Metal

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Metal

Post by blacktiger » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:51 am

I know that the offset world rarely meets the metal world, but I was just curious if any of you were closet headbangers.  I've been in a really metal mood for the last few months and am enjoying loads of Celtic Frost, High on Fire, Goatwhore, Slayer, Iron Maiden and, of course, Black Sabbath.
Thread killer

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Metal

Post by burker » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:18 am

Sometimes I play with this guy Frank, whos a crazy blackmetal drummer.....

not really what I'm used to but its interesting..

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:20 am

I got into Iron Maiden and Slayer for a while about a year ago.  I still try to figure out the "dug-a-dut, dug-a-dut" part of Raining Blood every once in a while... I'm not so great at that super fast palm muting stuff.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

serial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by serial » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:23 am

I was into some of the early metal in the late 70s/early 80s.  By 1982/83 I was over it and listening to "college radio" stuff, although I still dig some of what might be called metal.  Never got into the mid-late 80s Hair Metal silliness though.  By that point, as close as I came to that stuff was the Cult.

Jazzmasters aren't really cut out for Metallica-found that out last night-bar was on the slower side, so we were taking requests!
Destiny's in her evening gown; you're always running late.
You tell her she looks wonderful but she'll just have to wait.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:16 am

In practice, I guess the closest that offsets get to metal is the more rockin' side of Comets on Fire, which is more psych than metal.  If I was actually going to play metal I doubt I'd do it on my JM, though with the right amp and pedals I'd bet the JM could pull it off...
Thread killer

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:54 pm

Practically speaking it would be difficult to achieve the factors that metal guitarists seem to value .. very low action with narrow gauge strings, flat radius, chunky sound for palm-muting, heaps of sustain .. I guess you could get at least part-way there with a custom build using an aftermarket flat radius neck (+/- scalloping!), tune-o-matic and humbuckers ..

You could get sounds appropriate for most genres out of a JM I reckon .. rock/indie/noise as is, blues rock on the neck pickup, jazz on the neck pickup with the tone rolled off or on the rhythm circuit, country on the bridge pickup with a compressor .. but you'd be struggling to get metal I reckon .. then again I'm not, never wanted to be and never will be a metal guitarist, which is not to say I don't respect the ability needed to play that style.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:16 pm

I've always had a soft spot for metal...Maiden to Sepultura...Helmet...Deftones....Metallica....and Napalm Death! (I'm not joking - I even saw them live!)

:)
Resident Spartan.

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:42 pm

Chino Moreno of the deftones spotted playing a "Fender Jaguar baritone bass VI limited edition custom Baritone" in recent live photos...

He uses a tele and a vox combo with Team Sleep.
I prefer their older stuff.

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:41 pm

Not much of a true-definition metalhead, but I do like Hard Rock stuff a lot.  I'm primarily a Power Pop guy, but lean towards the heavier, guitar-driven stuff.  A little jangle is great, but I love pushing an amp into heavy overdrive.

Not saying I don't appreciate metal, and think that there are some guys who could pull it off on a Jazzmaster (J. Mascis could if he really wanted to!).

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:26 pm

My favorite metal band is The Fucking Champs.  I think the best way to describe them is indie inspired instrumental riff metal.  Good stuff for sure.

I also like a lot of 80's stuff like Slayer (Reign in Blood, South of Heaven), Maiden, Priest, Metallica (pre black album), some Megadeth stuff, LOVE Van Halen pre Hagar, and Ratt isn't bad from time to time.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:20 pm

zhivago wrote: I've always had a soft spot for metal...Maiden to Sepultura...Helmet...Deftones....Metallica....and Napalm Death! (I'm not joking - I even saw them live!)

same here... right around '88-'90 when I was young and still figuring out what I liked about music. some of my first gigs were metal and more specifically death metal as that was the big thing here at the time and my friends back then were a good deal older and into it. cannibal corpse, morbid angel, etc.. I laugh at it now, though there's a few songs I'll hear now and then like early Pantera, Sepultura, and Slayer that'll raise my ears when parked next to a metalhead at the traffic light

tremolite
Expat
Expat

Post by tremolite » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:04 pm

My friend Vern explains Iron Maiden like this: "It's like the sound of galloping horses." I like that description a lot.
I had this friend in high school who was a speed metal drummer. Double kick drum, a billion toms and the heaviest goddamn cymbals, Zildjian Z's. His playing was absolutely sick! I have absolutely no idea how people can play like that. We used to practice together quite a bit as I came from a jazz drumming background. I'd lay down a groove and he'd go bananas soloing on top of the groove I was laying down. Totally crazy shit! Plus we drank quite a bit of Mad Dog 20/20. Good times...
Pedal Pusher

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:43 am

i´ve never been a big fan of "pure" metal, but i´ve always loved bands like entombed, isis, unsane, neurosis etc. one my top ten bands of all time, breach, could also be described as some kind of metal, although mixed with a hefty amount of hardcore and rock´n roll.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:02 am

Jay wrote: My favorite metal band is The Fucking Champs.  I think the best way to describe them is indie inspired instrumental riff metal.  Good stuff for sure.
Yeah, The Fucking Champs.

Also: Early Man (Fight!Fight!).

Sabbath, of course.

When I'm in for a drink, that is.
Nobody exists on purpose.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:47 pm

zhivago wrote: I've always had a soft spot for metal...Maiden to Sepultura...Helmet...Deftones....Metallica....and Napalm Death! (I'm not joking - I even saw them live!)

+1, although with slightly different bands. I still listen to Sabbath, Metallica, Pantera, early Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, Soundgarden.

Paranoid, The "Black" Album, Vulgar Display of Power, Appetite For Destruction, Back in Black and Badmotorfinger are regular - and I do mean regular - appearances on my iPod.