Folk of a certain variety

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Folk of a certain variety

Post by DesmondWafers » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:08 pm

What I thought was a small break from electric guitar has become a rather significant hiatus and I’ve found myself listening to more and more folk-ish music. I was always a fan of certain usual suspects, especially from a more “singer-songwriter” variety, but was also a fan of guys like Fahey. On revisiting Fahey, I found Robbie Basho (and subsequently James Blackshaw) and he’s completely blown me away, particularly his vocal stuff. I know there are plenty of people on here who are experts in folk, so any recommendations would be appreciated. I would consider myself relatively knowledgeable so I’m definitely looking for stuff less along the beaten path. Not necessarily related to those three guitarists (or even guitarists), but in a similar vein.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Folk of a certain variety

Post by shadowplay » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:40 am

All folk who are still making music.
Sorry I've no time at the moment to annotate these but hopefully here's something there you don't know and is of use.

Seabuckthorn

Jim Ghedi

Dean Mcphee

Michael Tanner/Plinth

Sharron Kraus

Lisa Knapp

Oliver Cherer/Dollboy - I really like ]Rites and Rituals and The Myth of Violet Meek

Though his true wonder for me is not folk; Australian Testing Labs Inc. - Music For Aircooled Motoring

A slight swerve...a lot of Hampshire and Foat might float your folk boat, it's jazzy and library but lots of folk influence. I made a thread

you might find something in a fairly obvious this list I made in another thread

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:53 am

DesmondWafers wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:08 pm
What I thought was a small break from electric guitar has become a rather significant hiatus and I’ve found myself listening to more and more folk-ish music.
I'll be looking at this thread a bit, since I guess I am on a similar hiatus, a not uncommon thing with me. I am very glad that I have been investing in acoustic guitars and every night after the kids go to bed I get to play a lot, it's becoming very rewarding.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:44 am

The Memory Band were supposed to be in my initial post but I forgot as was David Jaycock.

If you want to go into a total other folk world you MUST listen to Fovea Hex, who are out with the tarot cards while other felt hatted folkies are messing around playing snap. They are pretty much the nearest folk star to Coil.

D

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:13 am

Thank you for the recommendations, that'll last me quite a while to work through. If the first Seabuckthorn album is any indication, I should love the rest because that's exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for.

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:19 am

And to Larry - It's funny, I'm in a similar situation (I think). I don't have a wife or kids, but initially I started playing acoustic more for volume reasons, but everything seems to have clicked into place since then.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:16 am

There's always been long stretches of time where I greatly prefer playing acoustic guitar, I seem to be in one of them now.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:23 pm

DesmondWafers wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:13 am
Thank you for the recommendations, that'll last me quite a while to work through. If the first Seabuckthorn album is any indication, I should love the rest because that's exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for.
Seabuckthorn is great and very much in the same sound world as some Blackshaw.

I was hoping to see some more participation in this thread and perhaps learn a few things. I think we are missing Mijmog/Joe quite a bit around here recently.

I'm essentially an acoustic guitarist these days and most all my time on the guitar is spent fingerpicking (and singing) my way through Rouds and Child Ballads.

D

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:20 am

So this is very much my jam. You mentioned wanting to explore people more off the beaten path, but I just want to check which paths you've been down.

Have you listened to much of Leo Kottke's stuff? In certain folk circles he's one of those "of COURSE I listen to Leo" artists but he's my favourite guitarist of all time and I don't think there's an album or track he's recorded that I don't know inside-out. If you haven't gotten into him, I'm happy to get into specific album recommendations, but if you're rolling your eyes and saying, "I said OFF the beaten path" then I can suggest others.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:13 am

Btw if you are curious about folk influenced music without guitars (but still conventional instruments) and feel it might inspire in another way or just like great music check out All Is Quiet At The Ancient Theatre by Alison Cotton (of the Left Outsides). Such a beautiful, elegiac and ethereal record that sounds both ancient and modern.

All Is Quiet At The Ancient Theatre

D

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:55 am

No guitars = no problem. It's very refreshing listening to a lot of this music because I hear it and think "I want to be able to play that", whereas I enjoy a lot of "electric guitar music" (whatever that means) but am rarely inspired to play it. I know your opinions on the usefulness of mechanical skill in music and for the most part agree, but I think there's something to be said when technical mastery is used for the song rather than the ego.

As for Leo Kottke: I listened to his debut a long time ago and it did nothing for me, unfortunately. I don't know why, I think it's because the songs lack some of that mysticism that Basho and Fahey have, but I'd give him another go if you've got some recommendations.

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:05 am

I cannot recommend Zachary Cale enough. He‘s brilliant!

https://youtu.be/0wmR0o3sj2c
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:26 pm

DesmondWafers wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:55 am
No guitars = no problem. It's very refreshing listening to a lot of this music because I hear it and think "I want to be able to play that", whereas I enjoy a lot of "electric guitar music" (whatever that means) but am rarely inspired to play it. I know your opinions on the usefulness of mechanical skill in music and for the most part agree, but I think there's something to be said when technical mastery is used for the song rather than the ego.

I tend to find folkies wear virtuosity more lightly and certainly dont feel the need to turn their hose up full on every song, while your typical rawk pig is in your face skeewiddling all the fucking time and generally as welcome as a racist in my living room.

A one off isolated track that I've been digging out again and again lately is
Danielle Dax - Numb Companions (off the Janice Long Session 12", the original on Pop Eyes isn't quite as good IMO). You'd never really think of Danielle as a folk musician but this just has ancient depth. There's a cool live version on yootoob too.

D

slopoke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by slopoke » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:51 pm