Television.....

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Television.....

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:09 am

You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Television.....

Post by jetset » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:44 am

Hell Yeah, I was at the '93 DC show.  Wonder if there's a complete video of it somewhere?  I hear he's playing strats more these days. 

Here's our version of "Friction":
http://www.thejennifers.com/The_Jennife ... iction.mp3

-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:16 am

jetset wrote: Hell Yeah, I was at the '93 DC show.  Wonder if there's a complete video of it somewhere?  I hear he's playing strats more these days. 

Here's our version of "Friction":
http://www.thejennifers.com/The_Jennife ... iction.mp3

-J
He plays a frankenguitar- it's a binding and dots JM neck, bolted to an unfinished Warmouth (I think) body, loaded with dano-style lipstick pickups.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:09 pm

jazzheadmark wrote: I never realized Tom Verlaine played a Jazzmaster.
Really? For many, Tom Verlaine typifies the best in Jazzmaster-wielding post-punk. IMHO he really plays to the strengths of the instrument.

There's a funny quote in an interview somewhere, when he's asked about string gauges. He says that going up a gauge gave him a better sound and feel .. then after a while the rush wore off and left him craving more so he went up another gauge, then another .. "We're on .15s now and climbing".
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:19 pm

The only person I ever noticed (before I joined this site!) who played a Jazzmaster around that time was Elvis Costello. I was fairly young back then. I only started to recognize them in my mid / late teens when I started  listening to Spacemen 3, Dinosaur Jr. & Sonic Youth.

Any info & images of Television era musicians with Jazzmasters & Jaguars would go down a treat.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:35 pm

mezcalhead wrote:
jazzheadmark wrote: I never realized Tom Verlaine played a Jazzmaster.
Really? For many, Tom Verlaine typifies the best in Jazzmaster-wielding post-punk. IMHO he really plays to the strengths of the instrument.
Tom Verlaine is THE reason I play a Jazzmaster.  No Tom, no Jazzmaster.  I've wanted one since I saw photos of him and Television, back in the 80's.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:07 pm

A handful of Television pics from around the web:

Their other guitarist, Richard Lloyd, has some very interesting lessons and views on the art of guitar on his website.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:18 pm

Funny. Back in the early 90's in England we had bands such as The Happy Mondays, The Stone Roses & Inspiral Carpets who spawned a hundred copycat bands (happens a lot doesn't it?)
One band was actually called The Tom Verlaines. They were shit!! Took me 5 years to find out who he was!!

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:24 pm

There is or was an NZ band called the Verlaines who are/were pretty good, in that jangly naive Bats-like kinda way.

They didn't sound much like Television and I suspect they were actually named after the French poet:

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:52 pm

mezcalhead wrote: There is or was an NZ band called the Verlaines who are/were pretty good, in that jangly naive Bats-like kinda way.

They didn't sound much like Television and I suspect they were actually named after the French poet:

From whom Tom Miller nicked his stage name!

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:47 pm

Ah .. it all comes full circle.