Maria Somerville - All My People

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Maria Somerville - All My People

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 14, 2019 3:43 am

Just a quick one to recommend this beautiful album by this Irish artist. It's gorgeous diaphanous glow songwriting is bewitching, all drone shivers and haunted spaces.

Maria Somerville - All My People sold out at source but has distribution and I can see some at Juno and Norman.

and a video; Maria Somerville - Eyes Don't Say It maximum swoon...

Tasting notes; Grouper, Julia Holter, Mazzy Star, Carla Dal Forno, Jessica Bailiff (you could have seen her on Kranky a while back), Julie Cruise, Penelope Trappes, Marissa Nadler, AC Marias, Windy & Carl, A Distant Shore heard through a haunted mirror...
Maria Somerville draws on folk forms alongside post-punk, traditional Irish motifs, starry eyed pop and hypnotic drones to create wholly original music that is borne of her roots in Connemara, Western Ireland.

All My People (self-released on 1 March and distributed by Rush Hour), channels the wilderness of the Irish landscape through dense, ethereal soundscapes, bare boned percussion and a heady electronic undertow, interspersed with ghostly vocals that are ever present and all encompassing, like crystalline glints of sunshine peeking through dark stormy clouds.
D
Are you loathsome tonight?