I am a huge music snob

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I am a huge music snob

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:28 am

panoramic wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:04 am
i think it's comical how much opposition you met on a forum populated by music snobbies or reformed ones. Pretty much everyone here think they're an expert on something or other. Music though, still pretty sure you don't have anything on my level of asshat
I'm a subjective interpretive internet forum writing style snob, and as an expert, I hereby dismiss your opinions and approach as childish and jerky. Rather that discuss the substance of your observations, I will judge you harshly and dismiss you as a wank.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:31 am

I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:11 pm

panoramic wrote:
i think it's comical how much opposition you met on a forum populated by music snobbies or reformed ones. Pretty much everyone here think they're an expert on something or other. Music though, still pretty sure you don't have anything on my level of asshat
HAHAAAHA yeah it is comical!! So much hate coming from users preaching not to judge!

Your level sounds pretty fun. I dunno how we could have a “snob-off” but I dunno man, I think I have you beat. But how to measure? I discount just about anything “well” produced.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:23 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:11 pm
Your level sounds pretty fun. I dunno how we could have a “snob-off” but I dunno man, I think I have you beat. But how to measure? I discount just about anything “well” produced.
It's gonna be a throw down.

Fuck all that well produced stuff! Those smooth clear recordings just make it easier for The Man to get you!

CivoLee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CivoLee » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:55 pm

I used to have this attitude, then I found it to be very self-alienating.

When I first got into music, I was into the nu-metal (Godsmack, Linkin Park), pop punk (Blink-182, Green Day), and uninspired late 90s alterna-pop (Marcy Playground, Better Than Ezra) my local "modern rock" station played, but I never delved very far into any of those bands' other recordings. Then, when I started getting into playing myself and buying CDs (I'm old, I guess), I bought albums by Static-X, Powerman 5000, Metallica, and Tool - stuff that was mainstream, but not really "pop music". Soon, I got into 2 bands that were somewhat weird and slightly under the radar: System of a Down and Queens of the Stone Age. I listened to SOAD's self-titled album and QOTSA's Rated R incessantly.

Later, I got into more classic alternative stuff like Sonic Youth and the Cure's pre-Head on the Door era. But around that time, System of a Down released Toxicity and Queens of the Stone Age released Songs for the Deaf,and the radio started playing "No One Knows" and "Chop Suey!" every hour on the hour. And then they got even more popular by the mid 2000s. Rather than be happy two of my favorite bands at the time were becoming more successful, I hated them for "selling out". I didn't care for the "hipster indie" bands of the mid 2000s, like Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, Muse*, or Snow Patrol, either (though I did have - and retain - a soft spot for The Rapture). The only then-current music I liked were noisy indie rock groups like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and (...And You Will Know Us By The) Trail of Dead. Also, the Vines, Minus the Bear, Porcupine Tree, and TV On The Radio. Everything else was 60s/70s/80s/90s classic rock/metal/punk/alternative rock; The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, the Sex Pistols, Wire, Joy Division, the Cure, Sonic Youth, Devo, the Smiths, Husker Du, Mission of Burma, Dinosaur Jr., the Pixies, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Skinny Puppy, Fugazi, Nirvana, Therapy?, Radiohead, Massive Attack, Pantera, Helmet, Pavement...

It should be noted that at the time, I spent a lot of my time alone in my room playing guitar, listening to music, reading books/magazines related to guitars/music, or hanging out on Sonic Youth's message board (if you were there at the time, I was GeneticKiss) with other "music snobs". So maybe it wasn't so much that I was a "music snob", given that most of the bands I listed were popular or got mainstream attention at one time or another, just not then; it was that I was so obsessed with music that I sought out bands/music/artists that I saw as "musically pure" and shut out that which I saw as purely money-driven. But when I'd be around other people, I became more open. A coworker invited me to her birthday party at a piano bar, and while the music they were playing was karaoke-friendly fare like "Sweet Caroline" (bum bum bum) and "Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy", I sang along with everybody else and enjoyed myself (and I was the least drunk person in the room). Likewise, when dating the first girl I truly loved, she'd want to listen to pop radio when we were driving. One time, Rhianna's 'Only Girl in the World" came on, she turned it up and said, "This is my song to you." Rather than scoff, I thought, "Well, it has a nice beat, anyway..."

