Any thoughts on the new QOTSA album, and the band in general?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
welshywelsh
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any thoughts on the new QOTSA album, and the band in general?

Post by welshywelsh » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:38 am

Saw them at Cardiff Castle last week, absolutely incredible, such a tight band. Setlist was immense and they genuinely seemed happy to play such an interesting setting.

Judging by the TV coverage of Glastonbury, they carried that form through.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any thoughts on the new QOTSA album, and the band in general?

Post by X-Ray Spex » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:26 pm

I've always really liked QOTSA, I think it's because I was just the right age to get properly into them around when Songs For The Dead came out.

Their music was EVERYWHERE at the time, even in video games I spent a lot of time on, Need For Speed Underground 2 and Jak X

I like all their albums so far, I thought Villains was severely underrated and don't really get the hate, yeah it's poppier than I think anyone was expecting after Clockwork but considering the incredibly dark subject matter of Clockwork and concept album vibe it's not surprising the next album would be a bit more ''fun''.

My gripe with In Times New Roman is that a lot of the songs share really similar characteristics sonically and chordally-wise, I find it hard to tell them apart and struggled to get through the album because of it. The only song that really got me going was Time and Place because of it's jerky Misfit Love vibe.

Also lyrically Josh is clearly working through some stuff recently, which is not a bad thing but I find lyrically it could've been pared back a bit as it comes over as having nearly too much to say and ramming as many words into the spaces as possible.

I'm seeing them in November in Dublin so really looking forward to that, It'll be nearly 10 years exactly since I last saw them live.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen