Cold Beat

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Cold Beat

Post by cestlamort » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:42 pm

Not dissimilar and on heavy rotation at Chez la mort
https://riki.bandcamp.com

(really good once you get past the orchestral hits of the first song)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:01 am

cestlamort wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:42 pm

I've got that record, good shout. I was nearly warned off by the sleeve but I donned my blackout glasses and just gropedmy way to the checkout. You'd probably not guess she was from the US if you didn't know, it pretty much nails that pre 85' lost German (or maybe low country) popwave thing you'd see re-released on Dark Entries (the sleeve buys into this too).

Btw have you heard De Ambassade - Duistre Kamers? For me it's near the top of the pile of recent minimal retro with a real NDW feel in that it's not so genre walled, often feeling like a trashy futurist exotica burlesque band.
FrankRay wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:45 pm
You know, if this was 1963 and I had the chance to go see the Stones orBeatles, and instead banged on how great Humphrey Littleton's reimagining of Louis Armstrong was, that would be less anachronostic than these retro-heads.
It's like the musical equivalent of Stranger Things. Possibly less fun, at that. Certainly less knowing.
I really love the Eurythmics' first album, and their cover of I'm Never Gonna Cry Again is exactly as expected; fetishising analog synths and drum machines in an utterly soulless more-or-less identical retread, without the purity, clarity or cold-hearted european sexuality of the original.
Bah humbug.
Don't really see it that way, firstly I prefer her own records to the cover one and in the second place I simply like her albums pure and simple.

I don't really care about Cold Beat being retro because firstly it's good retro and secondly I've been buying music more or less like this for 40 years+ and have still to grow out of it. I like the sound and Mikey Young who produced it is in the excellent The Green Child, Total Control and Lace Curtain (cool Maton Flamingo in the video too) among others.

Cold Beat also tend to change a wee bit between elpees, if someone is looking for more guitars then earlier tracks like Cracks might appeal. I wasn't too into the first elpee Over Me, it was a bit too skinny tied new wave for me, I only really got interested when they released Into the Air which is IMO a great record.

In contrast to your example I've never been able to grow into the Beatles and the Stones, I've long been totally indifferent to most of that lot, they were just bands my mates uncool dads liked and then as now I had other fish to fry. In any case there's plenty of utterly shaft and tedious bands influenced by the Stones and The Beatles and I've spent a great deal of my life suffering under tons of britrock landfill.

I also just happen to like drum machines and synths used in all sorts of ways. I do agree that sometimes people get fixated on the right vintage synth almost over making music (and guitars too) but I don't think we are talking about that here and funnily enough some of my favourtite synthy acts use gear commonly slagged off by forum man like The Detox Twins and C.A.R her new elpee looks really promising based on thePressure Drop single. I mean she plays a Minilogue...throw that record in the trash.

Anyway sometimes the most derivative music can be good, I mean I really like Second Still whose first elpee sounds exactly like I did in 1983 after listening to too much Xmal, Cocteau's, Early DCD and Banshees and anyway I basically think that this is what a guitar and bass sounds like. I like their later records where they've moved on a little but I've played the first and most derivative one more than the rest put together.

Of course you've also got folk making music with the best gear imaginable like Wrangler who have a new elpee just out . They have access to Benge's world class synth collection but also seem to use a lot of inexpensive new stuff. Talking retro...I just realised the other day that I'd been buying records with Stephen Mallinder on them for 42 years and still get get pretty exited to buy more.
mediocreplayer wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:01 pm
Never heard of Cold Beat before Jaguar mentioned them in the other long thread. I started listening to Mother and the first two tracks blew my mind. I listened to the whole thing and liked it a lot though a bit towards the end it got a bit same-y, but maybe because I was working on something and not 100% dedicated to listening.

Speaking of same-y, I can't get enough of La Roux's new album where every outlet mentions this as a criticism (and as I was playing it last night during dinner my wife was like "have we been listening to the same song for the past 30 minutes?". Not sure why that is not bothering me at all. I don't want to crash the Cold Beat thread but if there are recommendations for more music like this recent La Roux album (80s synth pop with a dash of funk/disco guitars) I am all ears.

You might like the Patience record.

D
Gott in Himmel!

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:54 am

FrankRay wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:45 pm
You know, if this was 1963 and I had the chance to go see the Stones or Beatles, and instead banged on how great Humphrey Littleton's reimagining of Louis Armstrong was, that would be less anachronistic than these retro-heads.
It's like the musical equivalent of Stranger Things. Possibly less fun, at that. Certainly less knowing.
I really love the Eurythmics' first album, and their cover of I'm Never Gonna Cry Again is exactly as expected; fetishising analog synths and drum machines in an utterly soulless more-or-less identical retread, without the purity, clarity or cold-hearted european sexuality of the original.
Bah humbug.
As a person that never liked Annie Lennox's voice very much, the Cold Beat versions were great. :w00t: I can see how you can pick them apart though. I liked Cold Beat's stuff when they had a real drummer more, but sorta like later Broadcast without their drummer, I've learned to adapt.

Getting into Grass Widow after Cold Beat was fun too. My personal experience is that making music in your 40s with actual people is a fucking pain compared to the 20s and even 30s. At least that drum machine can always make it to practice.
cestlamort wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:42 pm

I went through this and feel like a lot of FrankRay's complaints can also be applied to Riki, it was a little to over-the-top for me as I have never been too invested in cold-hearted European sexuality-- vintage or reimagined. :mellow:

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:21 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:01 am

Thank you. I actually have been listening to Patience together with the La Roux album, so your recommendation is spot on. I'll go through the rest of the stuff in this thread. I listened to the Pressure Drop single at the first couple of minutes I was like wtf is this but it became much better as it went on. Now going to listen to Second Still.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:02 am

mediocreplayer wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:21 pm
shadowplay wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:01 am

Thank you. I actually have been listening to Patience together with the La Roux album, so your recommendation is spot on. I'll go through the rest of the stuff in this thread. I listened to the Pressure Drop single at the first couple of minutes I was like wtf is this but it became much better as it went on. Now going to listen to Second Still.
C.A.R wasn't really a suggestion, it was an example of someone making good music on gear forum man (generally with no record on the shelves themselves) likes to slag off. Pressure Drop is more an outlier but as you say it really start to pay as it develops (and there's a great Suzanne Kraft remix, that's much more cuddly) , if you listen to her elpee you'll find more friendly tunes.

i absolutely adore her collaborations with Red Axes

the kinda sexhey

Red Axes X C.A.R. - Incognito

and

Red Axes - 5 Min (feat CAR) she got such a perfect cold wave voice

though on the Nyx Tape EP they also go right out there and get the legendary Gina X to go a vocal which is something of a dream. Red Axes - Nyx Tape (feat Gina X)

D
Gott in Himmel!