Ryan Adams, amirite?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Ryan Adams, amirite?

Post by panoramic » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:43 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:41 am
Probably nothing, but it seemed like there was a dearth of new subject matter, so I thought to do what I could.
he was alright in that whiskeytown band or whatever, i would wager he was probably a dick to the women he dated then as well though.
*SHRUGS*
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

Musjagjazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Musjagjazz » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:56 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:27 am

Not really unlike grunge, you went from Nirvana that was fun and great to Pearl Jam that was dull and lackluster and then the bottom of the bucket dropped out before you knew it and you were inflicted with Stone Temple Pilots and god help you Silverchair.
Even though bands like the Stone Pimple Toilets became popular, what was worse was just lurking around the corner... the emergence of the Boy band era & American Idle type shows. The horror.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:02 am

See, Pano? We got ourselves a conversation now!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:46 am

Stone Temple Pilots’’Tiny Music.. Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop” is one of the best albums of the nineties.
Weiland was often a turd, but nothing can kill those guitar riffs and bass lines for me!
Great musicians, the Deleo brothers.

Edit: I’ve never heard Ryan Adams before. I don’t know how, just never did.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:26 am

Well, he's terrible- very boring.

He also has a terrible habit of rewriting classic rock songs like this much derided remake of the Grateful Dead's "Truckin'", itself a very lame song.

I mean, Ryan Adams is what he is... I would probably not care so much about him except some of my friends would play his music often and I would have to hear it. He's the sort of artist that, had I never heard his music, I probably wouldn't hate it.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:39 pm

Using anything from 29 is a cheap shot, though. That is arguably his worst album. I love his music, but I guess it's all subjective. And Alt Country, along with all of its offshoots, is quite possibly my favorite area of music.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:42 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:39 pm
Using anything from 29 is a cheap shot, though. That is arguably his worst album. I love his music, but I guess it's all subjective. And Alt Country, along with all of its offshoots, is quite possibly my favorite area of music.
Why's that a cheap shot?

I mean, he made it and released it, put his name to it. It's not fair to call him out for making shitty music by citing that very same shitty music?

If you take a shit at the bar and don't flush, and write a note on the toilet with your name on it claiming your crime, you don't get to cry foul when they bring that up as they show you the door.
This is an excellent rectangle

Misc.Vision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Misc.Vision » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:48 am

That guy is the biggest poser pedophile out there, a walking turd. I mean, just a total fucking shit stain. His music is crap too. It would be nice if he were to, I don't know, get into some legal trouble because of this. A novel idea, I know. I hope he gets fatter and fades away. Motherfucker gives Jazzmasters a bad name.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... am-861600/
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:07 am

I'd kind of forgotten about this thread, and didn't really think there was much else to say about it, but reading that word salad that he posted made me dizzy. What does any of this mean?

"Believe Women.
Believe Truth.
But never give up on being part of solutions, and healing.
I’ve lost friends who have passed away in this time of self reflection and silence. I can’t be like that. There’s been too much that mattered. "

What does that mean? Can anyone parse that shit?

What it says to me is that he emphatically doesn't want anyone to think he's other than a nice and progressive guy no matter what anyone else alleges about him but can't actually articulate that since it would contradict his image of himself- you know, Ryan Adams can't just be like "fuck these bitches" or something. Then he doesn't get to be a crunchy, feeling progressive.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:40 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:07 am
I'd kind of forgotten about this thread, and didn't really think there was much else to say about it, but reading that word salad that he posted made me dizzy. What does any of this mean?

"Believe Women.
Believe Truth.
But never give up on being part of solutions, and healing.
I’ve lost friends who have passed away in this time of self reflection and silence. I can’t be like that. There’s been too much that mattered. "

What does that mean? Can anyone parse that shit?

What it says to me is that he emphatically doesn't want anyone to think he's other than a nice and progressive guy no matter what anyone else alleges about him but can't actually articulate that since it would contradict his image of himself- you know, Ryan Adams can't just be like "fuck these bitches" or something. Then he doesn't get to be a crunchy, feeling progressive.
it means "believe women, except the ones who accused me."
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:06 am

jakeisjake wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:40 am

it means "believe women, except the ones who accused me."
That's what I get out of it. What an asshole.

Misc.Vision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Misc.Vision » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:11 am

It means, "I'm losing my god damned mind, but don't worry, I have a lot more shitty music in the works that you can give me money to hear. Oh, and don't worry about all those rumors about me. You can't believe everything you read. I'm hurting too."
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Trout » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:24 am

Couldn’t find the instagram posts that was mentioned by RS article. Seems his instagram has been ”cleaned”, 39 posts since that article in RS but all about cats and other stuff

Ohhh found it. But still only 39 posts
#sitdownrock at https://staffanandersson.bandcamp.com/album/det-hemliga-namnet

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:36 pm

My buds back in the late ‘80s woulda just shouted “doooooosh!”, and I would agree with them.