Oliver Cherer - I Feel Nothing Most Days (DuruttiThornWyattWattWeekendEnoFurniture)

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Oliver Cherer - I Feel Nothing Most Days (DuruttiThornWyattWattWeekendEnoFurniture)

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 21, 2019 6:35 am

I thought I'd share this lovely elpee. Apparently Oliver found some portastudio tapes he'd made in the 80's and decided to reapproach the songs and I love the results that conjure images of the desolate sodium light melancholy of the very early 80's when i used to sit on a secret bench with my friend and on/off girlfriend and listen to A Distant Shore on a crappy mono tape recorder (we were too poor for a Walkman or Ghetto Blaster :'( ).

There's something in the guitar chime, gaseous sax and maudlin vocals that takes me back to that time. It's a compliment that it could be a long lost record. I've played it 4 times in a row and Lady S has chosen this as her record this week.

Oliver Cherer - I Feel Nothing Most DaysOliver Cherer - I Feel Nothing Most Days

Tasting notes; Durutti Column*, Robert Wyatt, Maximum joy, Weekend and (YMG), Radio Dept., Once, mid 80's Eyeless in Gaza, Deux Filles, Furniture, Tracey Thorn's A Distant Shore (which was the first thing I ever played on guitar), Solo Ben Watt, Brian Eno (AGW), Felt (and Maurice Deebank ), Cherry Red.

If you like this go check out his other pen names; Australian Testing Labs, Gilroy Mere, Dollboy etc.

D

*Oliver had a loan of the Stratocaster Vini used around The Guitar and Other Machines (sounds like the wonderbar equipped cover guitar which according to Oliver has Dimarzio fat strat pickups and wiring that allows neck and bridge paired; source). Apparently it has a series of girls names and early 90's dates written on the back of the trem cavity cover :blush: )
Are you loathsome tonight?

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Oliver Cherer - I Feel Nothing Most Days (DuruttiThornWyattWattWeekendEnoFurniture)

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Thu May 23, 2019 3:18 pm

I think I'll enjoy this for a long while, thank you for the tip.
Mr. Cherer seems to be a man of many facets, I really liked the Australian Testing Lab album you posted way back, yet didn't look further.
Sinners of the world reminds me of Momus, of all things.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Oliver Cherer - I Feel Nothing Most Days (DuruttiThornWyattWattWeekendEnoFurniture)

Post by shadowplay » Fri May 24, 2019 1:03 am

aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:18 pm
I think I'll enjoy this for a long while, thank you for the tip.
Mr. Cherer seems to be a man of many facets, I really liked the Australian Testing Lab album you posted way back, yet didn't look further.
Sinners of the world reminds me of Momus, of all things.
Oh Momus is a good shout. I'm glad someone else likes this, I think he totally nails it.

Talented man with many arrows in his quivver and possibly an inspiration to those of us living in a world where the music we love is only really possible if you have a day job funding it and also those who aren't quite in the first flush of youth. I mean I think Oliver should probably sell enough records to live on comfortably based on the quality of the music but as you know quality counts for nothing in a world obsessed by novelty.

D

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Sat May 25, 2019 1:10 pm

Another bow of gratitude for the tip, this is particularly lovely.

Like aRoseisaRoseis, I'd enjoyed the Australian Testing Labs album when it was posted a ways back but never skipped my stone any further down the pond of Oliver's many projects. I look forward to diving in more deeply!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:20 am

nanamour wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 1:10 pm
Another bow of gratitude for the tip, this is particularly lovely.

Like aRoseisaRoseis, I'd enjoyed the Australian Testing Labs album when it was posted a ways back but never skipped my stone any further down the pond of Oliver's many projects. I look forward to diving in more deeply!
I went back to the The Myth of Violet Meek* in the light of this record. I wasn't super taken with it's baroque folkisms (even as one who likes baroque folk) when I bought it but I've gotten into it even if it's not as perfect as I Feel Nothing These Days.

*based on this horrific Brexitastic tale regardless of your take on the cruelty of having dancing bears in the first place.

D

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:53 pm

Listening now, I bought The Green Line recently and it's a lovely little gem of a record.

[edit] "An Unfamiliar Kitchen" is fantastic, a perfectly formed tiny low-key mystery thriller.

shadowplay wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:20 am
I went back to the The Myth of Violet Meek* in the light of this record.
Looks interesting, I like the idea of a West Midlands folk label, my wife's family are from that area.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.