There's a new Ike Yard elpee out!!!

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

There's a new Ike Yard elpee out!!!

Post by shadowplay » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:35 am

Last ever album introduction or genre guide for me, I think this has run it's course and it's not really worth the time, so I thank you for your past interest and now cede the floor to the OSG young team.

New Ike Yard album out this month called Rejoy and like the 12' from earlier this year 'Sacred Machine' it's getting a lot of play at the cursed house of Shadowplay, some 37 years after I first heard Ike Yard some time in 1981. IMO no American post punk band can hold a candle to Ike Yard and the Night after Night 12' and Ike Yard are just stone classics that have cast deep shadows in my life and I think in the lives of many since I hear their influence in everyone from Grebenstein to Powell to to Silent Servant to The KVB to Tropic of Cancer.

The new record seems to feed a flavour of recent Stuart Argabright project Black Rain into the Ike Yard sound and while it's early days, it might be a notch above the first comeback elpee NORD.

Rejoy seems a really New York album with it's bustling Suicide referencing track 72 Demons, an overall pawl of shunting environmental claustrophobia and the closing tracks with elements that reminds me of the early 80's eastercisms of Richard Horowitz and even if we loop back to Sacred Machine 12' a cameo from legendary New York scenster Erika Belle. I say this even if Ike Yard always seemed to me like an orphan European band with more in common with Cabaret Voltaire and other Euro bands seeking to cordon off the the rock and the track Salt really seems to have something of the flavour of Shoc Corridor or even Floorshow :ph34r: viewed trough a thick fug of dry ice.

And here's the thing...we need to applaud artists willing to step outside the nostalgia tour circuit and put out new music and not end up their own (and IMO rather sad) vaudeville tribute act.

Ike Yard - Rejoy Full Bandcamp stream

Ike Yard - Sacred Machine with cracking Tropic of Cancer collab

If you are three minute hero with time for only one track have peek at;Ike Yard - Ikimono Gitari which is probably the most Ike Yardy track.

Thankyou for listening over the years. :-*

Argh I just realised there was an old Ike Yard thread but never mind...

D

*Argabright wasn't just bringing shade to khol eyed dancefloors he also brought the Disko with the electro classic Dominatrix Sleeps Tonight

He's well worth running down on discogs if you can be bothered

o13 (with ex early Live Skull Mark C)

Black Swords (Black Rain + Orphan swords)

Btw if you don't know them check out the remixes Desire records commissioned back when they reissued the first album from amazing artists like Regis, Monoton, Tropic of Cancer. Vessel, Powell etc.
Are you loathsome tonight?

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: There's a new Ike Yard elpee out!!!

Post by NickD » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:58 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:35 am
Last ever album introduction or genre guide for me, I think this has run it's course and it's not really worth the time, so I thank you for your past interest and now cede the floor to the OSG young team.
That would be a shame, they have been greatly appreciated and the source of more than a few purchases. My posting is infrequent at the moment as it's phone only, but that doesn't mean your posts aren't read. Albeit I'm not buying records right now because of a massive vet's bill, but that will change.

I'm sure that plenty of others feel the same.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:27 am

NickD wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:58 am
shadowplay wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:35 am
That would be a shame, they have been greatly appreciated and the source of more than a few purchases. My posting is infrequent at the moment as it's phone only, but that doesn't mean your posts aren't read. Albeit I'm not buying records right now because of a massive vet's bill, but that will change.

I'm sure that plenty of others feel the same.
I'm not in a huff or anything, or fishing for compliments, it's not OSG it's me admitting I can no longer read the room as it is currently. At the weekend I was tapping away while they were watching something and I was asked by Mrs S (who is far more sensible and pragmatic than me) what I was up to and I told her I was doing a guide to minimal synth, synthpop and related industrial (and thereafter intending to post new records of that stripe) I'd promised a member here a while ago (who probably isn't around anymore) and had forgotten about and she asked me if anyone ever replied and once I'd actually told her that it hadn't happened much or at all recently she convinced me that I must look like a mental posting records absolutely no one is interested in ( :-[ )*. Since I never listen I then decided to do the Ike Yard album and halfway through I came to the realisation that she was right and so that's that, at least for the forseeable future, though I guess I'll still post stuff in Songoftheday.

Really sorry to hear about your cat and the bills, it's truly misery on misery. My girls tell me the bill thing is one of the hardest parts of being a vet, it really weighs on the vet when they see the financial agony some people are going through purely because they love their animal enough to get it treated properly.

D

*trots out that old; The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results' quote

Fuzzbuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fuzzbuzz » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:38 am

12’?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:51 am

Fuzzbuzz wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:38 am
12’?
12 inch single.

Your gif of someone making stonehenge out of cushions is right over my head.

D

Fuzzbuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fuzzbuzz » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:02 am

12’ = 12 Foot
12” = 12 Inch
11’ difference.

Stonehenge = one of the most classic “ to ‘ catastrophe’s known to rock n roll. /s

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:13 am

Fuzzbuzz wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:02 am
12’ = 12 Foot
12” = 12 Inch
11’ difference.

Stonehenge = one of the most classic “ to ‘ catastrophe’s known to rock n roll. /s
Fine 12”, the ‘ is just nearer my pinkie.

