man, screw verlaine and lloyd...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: man, screw verlaine and lloyd...

Post by timtam » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:21 pm

New interview with Richard Lloyd. As usual you need your dippy trippy filter engaged for some of it ...
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... -alchemist
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:25 am

raindog13 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:32 pm
I've been drinking beer and listening to "Marquee Moon" all evening, and now I'm listening to the live at the Masonic Temple thing on Youtube, and seriously, fuck these guys. How? Just how? And it's not like this is some new kinda of revelation for me. I've been enamored by this record for almost 20 years. Doesn't matter. Blows my mind every time. Very, very rarely have two guitarists synchronized so fantastically. And honest to god, it's easily the best advertisement for Fender guitars ever. Just, wow. Truly peerless. Magnificent.
On the whole, I very much agree. As for other guitarists synchronizing, if you have never seen Swervedriver live, I highly recommend it. I saw them in the 90s at a fairly large venue, so I didn’t really get a chance to see who was playing what, but I have seen them several times since they got back together and have had the chance to see who is playing what, and it’s always pretty mind blowing to see how Adam and Jimmy’s parts fit together.
Thread killer

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue May 12, 2020 9:47 pm

timtam wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:24 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:02 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:33 am

Sweet. Just put a hold on that at the library.

The Stamey book was pretty good too.
So... the Lloyd book is not very good.

Very little about Television I didn’t already know. Lots about drugs. Sex stuff I’d just as soon not know about. Lots of dippy personal insights/observations.
Thanks for reporting back. Will save me buying it. I've been working through band biographies from that era in recent years ... Magazine, Banshees, Cure, Joy Division, Birthday Party.
Just watched Richard Lloyd on his book tour for 'Everything Is Combustible' from several years back, interviewed by Chris Franz at the iconic Strand bookstore in NYC. Probably gives a decent sense of what the book is like. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_o3324npUQ
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed May 13, 2020 12:57 am

oh here is a tip when trying to figure out a lot of television songs. lots of the lead parts when there is vocals is richard lloyd and lots of the lead parts when there is no singing are more likely verlaine. the other tip is lloyd's usually sound a bit more "rock" and verlaine's parts are usually jazzier
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed May 13, 2020 6:22 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:57 am
oh here is a tip when trying to figure out a lot of television songs. lots of the lead parts when there is vocals is richard lloyd and lots of the lead parts when there is no singing are more likely verlaine. the other tip is lloyd's usually sound a bit more "rock" and verlaine's parts are usually jazzier
Also Lloyd doubled a lot of his playing on Marquee Moon and Verlaine did not.