Post/Ambient Rock alt tunings? ala Hammock etc

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post/Ambient Rock alt tunings? ala Hammock etc

Post by Amber » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:53 pm

Looking for some inspiration tuning wise.

Been a while since I explored them. Really looking for the sort of alt tunings that make stuff like Hammock, Caspian intuitive and inspiring to write, nice open strings, maybe wide voicings avoiding the 5th etc...

Any suggestions folks?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: Post/Ambient Rock alt tunings? ala Hammock etc

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:23 pm

I don’t know Hammock, but these are two that I used.

E-Sus tuning ( E-B-E-A-B-E ) it doesn’t avoid the 5th like you wanted, but it does Sonic Youth/MBVb style octaves and 5ths voicing easily. Plus the B-E-A strings keep traditional melodic spacing so you don’t have to relearn the whole guitar.

A tuning (E-A-E-A-C#-E) this is just the classic G tuning up a step. It sounds happier and brighter than G, like Marr tuning up to F# to add chime to Smiths tunes. Slide guitar and Keef riffs are easy, but sound different. Put a capo on the first fret and you can do horn keys or Robert Johnson. Again there is traditional melodic spacing on the E-A-C# strings. MBV type voicing here as well.

A friend used Dm7 exclusively. There are a couple of ways to do it. His was D-A-F-D-A-D, but it’s usually D-A-D-F-A-D. I’ve seen D-A-F-A-A-D and F-A-D-F-A-D as variations.

G-D-G-G-B-E is one I’ve seen but never tried. Power chords, octaves, melodic spacing on the high strings. Seems like Sonic Youth or Swervedriver type sounds would work.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:18 pm

I generally aim for unison strings. After sonic youth, and i guess kevin shields. But not, they are quite versatile.
so EADGGG would be a basic one, or go further and just do GGGGGG. Often purposely detuning a few.
Some cool qualities, playing chords for clustery ambience. A 'natural chorus' on leads. Or the ability to let piano type melodies ring out if you fret notes near eachother.

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:23 pm

Back even further is the Velvet Underground's ostrich tuning. All string tuned to one note. Can be pretty interesting.
We are merely moving shadows.

Misc.Vision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Misc.Vision » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:56 am

My 12 string usually stays in dropped C (CGCFAD) or an open C variant (CGCEGC). Both of this sound great with six strings as well, lots of tonal inspiration.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus