Pearl Jam's new single is... good?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
interceptör
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pearl Jam's new single is... good?

Post by interceptör » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:13 am

I mean, what the hey? I used to love Ten when it came out, but as far as I've heard, everything they've released after 1992 has been utter shit.

And now, 32 years later, the new single Dark Matter actually sounds pretty damn good to me. I can kinda hear a lot of Soundgarden and RATM/Audioslave on it, maybe even some nü metal (gasp!) vibes.

https://youtu.be/6Fx8LprPMIU?si=Et_t7ERED7UqVnFL

What's going on? Can someone please explain? Or is it just me? Do I need to seek professional help?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pearl Jam's new single is... good?

Post by sal paradise » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:09 am

interceptör wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:13 am
I mean, what the hey? I used to love Ten when it came out, but as far as I've heard, everything they've released after 1992 has been utter shit.
Apart from the fact that Vs & Vitalogy are great albums, Pearl Jam slowly morphed into the best kind of grown-up blues rock band. Their last album, Gigaton, was a step back to heavier sounds, & is a great listen. They might also be the best live band ever, too.

Don’t want to go as far as saying you’re wrong, but i’d definitely recommend revisiting your opinion.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:52 am

sal paradise wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:09 am
interceptör wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:13 am
Apart from the fact that Vs & Vitalogy are great albums, Pearl Jam slowly morphed into the best kind of grown-up blues rock band. Their last album, Gigaton, was a step back to heavier sounds, & is a great listen. They might also be the best live band ever, too.

Don’t want to go as far as saying you’re wrong, but i’d definitely recommend revisiting your opinion.
I kinda fell off the wagon after Vitalogy, to be honest, and everything I heard after that was... Mellow? Yeah, they grew up, and... Well, so have I. :D Somehow, though, my tastes got broader but also leaned heavier, but even when stuff is on the mellower end of my tastes it still has some sort of... I guess "life" and "immediacy" are the words. I felt that was a bit lacking in Vitalogy, which is ironic given the name, but Ten will always live in my Top Five™ albums. It's just so interesting that (I want to stress, in my opinion, which probably isn't worth the bandwidth costs to transmit them to your display) they had lost that immediacy, but then I also have to think about the sheer amount of output they've had BEFORE and outside of Pearl Jam [Green River (Gossard and Ament), Mother Love Bone (Gossard and Ament), Temple of the Dog (basically current PJ plus Chris Cornell), Mad Season (McCready), Brad (Gossard), freakin' Soundgarden (Cameron), and I'm sure I'm missing something] and they've done pretty good for themselves.

I'll have to give the new tune a listen when I'm not at work so I can get more than three-second chunks into my ears without interruption. LOL

interceptör
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by interceptör » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:58 am

sal paradise wrote:
I exaggerated, of course, but this is actually something that I've often pondered over the decades.

I bought every album until Yield or Binaural and honestly thought they were an insulting parade of wasted talent. I always thought their attempt to re-invent themselves as an anti-commercial punk band after Ten was truly sad and painful to look at and listen to; not only was Vedder's new vocal style positively ear-grating, but the whole band just seemed to be umcomfortable in their own skin, completely out their own element.

But then again, that could be just me, I guess.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:37 am

the answer is NO
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:03 am

It's a good tune. I'm a huge fan of Vs., in my opinion one of the best rock albums of the 90s. I never need to hear any song off of TEN for the rest of my life.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:29 pm

interceptör wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:58 am
sal paradise wrote:
I exaggerated, of course, but this is actually something that I've often pondered over the decades.

I bought every album until Yield or Binaural and honestly thought they were an insulting parade of wasted talent. I always thought their attempt to re-invent themselves as an anti-commercial punk band after Ten was truly sad and painful to look at and listen to; not only was Vedder's new vocal style positively ear-grating, but the whole band just seemed to be umcomfortable in their own skin, completely out their own element.

