MBV new book

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
dc
Expat
Expat

MBV new book

Post by dc » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:11 am

i imagine most of you by now are familiar with the "33-1/3" book series, wherein a random author -- musician, fan, whoever -- explicates a famous album, often from a highly personal angle. it's a cool series.

anyway, after being delayed for what seemed like an eternity -- the irony! -- the edition on Loveless is finally out. here's the blurb:

Book Description
My Bloody Valentine’s Loveless is one of the most revered albums of the 1990s. Highly influential, shrouded in mystery, it has – so far – been an impossible album to follow up for its chief creator, Kevin Shields. Here, Mike McGonigal pieces together the often painful process behind the writing and recording of Loveless, and tries to separate fact from fiction in a story that involves (among other things) chinchillas, chicken-eating contests, countless engineers, and sleep deprivation. The result – with the help of Kevin Shields and the rest of MBV – is a fitting tribute to this remarkable record.

About the Author
As a fifteen year-old in Miami, FL, Mike McGonigal founded the fanzine Chemical Imbalance, a compelling mixture of indie music, enthused literature, and visionary art. At 19, after moving to NYC to study sculpture at NYU, he started freelance writing for the Village Voice, Artforum, Spin, and other publications.
Mike currently resides in Portland, OR where he writes about music and art for a living. He's the editor of YETI magazine, a freelance art curator and co-director of YETI publishing (books in the works from Luc Sante, Alan Greenberg, Tara Jane O'Neil and others).
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: MBV new book

Post by blacktiger » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:43 pm

Yeah, I mentioned that in the Shields/Guthrie thread.  It's a quick, but good, read.
Thread killer