Failure AND Swervedriver 2019 Tour announced

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Failure AND Swervedriver 2019 Tour announced

Post by smjenkins » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:31 am

Sweet! It will be good to see you at the show. I've never listened to Failure. I've got a month or so to fix that. :)

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:42 am

smjenkins wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:31 am
Sweet! It will be good to see you at the show. I've never listened to Failure. I've got a month or so to fix that. :)
Fantastic Planet, from '96, is my favourite album of theirs. Their new album, In The Future Your Body Will Be The Furthest Thing From Your Mind, is super solid and I'd expect them to be featuring it heavily so give that a go. If you could only listen to two albums, those would be my suggestions.

They're rather different bands, and I'm so happy they're on the same ticket, but I might actually be a bit more excited to see Failure (which I expect is probably a contrast with most OSGers). They've always had a penchant for polyphonic basslines which are pretty much my favourite thing ever. Listen to Saturday Savior and Dark Speed, from the two albums referenced above, for examples of this.

Having said that, I'm still stoked to see Swervedriver. I've never had the chance to see either band live before.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:20 am

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:42 am
smjenkins wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:31 am
Fantastic Planet, from '96, is my favourite album of theirs. Their new album, In The Future Your Body Will Be The Furthest Thing From Your Mind, is super solid and I'd expect them to be featuring it heavily so give that a go. If you could only listen to two albums, those would be my suggestions.

They're rather different bands, and I'm so happy they're on the same ticket, but I might actually be a bit more excited to see Failure (which I expect is probably a contrast with most OSGers). They've always had a penchant for polyphonic basslines which are pretty much my favourite thing ever. Listen to Saturday Savior and Dark Speed, from the two albums referenced above, for examples of this.

Having said that, I'm still stoked to see Swervedriver. I've never had the chance to see either band live before.
Awesome. Thank you for the roadmap.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:16 am

Since we're on a guitar forum, I figure I'd point out Failure shows are bleeding edge tech. No amps on stage, and last time I saw them there were iPads all over the place controlling god knows what. I saw them touring behind "The Heart Is A Monster" and it was one of the best live sounds I've heard out of band. And if you're willing to pony up, they offer a VIP behind-the-scenes tour where they show you how all the gear works.

beauzooka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beauzooka » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:10 am

burpgun wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:16 am
Since we're on a guitar forum, I figure I'd point out Failure shows are bleeding edge tech. No amps on stage, and last time I saw them there were iPads all over the place controlling god knows what. I saw them touring behind "The Heart Is A Monster" and it was one of the best live sounds I've heard out of band. And if you're willing to pony up, they offer a VIP behind-the-scenes tour where they show you how all the gear works.
Here's a video of Ken explaining how their whole live rig works:

https://youtu.be/QlX5axdebBY

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:56 pm

The Failure show at Warsaw was very good. I was running late and missed most of the Swervedriver set. Not familiar with them at all so I don’t know if that was a mistake.

Failure were super tight. They sounded excellent and that’s not always the case at Warsaw, which is an unforgiving room. Failure had no visible speakers on stage, they don’t even seem to have those giant Sunn cabs up there for reference for all their Fractal gear.

I’ve seen Failure twice now and here’s what I don’t get. They tour in a huge bus, they’ve got a super professional looking crew helping them set up. The light show last night was top tier. But Warsaw isn’t a big venue, maybe a thousand max but probably less. The show didn’t sell out. Last time I saw them was Brooklyn Bowl, and that place isn’t huge either. Failure is a cult band and the last record got very little press from what I could find. What I’m saying is, I’m having a hard time squaring the level of the production with the size of the venues. Good on them if they’re making money, I just wonder how it works.

beauzooka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beauzooka » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:20 pm

Premier Guitar just did a brand new 2019 Rig Rundown with Ken.
Almost fully Fractal again - the only pedals mentioned were DOD Freqout (for feedback), TC Mimiq & the EQD Rainbow Machine. He's playing his EGC sig guitar with the piezo.
At around 22:00 he plays a few of his heavily layered patches that sound great with headphones:

https://youtu.be/0l4hnuoMoBM

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:54 am

The Fractal set up looks pretty damn magical. Any type of amp you want, set up how you want, at any volume you want, without dragging a tone of gear around, is really appealing to me. I have to do amp sims to record already because of the neighbors. I don't think I'll ever be able to justify the money a Fractal costs, but I fully see the appeal and wonder if in 20 years, stuff like this will become the standard.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:48 pm

burpgun wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:54 am
The Fractal set up looks pretty damn magical. Any type of amp you want, set up how you want, at any volume you want, without dragging a tone of gear around, is really appealing to me. I have to do amp sims to record already because of the neighbors. I don't think I'll ever be able to justify the money a Fractal costs, but I fully see the appeal and wonder if in 20 years, stuff like this will become the standard.

