Need help SUGGESTING MUSIC TO kids

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Need help SUGGESTING MUSIC TO kids

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:08 pm

Bachman-Turner Overdrive.

"See? There was a time when you could make it in the music business without swearing or making everyone look at your damn titties all the time!"

The lesson plan writes itself.

I mean I don't know what kind of school this is.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:43 pm

i can only speak for myself as a kid/teenage who loved music but one of my early loves was ska music. mainly the 2nd wave stuff but i will 100% admit to seeing reel big fish live. i found it fun music and even if nowadays i think most the 3rd wave ska is dated as all hell, there is still some good stuff.

david will make fun of me for this but i also want to suggest the first 4 offspring albums (the offspring, ignition, smash, ixnay) because they are really energetic but somewhat diverse songs there and if you are teaching guitar, it will get them used to what my friend calls the 90's punk picking. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKy46KCcd2w) but their also good songs to get them into the idea of dropping instruments to create dynamics in a fast song.

if they like music with an emo vibe. i highly recommend the front bottoms. same with PUP. that can give them an easy line to the 2nd wave emo stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWJUk65EnQM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWYrgj_vZqI

while i've not been super into the recent AJJ albums, i have to say there is still a lot to like in their songs. so maybe something off christmas island.

i think of the stuff i listened to when i was a teenager, i tend to think fast music because, well teenage sleazy was kinda a prick and hated the idea of any electronic music or anything too slow because in his mind "i dont have time for slow music"
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Have them select music, engage in conversation with them regarding what they like about it, what they find good, what they dislike as well.. Once a week or so you pick the song, your discussions with them will help guide your choices, discuss as before.

Don't just bring in music you like, and don't just talk about what is good about the music you bring, also talk about the negatives.

You will make many hate your choices on principal if you gush.

Edit; and make sure to find something good to say about their selections, balance your responses between good and bad, expect the same from them on their choices.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:09 pm

oid wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:14 pm

mainly the reason i hate radiohead. because 90% of radiohead fans i encounter think they are the greatest band ever who can do no wrong and every band before and since were a pale imitation.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:20 pm

I dislike them because they're boring.

Maybe do a top five hits year by year sort of thing, to show how pop music has been evolving?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:26 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:08 pm
Bachman-Turner Overdrive.

"See? There was a time when you could make it in the music business without swearing or making everyone look at your damn titties all the time!"
Obviously, you've never gotten a good look at Randy Bachman's moobs. :whistle:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:57 pm

Perhaps some simple assignments to help them learn to find new music would be in order. Have them do something like find a new type of music from a different culture /country/era and answer a few questions on it such as what music it draws upon and what music draws upon it. YouTube and Wikipedia make such things simple and it would take little time or effort so even the disinterested would have no trouble completing it. These selections than could be the listening and discusion options for the next few weeks, perhaps with discussion led by the person who selected the song.

Wikipedia is full of lists such as popular music by era or location, music by country, etc that could be given as a starting point.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:06 pm

It's hard. You have to get them outside the box somehow. I was definitely about 8-10 years past the prime of Nirvana, but at the age of 12-13 I was ready for something different than the rap my sister made me listen to. Nirvana, Guns N Roses, and Lynyrd Skynyrd got me listening to a more complex style of music that revolved around the guitar. Definitely not really complex musically, but more so than anything I had heard to that point. As cliche as it sounds "free bird" really opened my world to the guitar. Back then I feel like the song didn't really have the stigma that it does now..

Before it was simple pop and rap of the late 90s

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:21 pm

I hear a lot of dub elements in that TOP song. I would treat that as an opening to talk about dub pioneers and reggae producers like Lee “Scratch” Perry, King Tubby, Mad Professor, etc...

That Imagine Dragons song is pure unadulterated shit. Everything that’s wrong with modern production. If you have the patience, show them how music got to this point.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:34 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:09 am
Go with first-gen hip hop! Grandmaster Flash and the lot!
Or show them the line running from protest songs of the '60s and earlier to Public Enemy and beyond. Okay, I'm not really up on where that line goes after Public Enemy, but a lesson on how popular music can reflect (the need for) social change might get through to the inner teenage rebel in some of the kids.

eskmsaul
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eskmsaul » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:07 pm

My 4th grade teacher would play us Flash's Theme by Queen on piano during cleanup time and I was always so awe-stricken just seeing him play piano and sing at the same time. He'd even sing the lines from the movie! This was before I even knew what Queen was, but I loved it. He sang other songs too but that one always stuck with me.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:06 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:09 pm
oid wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:14 pm

mainly the reason i hate radiohead. because 90% of radiohead fans i encounter think they are the greatest band ever who can do no wrong and every band before and since were a pale imitation.
that's a n00b response, i had the same reaction to Yo La Tengo fans back in 1992, i was wrong then and you're wrong now
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:07 am

panoramic wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:06 am

that's a n00b response, i had the same reaction to Yo La Tengo fans back in 1992, i was wrong then and you're wrong now
at this point, ive listened to every album and at best their a c or a c+. nothing special.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:15 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:07 am
panoramic wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:06 am

at this point, ive listened to every album and at best their a c or a c+. nothing special.
I guess if you grew up liking the offspring you get a pass, next time act like it was bad religion at least :freako:
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:06 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:20 pm
Maybe do a top five hits year by year sort of thing, to show how pop music has been evolving?
This is an idea I might develop.

I do have Lee Scratch Perry worked into a plan already, so maybe I could use that opportunity to connect to TOP. I can’t reasonably assign projects because of the way the schedule works, but I am exposing them to examples of music from around the world and throughout history over the course of the year.