But then again, that could be just me, I guess.
No, it's definitely not just you. I think our opinions are just fine.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:54 pm

so i wanna get my opinions on pearl jam out the way before i say what i think of the new single.

you ever have one of those bands, for every song they have you like, they have 10 you really don't? that's always been pearl jam for me. the worst part is, i can't even tell you why the songs that don't work for me don't or the songs that do work work. if you pushed me, i'd say something like "my allergy for blooze guitar" but i don't think that's always the case. also, fun fact. pearl jam is banned at my work and if it comes on the auto generated playlist, you must shout "NOT TODAY EDDY CHEDDER" and run to the PC.

but what do i think of that new pearl jam single? it's fine. i really like how the drums sound but i was waiting for a good hook which wasn't there. but it doesn't matter what i think of mr. chedder and the like. they've carved out their own lane and the fans clearly don't mind in the same way i'll buy every new bad religion album despite knowing it's going to sound exactly like the last one.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:20 pm

I have a lot of respect for Pearl Jam even if I don’t pay that much attention to what they’ve been up to in a long time.

It definitely helps that they’ve achieved a level of success that gives them the freedom they have, but they could have easily packed it in a long time ago and been fine.

They can kinda just do what they want at this point and they have a core fan base that will follow them on that journey. Isn’t that what every musician wants?

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:41 pm

I liked Ten, last album of theirs I really enjoyed was Vitology. Didn’t mind a few other songs over the years, but never heard anything I’d go and buy.

Songs alright, but to me it’s like listening to a Foo Fighters or the newer Alice in Chains stuff, in one ear, out the other.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:14 pm

This is OK, not really a fan, but I'm sure many will like.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:07 pm

Finally got to listen to it.

First... I don't like how it was recorded... The guitars sound boxy. They're too forward and have no room. Even the solo sounds... Meh... Even if the playing is good, the sound is off.

Also... Ament is totally phoning it in, but that might be why I haven't liked much PJ after Vitalogy. Early PJ was more bass driven. Even when the bass followed the guitars it was still... Not just following... If that makes any sense at all. LOL

But, yeah, like s_mcsleazy said, there's no hook. It just kinda plods along.

And just for reference with the recording comments, I did throw on some old PJ for comparison and it just sounds better. And that's not just me being an old, grey-haired dude that's hating on new recordings. If you like heavier stuff, throw on some Periphery. That stuff is literally recorded (outside of the drums) in bandmembers' home studios and sound GREAT. There's room. Even when they're loud they're not fighting the loudness wars. They're just doing their thing.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:30 pm

sal paradise wrote:
They might also be the best live band ever, too.
Man, you aren't kidding. My wife and I got free tickets to see them about 10 years ago so we went as a lark, being the indie snobs that we are. And hot damn if it wasn't one of the best shows we've ever seen. Eddie Vedder was born to be the lead singer in a rock and roll band. The dude is charismatic as hell and his voice was just absolutely incredible that night. And Mike McCready! Fucking killer guitar player. The whole experience kind of spun my brain around with regards to how essential the live experience is to so many of these bands. I'll never say a bad word about Pearl Jam since that show. Now off to listen to that single...
Local milk person

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:44 pm

Dok wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:30 pm
sal paradise wrote:
They might also be the best live band ever, too.
Man, you aren't kidding. My wife and I got free tickets to see them about 10 years ago so we went as a lark, being the indie snobs that we are. And hot damn if it wasn't one of the best shows we've ever seen. Eddie Vedder was born to be the lead singer in a rock and roll band. The dude is charismatic as hell and his voice was just absolutely incredible that night. And Mike McCready! Fucking killer guitar player. The whole experience kind of spun my brain around with regards to how essential the live experience is to so many of these bands. I'll never say a bad word about Pearl Jam since that show. Now off to listen to that single...
Funnily enough, seeing them at Hitler’s amphitheatre in 2018 turned me onto their post-2000 output. It was an incredible show in the sunshine. With litre jugs of gin & tonic. God I love Germany.

I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:48 am

My favourite albums by them are No Code and Vitalogy. Don’t care much for anything else, including Ten and Vs.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.