Metal

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Green angel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Metal

Post by Green angel » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:16 pm

I sometime play Freack Kitchen, Nuno Bettencourt, RATM, Jason Becker...etc

I've got a Tonebone plexitube, no problem to obtain a metal sound with my Jazzmasters.
for example (even if the sound is awfull at the end):
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 37719D2980

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:42 am

I was looking through my CDs last night and remembered that I own Metallica's Master of Puppets, a bunch of Helmet (maybe a little more hardcore), a Thrice disc (screamo?), and pretty much every Faith No More and Mr. Bungle CD.  And Dave Grohl's Probot album.  The first half of high school I remember listening to a lot of Metallica, Pantera, Corrosion of Conformity, and probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting.  Headbanging will do that to you.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:00 am

my Jazzmaster often likes to play Motorhead and ,of course, Queens of the Stone Age and Back Sabbath stuff.. ;)
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

Ursoluno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursoluno » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:01 am

I'm very much into metal.  I have been for quite some time.

Nowadays, I'm more into the, for lack of a better term, "avant metal" groups.

Ugh.  I roll my eyes even typing that.

Basically, I'm speaking of Sunn0))), Boris, Unearthly Trance, Ocean, Dead Raven Choir...  Stuff that's a bit "out there," especially compared to mainstream metal.

The music I play isn't anything like it at all, really.  I do take quite a lot of inspiration from certain metal bands, though; especially in a sonic sense.  I've learned a lot about texture by listening to black metal.  Sunn0))) and Earth have been very important in the development of my musical "ear," especially.
...purple attics, purple helixes, vacuum cleaners, and cement.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:07 pm

I wasn't really a metal fan except for Ministry for a long time, until I discovered Pelican. And then I found Isis and I've been listening to them practically every day since.

I absolutely adore heavy, huge-sounding overdriven guitar so it makes sense that I always give metal bands a chance.  Isis.  Isis.  Isis.
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CaptainCrunch » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:12 pm

No love for Fu Manchu?

They get some rad metal sounds out of mongrel-ized Japanese Jags.
Stone Deaf In The U.S.A.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:44 pm

the angelic process, sabath, fu manchu, faith no more,soundgarden, the melvins,fudge tunnel,quicksand
Last edited by JazzBlaster on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:10 am

Never got metal myself. As a teenager I had about 6 different Iron Maiden posters on my wall but only cos I loved the artwork. I remember a friend arriving to school one day with a perm!! Funny stuff.

A few years later I ended up massively into Godflesh mind you, I guess that was a metal offshoot. I much preferred bands like Unsane, The Jesus Lizard, Therapy? Nirvana, The Loveblobs.

:) Punk > Metal  :)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:34 am

Sure, I like some metal in my listening diet. Always loved Sabbath, of course - who doesn't?

AC/DC, especially the Bon Scott era - I don't think anyone's mentioned them here yet. Between Malcolm's brilliantly tight rythym guitar and Angus's classic rock leads, there's everything you need to know about hard rocking heavy guitar music.

Apart from that: the brit metal from the 80s, like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, is always fun.

Metallica are great, especially Ride the Lightning & Master of Puppets.

Slayer's Reign in Blood album is pretty good.

I love Eddie Van Halen as a guitarist, though I always felt that the band's material was a little weak. Especially after Dave Lee Roth left. 

I like Cannibal Corpse, but that's mainly because I find the lyrics hilarious. Those guys crack me up. Death metal in general I find pretty samey, but I'm happy to hear it on occasion.

I'm sure I could think of more if I tried....
-=264=-

Naturality
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Naturality » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:36 am

I like a fair amount of metal. Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Metallica are some of the best bands on the planet

batchainpuller
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by batchainpuller » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:52 am

Don't subscribe to metal much; hardcore punk is more up my figurative alley..

Tweez
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweez » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:19 am

batchainpuller wrote: Don't subscribe to metal much; hardcore punk is more up my figurative alley..
Same here, although I like post-metal and some alternative metal (Helmet and Tool are two of my favourite bands).

Sebastian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sebastian » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:42 am

When I started playing guitar in 1997, one of my favourites was... Metallica. OK, their 80s stuff was good, but now...  :k :k

I still like Soundgarden and other grunge-era bands... Smashing Pumpkins, FNM... but is that metal? Hard Rock? Alternative Rock?

Since I started to experiment with electronic music, I rediscovered Rammstein. Their first two albums had some kind of metallic industrial vibe, their newer albums sound warmer and more organic, with orchestra arrangements replacing the synths more and more. And their live shows are great, with all the fire... ;)
"Es ist alles wieder offen" - Blixa Bargeld

Tweez
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweez » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:00 am

Sebastian wrote: When I started playing guitar in 1997, one of my favourites was... Metallica. OK, their 80s stuff was good, but now...  :k :k

I still like Soundgarden and other grunge-era bands... Smashing Pumpkins, FNM... but is that metal? Hard Rock? Alternative Rock?

Since I started to experiment with electronic music, I rediscovered Rammstein. Their first two albums had some kind of metallic industrial vibe, their newer albums sound warmer and more organic, with orchestra arrangements replacing the synths more and more. And their live shows are great, with all the fire... ;)
Faith No More are Funk Metal I guess, they're damn good nontheless, the Red Hot Chili Peppers owe almost everything to them in my eyes, despite being one of the worst bands ever to grace the earth.

Sebastian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sebastian » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:22 am

Tweez wrote:
Sebastian wrote: When I started playing guitar in 1997, one of my favourites was... Metallica. OK, their 80s stuff was good, but now...  :k :k

Faith No More are Funk Metal I guess, they're damn good nontheless, the Red Hot Chili Peppers owe almost everything to them in my eyes, despite being one of the worst bands ever to grace the earth.
OK, one of my all-time favourite bands are the RHCP, especially with John Frusciante...  :D I think FNM is more Avantgarde Rock, and RHCP more 70s FunkRock - whatever, both bands wrote great music. But Mike Patton is definitely a much better vocalist than Anthony Kiedis... although his Mr. Bungle/Fantomas/Peeping Tom escapades are hard stuff for me!  :)
"Es ist alles wieder offen" - Blixa Bargeld