psyche folk hall of mirrors isn't half bad either

Barrett's Dottled Beauty - Owls In Her Eyes

UnicaZürn - Breathe the Snake not exactly easy listening...uneasy listening...but really quite beautiful when it gets going.

Public Image Ltd.- Pied Piper just an amazing ball of confusion.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:33 am

Biosphere- Black Mesa (feat. Joan Lorring & Leslie Howard) Seven inches of BEATUY. So much electronical gorgeousness coming on like BOC sleepover with Ulramarine.

Biosphere - Turned to Stone (feat. Joan Lorring)

Pulusha - Isolation (Part 1 & 2) fathomless frosty beauty, leaves you floating in the diamond dust.

Emmanuelle Parrenin - Céleste et les nuagesI like her 70's Maison Rose album, which evokes images of deep forest medieval fayre and I was pretty keen to get my hand on these tracks recorded around the same time.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 03, 2017 6:50 am

Really like the new Ensemble Economique elpee 'In Silhouette'. It's a slight departure from the more recent albums, starting off with an epic 20 minute track that could almost be Coil, or Tangerine Dream when they are doing that dawn of creation sound and moving on to tracks which make me think of GAS collaboration with a zoetrope Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus and onto a track with very Fourth World drums.

Streamable here; Ensemble Economique - In Silhouette.

NewJon Brooks Autres Directions just in today and loving it.

Bought some great records this week but need to find time to post them.

D

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Wed May 03, 2017 11:37 pm

shadowplay wrote:GAS - Narkopop 2 Into the trees. You know how ancient forests with clean air are flocked with lichen, like a Manx Beach buggy? This is techno densely flocked in lichen that whispers with the wind, damped, deep, slowmoving like sap, shrouded in a soft waterfall sibilance. It's ruinously expensive on vinyl but still worth every penny.

D
Picked this up yesterday and listened to it last night (I'd auditioned a couple of tracks already). So good. I've just ordered a copy of Box this morning, so that's my Sunday sorted!

Groovy Tunes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Groovy Tunes » Thu May 04, 2017 5:06 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ohMwcpWFh8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ludvig Moon - Sparks. *They play Jaguars and Jazzmasters!*

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMjQm2_YE8k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Away - Caught in a Fire

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sat May 06, 2017 3:59 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8j6N_7o6Uk

The Go-Betweens - I Need Two Heads

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sun May 07, 2017 12:57 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO7_z_0ayAc

Shindiggers - Talkin' bout You

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon May 08, 2017 6:30 am

Over the mystic moon to get Colleen - The Golden Morning Breaks on vinyl for the first time.

I don't want to bandy about superlatives willy nilly but if I Want to Tell you A Story isn't absolute perfection, it's doing a pretty good impression of it.

A nice side product in buying this on vinyl was the kids wanting to screen the cover onto tee shirts and we had a nice afternoon screen print workshop.

Mr. Tophat feat. Robyn - Trust Me I've bought very little disko glitter this year but I'm totally up for dancing myself dizzy with this one.

Forest Swords - Panic serious big speak pressure....still makes you move like a praying mantis.

Jac Berrocal, David Fenech and Vincent Eppla - Why The first time I heard of this I thought it was like MASS having a go a Wilmot. I'm going to stick with that.

TOMAGA - Greetings From The Bitter End I adored the last TOMAGA elpee The Shape of the Dance and this carries on the good work and possibly surpasses it. I ADORE Valentina Magaletti's drumming, it's seldom something that totally jumps out at me but I really notice her playing when ever I hear it, she's like human machine.

There's also a Cavern of Anti-Matter remix on the 12' Tomaga - Gonda's Dream (Cavern of Anti-Matter Version)

D

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Mon May 08, 2017 9:43 am

Top notch content as usual,
Tomaga blew me away, right up (er.down?) my valley of 4th world gloom, gonna have to get the lp's.
Omala - Davul in a similar vein
Mappa Mundi - Sexafari you might enjoy this (if you're not familiar with it already, that is)
Zazou Bikaye – Komba looking forward to the Terra Incognita reissue.
Splinter Test - A debris of murder Are you aware on any vinyl press of this?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 09, 2017 6:00 am

aRoseisaRoseis wrote:Top notch content as usual,
Tomaga blew me away, right up (er.down?) my valley of 4th world gloom, gonna have to get the lp's.
Omala - Davul in a similar vein
Mappa Mundi - Sexafari you might enjoy this (if you're not familiar with it already, that is)
Zazou Bikaye – Komba looking forward to the Terra Incognita reissue.
Splinter Test - A debris of murder Are you aware on any vinyl press of this?
Yeah TOMAGA is great, Valentina also drums for Vanishing Twin and Raime.

Some fantastic music there, the Zazou, Bikaye CY1 recrd is a bit of a classic IMO.

I also love that Omala record, I can't recall it being mentioned for years anywhere but it's a long time favourite and that track is an absolute belter.

I'm sure Splinter Test is CD only sadly.

This morning I've been enjoying the retrofuturist pop of Hong Kong in The 60's;

Hong Kong In The 60s - Patricia

and a spot of Moon Duo at their most sunny; Moon Duo - Mirror's Edge. The record is pretty breezy all in and the last track The Crystal World could even possibly be a recent Belbury Poly track with it's brushed denim glam suffle.

and Pinkcourtesyphone - ׂׂׂׂBoundlessly ׂ(for ׁM Heyerׁׁ) with Cosey Fanni Tutti.

You can never have too much Cosey.

I just bought the reissue on vinyl of Disco Inferno In Debt (on Rocket Girl). Being of a certain age, I already have the singles and elpee but it's nice to have them all in the one place and all shiny bright and new. Ended up having to buy Mrs S and two kids their own copies because they were eyeing mine like it was the one true ring and then the other three kids start wondering why they haven't been given copies!

Disco Inferno - Entertainment still sounds fucking amazing.

I think this next one is right down the alley of Porkyprimecut. I'd recommend he hot trott off to buy Keb Darge And Cut Chemist ‎– The Dark Side (30 Sixties Garage, Punk And Psych Monsters). I used to buy anything like this I could find (as a seven) but as is the way with such things I've barely scratched the surface. Good value IMO.

Tigerman - Tiger Girl

D