Bands you discovered from movies/TV shows

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Bands you discovered from movies/TV shows

Post by RuffiansFC » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:53 am

who else has gotten into a band because of a song they heard from a TV show or movie? I know I have shazamed many songs, but the bands didn't really deliver like the song I heard.

One band that was different for me was Tricot, which is a Japanese mathrock group who did the theme for Tokyo Vampire Hotel on Amazon Prime (a decent one-off series if you dig Sion Sono's movies). I'm not a big math rock guy despite loving prog rock and jazz fusion, but the poppier melodies from Tricot really work well with what they do.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: Bands you discovered from movies/TV shows

Post by Maggieo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:32 am

Blonde Redhead from Me and You and Everyone We Know.

"Top Ranking"
Last edited by Maggieo on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:43 pm

There will surely come up more the longer I think about it... but the first thing I thought about was:
Kasabian - Julie and the Mothman https://youtu.be/6H5YZzPo01Y through the Jason Statham movie „Blitz!“
Sure, I heard about the band years ago, and yeah, maybe I even once listened to a song but I have forgotten about their existence ever since. Therefore a „new“ discovery for me! :)

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Do skate videos count? If so fIREHOSE from Tom Knox’s part in Speed Freaks (Santa Cruz).

Also, The Plugz from the Repo Man soundtrack.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:56 pm

Loads!

Yoko Kanno/The Seatbelts
Metric, Plumtree, Blood Red Shoes - all from Scott Pilgrim
first time I remember hearing RATM was THPS2
Fujiya and Miyagi from Breaking Bad

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:19 pm

I had never heard of The Creation until I saw Wes Anderson’s Rushmore in the theater in the late ‘90s. The sound system was really loud, and the scene where that dropped got me really hyped. I still love their shit today.

I’m hoping no one here is like “Oh, didn’t you hear, Eddie Phillips [insert unforgivable crime here]?” Get offa my cloud!

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:12 pm

King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:18 am

Soul Coughing, because they were playing in the background in an episode of the X-Files and I thought it sounded like Butthole Surfers at first.

When I was like 12 I found a ton of great music, but most notably Sonic Youth and Smashing Pumpkins through The Simpsons.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:22 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:44 pm
Do skate videos count? If so fIREHOSE from Tom Knox’s part in Speed Freaks (Santa Cruz).

Also, The Plugz from the Repo Man soundtrack.
Yessss, Repo Man. My brother let me watch that when I was 7 or 8 and it was the first time I ever perked up about music. Iggy, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Fear and the Plugz all became staples for me not long (relatively) after being exposed to them. I wore out the cassette of the soundtrack. The Plugz don’t get enough love for how good they were.

The other big one when I was young was Agent Orange on an old episode of 21 Jump Street. I found it online a while back and made my 8 year old watch it.

Other than that, I got into She Wants Revenge from American Horror Story, Sun Kil Moon from SOA and Kid Dakota from the movie Blunt Force Trauma.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:41 am

Ceylon wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:18 am
Soul Coughing, because they were playing in the background in an episode of the X-Files and I thought it sounded like Butthole Surfers at first.

When I was like 12 I found a ton of great music, but most notably Sonic Youth and Smashing Pumpkins through The Simpsons.
Man, I love Soul Coughing.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:40 am

Mike Krol off of steven universe on cartoon network
https://mikekrol.bandcamp.com/album/mik ... wo-records
i believe the first 3 songs are on an episode (it's poppy garage punk)
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

amplituden
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by amplituden » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:31 am

I remember as a kid hearing "Stigmata" by Ministry on Miami Vice. It took me maybe a year to figure out who sang the song. I think I even sang it to the guy at the record store but he didn't know. Eventually it came on "City Limits" which was Canada's sort of 120 Minutes type video show so I got that tape.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:22 pm

amplituden wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:31 am
I remember as a kid hearing "Stigmata" by Ministry on Miami Vice. It took me maybe a year to figure out who sang the song. I think I even sang it to the guy at the record store but he didn't know. Eventually it came on "City Limits" which was Canada's sort of 120 Minutes type video show so I got that tape.

City Limits was rough on my teenage bank account.

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:19 pm

Balthazar! their song "The Man Who Owns The Place" was the theme song for La Trêve Season 1. great band!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:18 am

I often wish they'd stop using the old random ipod feature on TV shows and motion pictures, I'd prefer a proper score and I can't recall anything I've not heard I'd want to hear if you know what I mean and the music is more likely to lead to a turn off than a turn on. I'm personally hoping that awful dad rock child on Big Little Lies has been sent away to boarding school.

The odd thing is well curated but by and large it's mince, phoned in, probably paid for and inexpert, IMO and all that.

I generally find regularr trips to a record shop is all you need to find all the music you'll ever need.

I recently had a hellish experience watching something where Lady S decided she liked some douchebag cock rawk paedo golden oldie ballad she'd somehow got through life not hearing (lucky her) and even bought it as a single seemingly just to annoy me. No joke that it's like the fucking tell tale heart and just fucking knowing it there in her personal record collection in another room is bothering me more than I'd ever admit*. She's been getting shit from the kids about it and some shade for what a fucking creep the singer of this band is, which is something of a silver lining but no matter it's still my fault.

After that I feel that watching any TV with songs in it is probably not worth the risk much like I avoid going to rival barons piles (aside froma few trusted cadres) and insist we entertain at ours because we're running out of 'we've been called away for an emergency jokers' (the emergency being their shite taste in music).

D

*the minute this dies down it's going away to live in a charity shop.
Are you loathsome tonight?