The Daysleepers

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

The Daysleepers

Post by daydreamdelay » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:07 pm

Thought I'd post this for the shoegaze fans on the forum.. Tremolite and I know this band well but for anyone else who doesn't I'd like to introduce you to a fantastic group from my town called the Daysleepers, they're one of the top bands currently at it (imho) and have just released a beautiful new EP called the Soft Attack. JM's, Bass VI's, Electric XII, all heavily represented and while the Daysleeper's music is obviously influenced by the likes of the Cure, Cocteau Twins, and Slowdive their music sounds fresh and original.

samples can be found on their site..

http://www.thedaysleepers.com/

tremolite
Expat
Expat

Re: The Daysleepers

Post by tremolite » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:36 pm

Definitely one of the best, if not THE best US shoegazer act happening at the moment...in my opinion. Unlike many shoegazer acts, their drummer is excellent and Jeff, the guitarist/singer, has an excellent voice. Both of their EP's are highly recommended.
Pedal Pusher

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:37 am

I've heard a little of their stuff online .. need to get a CD actually.

Shoegaze bands really benefit from a good drummer, unless they're deliberately going the drum machine route.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:53 am

sounds really good, and a good drummer he is. although the drum sound is awful IMO.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:30 pm

I not normally a fan of that tight reverb heavy snare sound either, it's definitely an acquired taste and isn't exactly used sparingly with this group but I think for them it works.

tremolite
Expat
Expat

Post by tremolite » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:21 am

I agree on a general level with Justin that, typically, heavy reverb on drums is not desirable. However, I believe it's certainly an aesthetic many shoegazer acts take advantage of for better or worse. It fits The Daysleepers really well I think, especially because the specific intent behind that particular drum sound is evident. I was listening to Slowdive's "Just for a day" and "Souvlaki" this week and was amazed at how drenched in 'verb the drums are. Believe it or not getting the heavy reverb sound on drums in a recording situation is pretty difficult to do well. You have to completely deaden all the drums to the point that there's little tone left, then compress the hell out of them to get that tightness, and pretty much use signal processors to create the ambiance you want the drums to sit in. It all ends up kind of sounding like a drum machine but with a human playing the parts. It's a fun experiment to try, especially if you want the 80s new wave/synth pop sound.

Or the Luther Vandross Rn'B ballad sound...
:P
Pedal Pusher

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:50 am

While the songs sounded pretty good I think they've overdone the reverb all the way around.  It sounds a little lost to me, too hard to make out whats going on at any level.  Just my opinion of course.  I'd really like to hear what they sound like live.  I bet it's very different.

tremolite
Expat
Expat

Post by tremolite » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:41 am

When I got their EP "The Soft Attack" a couple of months ago, I played it on the house system at the bar I used to work at and it sounded like I was listening to it in a cave. It was a crazy sound, totally mesmerizing! It definitely doesn't sound like that in my car.
Pedal Pusher

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:03 pm

yeah I imagine the sound is a somewhat different live.. I'm looking forward to finding out  :)