These days, I couldn't care less about how popular an artist is or isn't so long as I really enjoy their music. I actually like some pop music, like Bruno Mars , Imagine Dragons, and Maroon 5 (although I prefer their pre-The Voice stuff). I've also gone back and listened to the music System of a Down and Queens of the Stone Age released back when I shunned them as "sell-outs" and while I don't enjoy all of it, I feel like I missed out by refusing to listen to them just because they weren't "mine" anymore. I'll intentionally listen to the radio from time to time as well, just so I can stay up to date with what's current in music. I've actually discovered some new artists I really like through the radio (Royal Blood, Highly Suspect, and Middle Class Rut - that last one broke up, though). Part of my reason for doing this is that I'm getting older and I don't want to become out of touch. The other is I don't want to end up like this:

...and mind you, I don't feel the OP or anyone on here is like that. But I am saying is to not to judge other people as sheep, fools, or part of the brainwashed masses just because they like pop music or don't share your tastes.

*I actually like them now too, so yeah...

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:31 am

shadowplay wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:44 am
Btw and very OT but given your location and I guess your sig you no doubt are up on this but most folk I know with a fondness for Go Betweens are very keen on The Goon Sax.
Yep I've seen them live a couple of times round the traps. For want of a better term they're a good fun band!
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:45 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:31 am
shadowplay wrote:
Btw and very OT but given your location and I guess your sig you no doubt are up on this but most folk I know with a fondness for Go Betweens are very keen on The Goon Sax.
Yep I've seen them live a couple of times round the traps. For want of a better term they're a good fun band!
I've yet to see them live. I'm in two minds about their stuff so far, it seems so close to the GoBs as to be almost pastiche .. I want to like them but not sure if it's going to turn out well, if that makes sense.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:07 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:23 pm
DeathJag wrote:
It's gonna be a throw down.

Fuck all that well produced stuff! Those smooth clear recordings just make it easier for The Man to get you!

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:09 am

DeathJag wrote:
panoramic wrote:
HAHAAAHA yeah it is comical!! So much hate coming from users preaching not to judge!

first off you're gonna have to explain to me what the fuck "breakcore" is, is that related to the music i make when i fart or something less cool?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:52 am

panoramic wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:09 am

first off you're gonna have to explain to me what the fuck "breakcore" is, is that related to the music i make when i fart or something less cool?
Breakcore is like the shunned bastard offspring of the horror that is Happy Hardcore and commercial Jungle (or the shopping car with massive ICE and pedal bin sized exhaust end of drum and bass).

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:55 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:52 am
panoramic wrote:

Breakcore is like the shunned bastard offspring of the horror that is Happy Hardcore and commercial Jungle (or the shopping car with massive ICE and pedal bin sized exhaust end of drum and bass).

D
well that is some shit i'm pretty sure the world could do without

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:29 am

panoramic wrote:

Just some good old fashioned baby makin' music.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:29 pm

mezcalhead wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:45 am
andy_tchp wrote:
shadowplay wrote:
[...]The Goon Sax.
I've yet to see them live. I'm in two minds about their stuff so far, it seems so close to the GoBs as to be almost pastiche .. I want to like them but not sure if it's going to turn out well, if that makes sense.
It definitely does. I enjoyed them well enough when seeing them but not sure it was quite enough to buy an album. Still, anything I wrote at their age (and probably much older than that!) was derivative as hell too.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:09 pm

Fair enough, I will go see them if I get the chance.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:02 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:29 pm
mezcalhead wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:45 am
andy_tchp wrote:

It definitely does. I enjoyed them well enough when seeing them but not sure it was quite enough to buy an album. Still, anything I wrote at their age (and probably much older than that!) was derivative as hell too.
Perhaps like the style of early Go - Betweens
A sizable bit of Courtney Barnett in there as well

I keep thinking of Johnathon Richman and the Modern Lovers for some reason.

Which isn't a bad thing.

It's good.stuff

:)