Madonna is 60, post your favourite songs.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Madonna is 60, post your favourite songs.

Post by shadowplay » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 pm

NickD wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:55 pm
I apologise for the obviousness (and I've never got the hand of youtube links from a phone) but Into the Groove gets my vote. The perfect mix of pop innocence and club/disco floor filler.
I really like Into the Groove but I'll be that guy and say it's very much Shannon's Let the Music Play's palest of pale shadow.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:16 pm

I'm coming in with a couple of album tracks;

Drowned World /Substitute for Love off Ray Of Light, though Frozen is also a mega track.

Secret Garden peak speaky Madonna...channeling her Eartha Kitt purr...

And I always really liked Madonna - Everybody (uk Dub Version) actually mixed by Rusty Egan of Visage. Weirdly I didn't know there was another US dub version of this until I posted a link and realised it was a different mix, I just assumed they were all the same. Incidentally unlike most Madonna things my copy was sold at a special 'Nice Price' in a plain sleeve. The uk A side is good too and different from the better known album version.

D

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:22 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:16 pm

Drowned World /Substitute for Love off Ray Of Light, though Frozen is also a mega track.
You cannot be serious, sir! :wtf:

Sadly that whole album is essentially ruined for me by associations with a bad relationship, but even then that song's a snooze.

I've got a lot of fondness for pretty much everything up until then, and while a lot since has been shit in my estimation and I basically stopped paying her any mind when she paid off a cash-strapped nation to let her kidnap a child to wear as a status symbol, What it feels like for a girl (and bedtime stories in general) is pretty hot shit in my book.
This is an excellent rectangle

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:36 pm

Justify My Love and the In Bed With Madonna raga-style makeover of Like A Virgin, Ray Of Light, especially the voice crack near the end. Her William Orbit stuff is best, basically.

There's one song of hers that's haunted me for years. I saw a little bit of it on The Chart Show (so I assume it was a single) and thought it sounded great, but I've never been able to find it since. It had a down-tempo/ambient feeling, suggesting Orbit at the controls, maybe. All I can say to narrow it down is that it came out after the LP with Justify My Love, probably between 1994 and 1997. Maybe it was just a case of memory magnifying an appetising snippet's greatness and it being less apparent on hearing it again in the context of a whole after that initial moment.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:58 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:36 pm

There's one song of hers that's haunted me for years. I saw a little bit of it on The Chart Show (so I assume it was a single) and thought it sounded great, but I've never been able to find it since. It had a down-tempo/ambient feeling, suggesting Orbit at the controls, maybe. All I can say to narrow it down is that it came out after the LP with Justify My Love, probably between 1994 and 1997. Maybe it was just a case of memory magnifying an appetising snippet's greatness and it being less apparent on hearing it again in the context of a whole after that initial moment.
I'm not a Madonna expert and pretty sketchy on a lot of her records but are you thinking about theMarvin Gaye cover with Massive Attack; I Want You? Really good stuff and we can claim some of this land for Glasgow since it's got a Craig Armstrong arrangement. In single form it was a white label and not a full release, I've got one.

There's a few different versions on the 12 but the orchestral one is worth hearing Madonna - I Want You (Orchestral. Massive Attack)

i always wondered if this was an influence on Rob Dougan's Furious Angels 12' with the Orchestral version on Cheeky.

Been a bit weird hearing folk talk about her on Radio 4 this morning, I mean I started this thread and all that but some of the claims they were advancing about her being ahead of trends and 'the game' were very wide of the mark. Madonna has generally been about polishing up scenes and art references for mainstream consumption, not really a ahead of the game type.

FIXED LINK

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:52 am

She might've been ahead of the game as far as being your own brand is concerned, though. I was just talking to my pal this morning about YouTube 'celebrities' all trying to maximise their ad-selling revenue streams with their constant imploring to "Like and subscribe!" to their crap content. I think Madge is an object lesson on 'making it big' across multiple platforms with fairly limited talent.

As for the elusive track, that link sent me to Erotica, which isn't it. I actually don't think I'd recognise it - or at least recognise what I thought was so good about it - if I heard it now.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:59 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:52 am

As for the elusive track, that link sent me to Erotica, which isn't it. I actually don't think I'd recognise it - or at least recognise what I thought was so good about it - if I heard it now.
Sorry fixed the link try now. Btw those country restrictions are a PITA.

