Szun Waves ....Jazz...ish...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Szun Waves ....Jazz...ish...

Post by shadowplay » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:43 am

Thanks to NickD for informing me that Szun Waves (Luke Abbott, Jack Wylie of Portico Quartet and Laurence Pike of PVT/Pivot) and have a new album out called; New Hymn to Freedom. I came in this morning and I am loving it.
Sometimes in improvised music there can be a distance between listener and players, a sense you’re sitting back and admiring their interplay and abstraction – but with Szun Waves’ second album, you’re right in there with them, inside the playing, experiencing the absolute joy the three musicians feel as they circle around each other, exploring the spaces they’ve opened up.

The three members already have sparkling pedigrees of their own. Norfolk’s Luke Abbott is well known for his explorations of the zones between pure ambience and the leftmost fringes of club culture. With Portico Quartet and Circle Traps, Jack Wyllie has been in the vanguard of UK fusions of jazz, classical and club music. Australian drummer Laurence Pike has likewise found a unique voice in improvised and experimental music-making, whether in the bands Triosk or PVT, or as a solo artist.

The trio’s musical relationship has grown naturally and steadily, and it shows. From Wyllie adding shimmering sustained sax notes to Abbott’s gorgeous ambient pieces in 2013, Szun Waves emerged when Pike was added to the mix, energising the sound but still keeping its levitational qualities. Their 2016 self-released debut album hit a natural groove – it was a “proof of concept” as Abbott says – and now they’re in a place of pure spontaneity: New Hymn To Freedom is a document of six entirely live improvisations – “no edits or overdubs” – and its title couldn’t be more apt
Not trad jazz but a sort soup of jazz, kosmische, techno glitch, psychedelics, fourth worldisms, cosmic pastoralism, ritualistic music and even dipping into the more refracted eddys at the fringes of UK post rock. The title track even reminds me of this old Coil track.

Abbott's not the first to break out his techno prison for some Jazz adjacent action, minimal techno kingpin Maurizio (Moritz von Oswald )diverged into jazzish waters several years ago and Spring Heel Jack did great work of Masses and AMaSSED with Mathew Shipp.

Their other album At Sacred Walls is also a belter and I know a few sage OSGers are on this train.

At Sacred Walls Is the debut album by Szun Waves - the newly formed group comprised of electronic producer Luke Abbott, Laurence Pike of PVT and Jack Wyllie of Portico.

Luke Abbott and Laurence Pike (PVT) had been talking for a while over email about the idea of doing something together, it was just a case of waiting for the right moment to come along. Despite being located in different parts of the world (Luke in London and Laurence in Sydney), they eventually managed to get together in March 2005. Joining up with Jack Wyllie (Portico) who had collaborated with Luke on a prior release, the trio embarked on a three-day recording session at James Holden’s Sacred Walls studio. The 6 hours of sessions were then edited and mixed by Luke into a 6 track LP.
Incidentally Sacred Walls is James Holden of Border Community's studio and anyone who likes the above will go head over heels for his superb and similar album James Holden and the Animal Spirits.

So any old fans, any new fans? Answers on a post card to this thread.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Szun Waves ....Jazz...ish...

Post by NickD » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:24 am

Yeah, definitely not trad jazz!

I'd definitely agree with the Coil namecheck on the title track, it has that kind of feeling.

I loved At Sacred Walls and this is a worthy follow up. The jazz comes from the improvised nature of the album, and having a sax player as part of the group, but the interplay of electronic and analogue makes it so much more than that, and there is a heavy ambient/techno/electronic slant to the album. I'll have a listen to the links above ^ it sounds like there may be some stuff relevant to my interests.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:49 am

NickD wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:24 am
it sounds like there may be some stuff relevant to my interests.
It's all CD (bar his work with Laughing Hands) but you might enjoy Paul Schutze if you don't know him, he operates in the cracks between jazz, fourth world and ambient;

New Maps of Hell which sometimes ventures out into Coil country sounding not unlike Unrelseased Themes from Hellraiser occasionally.

Apart which is IMO something of a masterpiece.

The Rapture of Metals

Abysmal Evenings

Slightly different but a real favourite is Second Site: 27°37'35" N 77°13'05" E a strange but compelling record with spoken word dedicated to Jantar Mantar in India.

More Jazz was the Phantom City ‎– Shiva Recoil. Live / Unlive record. which to my terrible jazz ears is kinda out in early 70's Miles Davis territory.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:08 am

I listened to it this morning and enjoyed it although it wasn't terribly conducive to working. Thanks.