an engineering marvel

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

an engineering marvel

Post by jakeisjake » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:34 am

this may not be your cup of tea...but i think it's pretty incredible.

it's a great song to begin with...beautiful melody, poignant lyrics, sweet accompaniment...it's all there.

but somehow, the recording engineers seamlessly weave a couple of dozen different performers into one cohesive whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-voI8q4j87U
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: an engineering marvel

Post by scottT » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:38 am

It's funny but I know nothing about the Grateful Dead besides Truckin, but my first impression was this sounds like Dead music. That was a neat concept and well done keeping the consistency from band to band and location to location. It would probably be even more impressive if I were aware of the original, but anyone can see it was an ambitious project.

Interesting story...but I see Jake Peavy is in there. He is a Major League pitcher who won a Cy Young with the Padres and was part of the S.F Giants 2014 World Series run. He's a real character on the mound, showing his emotions on his sleeve. Anyway, he's run into some hardship. He lost millions in a fraudulent financial scheme, then his wife divorced him. It came out that he was pitching through some real personal pain. I believe Giants third base coach and personal friend Tim Flannery was huge in helping him tap into the healing power of music. Flannery (now retired from baseball) is himself a touring singer/songwriter in the style of Americana which appears to sit comfortably with the Dead culture. Indeed, Flannery frequently appears with Bob Weir, even sometimes doing a cappella versions of the Star Spangled Banner at Giants ballgames with Phil Lesh in there as well.

I like roots music--country, blues, bluegrass, old-timey, folk, etc...just not the stew that alot of people make out of it. I envy people that can get into that quasi hippy, earth mother, tie dyed amalgamation of Americana, because it looks like they find such joy in that scene. For Peavy, I'm sure it has been a salvation. I hear him say "I need a miracle every day", so I know he's really into it and the whole philosophy of life all that goes with it.

Are you a Dead Head, Jake? It's o.k. You can tell us. You're among friends.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:47 pm

that's a neat story. i knew that name...jake peavey...that's pretty cool.

music (and particularly the Good Ol' Grateful Dead) can be healing. my soul has been healed many times in a good 20 minute jam.

yes, i've been a DeadHead since i was 10 years old sneaking into my brother's room to listen to Europe 72 on the 8 track player.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:50 pm