I think she has a lot of talent and I probably listen to more Madonna I do most of the big OSG indie bands and the heritage rock greats but I just don't think she should be viewed as a genre pioneer. She's got a lot of people dancing over the years and seen off a lot of flybynight cargo cult Madonnas and that's something in itself. I'm not even a huge Madonna fan, I've never got very excited to hear she was coming out with a new record but credit where credit is due, she released some great records over the years and I've went and bought them.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:04 am

^ Interesting, but that'll not be it - the song in question had a proper Madge video. At one point I thought it was Rain, but I listened to that and it didn't really do anything for me. Maybe I dreamt the whole thing.

Edit: actually, just listened to it again, and if they played just the middle eight (and maybe the spoken bit after it), that might well have been it. We should maybe have a thread of duff songs with great middle eights....

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:12 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:04 am
Maybe I dreamt the whole thing.

I've done that myself, some songs are better in my memory than in reality. I can never really speak of videos, I just can't be bothered with any of them Madonna or not though and if I like a song I'll just buy it and forget the video, I do however like the dance studio parts of Hung Up, though once it gets into crunking mission creep I lose interest.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:13 am

I've always been responsive to her better stuff too, and by describing her talent as limited I'm not in any way lumping her in with the non-entities I mentioned. The fact is her choice of collaborators, who, I suspect, are responsible for the bulk of the tunesmithery, is probably her biggest talent, as is her curation of the Madonna brand which is still formidable despite all the shit she's had over the years and still gets.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:22 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:13 am
despite all the shit she's had over the years and still gets.
She gets a lot of nasty abuse about how she looks these days, mainly from men and Daily Mail nutter columnist women (who are unsurprisingly much uglier than her) who must have access to the most stunning 60 year olds on the planet if somehow Madonna is rough for her age. Some folk think she should act her age but I find her out and about with her arse out quite entertaining and positive especially in the world where male stars in hollywood are often cast with love interest half their age.

I thought her posing in her holdups with her Miele was a dadaist lark and I though she looked great in those saucy Irving Klaw style shots with Katy Perry. Probably NSFW.

D

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:02 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:20 am
I would say my best NYC/Madonna moment was sitting alone in a pizza shop on a rainy night and they had this video on the TV in there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzAO9A9GjgI
I've always had a soft spot for "Live To Tell" as well. Very moody, and kind of a departure for her at the time if I recall. I can imagine that poignant moment in that place that night. One thing that especially impressed me about that song was the use of her lower vocal range. I hadn't heard that until that moment.

It occurs to me reading this thread that she did some great movie songs. Live To Tell, (At Close Range), Get into the Groove (Desperately Seeking Susan) are my favorites, but she did at least a dozen. I can't think of another pop star being that involved in film soundtracks.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:10 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:12 am
I can never really speak of videos, I just can't be bothered with any of them Madonna or not though and if I like a song I'll just buy it and forget the video, I do however like the dance studio parts of Hung Up, though once it gets into crunking mission creep I lose interest.
Man, that's part of the story! She dances to Abba in a dance studio, black people dance in their everyday lives, and Asian people dance at the restaurant where they work, then they all meet up at the club to get crunk and play Dance Dance Revolution.

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:22 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:58 am
Been a bit weird hearing folk talk about her on Radio 4 this morning, I mean I started this thread and all that but some of the claims they were advancing about her being ahead of trends and 'the game' were very wide of the mark. Madonna has generally been about polishing up scenes and art references for mainstream consumption, not really a ahead of the game type.
While it may be a dubious accomplishment to some, IMO no one can take away what she did for the medium of the music video. Her songs and look were the perfect match made in MTV heaven and I think someone had to be there (and perhaps in the USA?) to truly appreciate the way she dominated that format. While she didn't invent the music video, no one exploited it more fully or realized its full potential as a marketing tool than Madonna did at the time. Her MTV "premiers" rivaled the anticipation one felt for a long awaited movie and were met with the same fanfare. Indeed, from the beginning of her career her long format videos were like small movies.

Even her iconic appearance on the MTV music awards writhing around suggestively in a bridal gown is one of those "remember where you were when" moments for many. Certainly it is for me.

Of course in retrospect this may be something that could be hard to appreciate or fathom.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:30 am

scottT wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:22 am

Of course in retrospect this may something that could be hard to appreciate or fathom.
I've just never been interested in videos and I couldn't sit in front of MTV for all the tea in China.

I am old enough to remember her coming out. As I said earlier Into the Groove was pretty much just standing in Shannon Let the music Play's footprints and she even stole the title line from it and back in the early 80's i was buying records by john Robie and Arthur Baker and electro records that were an influence on her music.

D