Though if that’s what you get from this thread I guess it’s one more reason to stop doing them.

I’ve never seen Spinal Tap, a parody of something I can’t stand is still too much of something I can’t stand.

D

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:15 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:27 am
I'm not in a huff or anything, or fishing for compliments, it's not OSG it's me admitting I can no longer read the room as it is currently. At the weekend I was tapping away while they were watching something and I was asked by Mrs S (who is far more sensible and pragmatic than me) what I was up to and I told her I was doing a guide to minimal synth, synthpop and related industrial (and thereafter intending to post new records of that stripe) I'd promised a member here a while ago (who probably isn't around anymore) and had forgotten about and she asked me if anyone ever replied and once I'd actually told her that it hadn't happened much or at all recently she convinced me that I must look like a mental posting records absolutely no one is interested in ( :-[ )*. Since I never listen I then decided to do the Ike Yard album and halfway through I came to the realisation that she was right and so that's that, at least for the forseeable future, though I guess I'll still post stuff in Songoftheday.
I understand your and Mrs. S's sentiments completely, I can see how it must feel like a total time sink--like shouting into the vacuum of space--when responses are often nil or a few +1's at best. There are at least a fair few folks around here who get a lot out of your album/artist intro posts and comprehensive genre guides; they're one of my favorite things about this site and a Shadowplay new record thread is always an instant gravitator, like a favorite column in a newspaper or magazine.

These threads have instigated a fair few (probably a whole shelf) purchases of mine, even in the midst of some pretty extreme student austerity measures--most recently the new Domenique Dumont record which I had to literally forgo a couple meals to pick up but has been well worth it for the tropical glow it's brought to autumn. Even if I don't care for a particular album enough to lay down cold hard cash or even commit a serious listen, I always enjoy the prose, humor, and connections/collabs/remixes I was totally unaware of or never would have thought to make that these record writeup threads are always chock full of.

Like NickD I don't always have as much time to ping back on these threads as often or in as much depth as I'd like to, but that certainly doesn't mean they're not being read and enjoyed--I just try to abstain from carpet bombing the music section with +1's.

Anyway, I'm a passive Ike Yard fan and had no idea this (or the 12) was out; the Tropic of Cancer collab sounds especially enticing, my mind's already swirling with ideas of what that must sound like. I'll give the new LP listen after work and report back!

Fuzzbuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fuzzbuzz » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:52 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:13 am
Fuzzbuzz wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:02 am
12’ = 12 Foot
12” = 12 Inch
11’ difference.

Fine 12”, the ‘ is just nearer my pinkie.

Though if that’s what you get from this thread I guess it’s one more reason to stop doing them.

I’ve never seen Spinal Tap, a parody of something I can’t stand is still too much of something I can’t stand.

D
Aww c’mon.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:08 pm

shadowplay wrote:

Really sorry to hear about your cat and the bills, it's truly misery on misery. My girls tell me the bill thing is one of the hardest parts of being a vet, it really weighs on the vet when they see the financial agony some people are going through purely because they love their animal enough to get it treated properly.
D
I don't begrudge it. We would have regretted not spending the money trying to save him more. The vets have been great TBH, it's clear they are there because they love animals, not because they can see pound signs.

Sorry for dragging this off topic.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:55 pm

NickD wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:08 pm
shadowplay wrote:

D
I don't begrudge it. We would have regretted not spending the money trying to save him more. The vets have been great TBH, it's clear they are there because they love animals, not because they can see pound signs.

Sorry for dragging this off topic.
Nothing to be sorry for there's nothing to derail, it's fully tumbleweed anyway. Glad you have good vets, I had bad experiences in the past but these days we've got some good ones.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:26 am

nanamour wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:15 am
he Tropic of Cancer collab sounds especially enticing, my mind's already swirling with ideas of what that must sound like. I'll give the new LP listen after work and report back!
Btw did you hear the vocal she did for Ancient Methods?

Ancient Methods - It Won’t Take Me (Feat. Tropic Of Cancer) there's actually three belting female vocals on this 12" the other two being from Zanias (Alison Lewis, Zoe Zanias,Linea Aspera, Keluar) which might even be the pick of the litter and Azar Swan ( Zohra Atash).

Top shelf material!

D

Venice Lockjaw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Venice Lockjaw » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:43 pm

Shadowplay your guides are literally the only reason why I come on here anymore. I don’t always post a response and I don’t even always appreciate what you share, but you’ve turned me on to so many artists - plenty of whom I don’t think I would’ve found out about otherwise. Often times I don’t bother posting because I don’t feel I’ve anything to contribute to the conversation, such is the breadth of your - and many other posters here - record knowledge (but that’s neither here nor there). The point is, I’ve benefited greatly from what you shared on here and I’m sorry to see you stop what is my main point of interest on this site. That said, I completely understand where you’re coming from.

P.S. Heroin in Tahiti is great, I’ve been listening to Spinalonga all week.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:23 pm

Aww, come on, my time for listening to music is little and I was planning to give it a listen when I got time. I don't reckon you ought to quit posting music you love just because you don't get much attention, for one, your music genuinely is a little cross grain on a guitar forum, and you must know that. Secondly, if even one person finds inspiration from anything you do or say then you have done your work.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:37 am

i like to drop in on your music guides David
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.