The Fractal AX8 drops to $1100 or so on sale sometimes. Not cheap by any stretch but not ridiculous considering that it gets most jobs done compared to the Axe III which runs $2500+ with a foot controller (but has way more flexible signal routing and dual-amp capabilities).

I got into the Kemper about 3 years ago and then into the AX8 from there. A dream pedalboard with a dream collection of amps that really do feel and interact as satisfyingly as my tube amps did.

Anyway, I mostly wanted to say that the AX8 cuts the cost barrier to entry by about 60% compared to the full-fledged rack solution and is an extremely convenient format. I'm still just getting to know mine but am in love.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:07 pm

beauzooka wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:20 pm
Premier Guitar just did a brand new 2019 Rig Rundown with Ken.
Almost fully Fractal again - the only pedals mentioned were DOD Freqout (for feedback), TC Mimiq & the EQD Rainbow Machine. He's playing his EGC sig guitar with the piezo.
At around 22:00 he plays a few of his heavily layered patches that sound great with headphones:

https://youtu.be/0l4hnuoMoBM
I watched this, and I have to admit the piezo sounds pretty good.

I suppose there's a lot to be said for being able to nail exact sounds night after night regardless of venue. As a musician it has to make it easier to deliver good performances, especially singing.

But as a music fan, meh.

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:38 pm

I caught Swervedriver in Toronto last week. They sounded great, as usually. Louder than they have been since the 90’s

I’ll admit I left after they were done. Failure aren’t my thing.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:38 am

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:48 pm
burpgun wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:54 am

The Fractal AX8 drops to $1100 or so on sale sometimes. Not cheap by any stretch but not ridiculous considering that it gets most jobs done compared to the Axe III which runs $2500+ with a foot controller (but has way more flexible signal routing and dual-amp capabilities).

I got into the Kemper about 3 years ago and then into the AX8 from there. A dream pedalboard with a dream collection of amps that really do feel and interact as satisfyingly as my tube amps did.

Anyway, I mostly wanted to say that the AX8 cuts the cost barrier to entry by about 60% compared to the full-fledged rack solution and is an extremely convenient format. I'm still just getting to know mine but am in love.
Oh god, I didn't even know they had a "budget" model. I'd been looking at the HX Stomp and that's half the way there price wise. I switch between guitar, Bass VI and normal bass a lot, it would be so good just to run one set up.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:56 am

burpgun wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:38 am

Oh god, I didn't even know they had a "budget" model. I'd been looking at the HX Stomp and that's half the way there price wise. I switch between guitar, Bass VI and normal bass a lot, it would be so good just to run one set up.
The AX8 is fully programmable from the hardware floor unit if desired and is more like the full fledged Helix that way (just no built in expression pedal).

I also switch between guitar, Bass VI and regular bass a lot and that is exactly why I got the AX8. AX8-->PA and my setup is done. Haven't used my pedalboard in 4 years but haven't let it go yet for sentimental reasons. Sold my last "real" amp 3 years ago.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:12 pm

I figure if I got something like an AX8 it would be the last thing in my chain. I've got a big pedal board with some odd balls in it, like an EHX SuperEgo, a Meris Enzo and a Red Panda Particle. I mostly record now but my having some sort of flat response powered speaker setup fed by my pedals and an AX8 would be a dream for live work if I can drag my old bones back to that world. I'd be able to shift to whatever instrument I wanted to play, and that's super appealing. I might even be able to defray the cost by selling stuff like my Strymon El Capistan, which I figure would be redundant in this setup.

I'll admit the HX Stomp looks pretty good, but I have an M13 and the build quality on that thing was an issue. Some of the little display screens weren't installed perfectly straight, and while that's cosmetic, it did suggest a lack of attention to quality. Also, I've never really used the M13 that much, and some of the foot switches have issues now. You remember stuff like that about a company.

dadsoda
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dadsoda » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:24 pm

Got to open for them in Phoenix! 8)