Does anyone know the band SHACKLOCK METH PARTY?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Does anyone know the band SHACKLOCK METH PARTY?

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:09 am

Hey fine folks of OSG!

Anyone here from New Zealand and or Australia might be of great help - but all others don't hesitate to participate!

So, I discovered some great bands listening to those Psychedelic Underground Generation compilations on youtube.
That one for example - or specifically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOndKlK ... gs=pl%2Cwn
On minute 37 something the song "Hollywood" is starting by a band that is called SHACKLOCK METH PARTY.

I googled hard on them... But the only thing I found out is that they are or were from NZ - and they split up some time ago. I tried to contact their label on bandcamp (but somehow nobody ever answers requests/mails you send them on bandcamp if you're not buying something)

Does anyone of you know the band (personally or just their music) and does anyone know where still to get their music. All the download portals they're listed seem to be dead. Youtube only has 5 or 6 songs. I'd love to spin that thing on my record player - or (more realistically as I don't know if they ever made vinyl) have them on my computer/mobile phone and listen to them whenever I feel like it...

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Does anyone know the band SHACKLOCK METH PARTY?

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:52 am

No one? Really?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:21 am

Nope.

There's quite literally thousands of obscure bands nobody has heard of or ever will hear about in NZ, and many more in Australia. As far as 'psychedelic' stuff goes, a lot of it is just plain fucking awful too.

Their 'label' is most likely the main musical director/song-writer mailing CDRs out to people in the unlikely event of somebody ordering a physical copy. Even fairly well known bands don't make any money here.

Here's an interview, they are/were from Christchurch - Doesn't seem like he had any desire to promote the music so I doubt anyone outside Christchurch with a particular interest in psychedelia would even remember them:
http://www.undertheradar.co.nz/intervie ... -Party.utr
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

fraew
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by fraew » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:07 am

Shacklock Meth Party was the project of Rhett Copland; who still lives in Christchurch, but no longer makes music. He removed a great chunk of his recordings from BandCamp etc but there's the odd scrap here and there.

He was also the guy behind the band Doctors and Christian Rock, and played in a few other bands like BnP. Some of the connected bands sharing the same members include Log Horn Breed, Kool Aid (who are still really active) and the Dance Asthmatics. I was the guy that took photos of all these bands (see https://thebigcity.co.nz - I'll get round to doing profiles sometime), which were mostly active just after the Christchurch Earthquakes of 2010-2011; as they mostly played at the house party venues that sprung up in the Earthquakes wake.

Sickest Smashes from Arson City
Last edited by fraew on Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:40 am

fraew wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:07 am
Thanks a lot for this insight!
Sadly I can‘t open your photo link…

How comes that you dig out this old thread? :)
Meanwhile I found some of the music and still occasionally listen to it. But the first song I heard from them („Hollywood“) still remains the coolest.

fraew
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by fraew » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:13 pm

Sorry; fixed the url.

fraew
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by fraew » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:43 am

I’ve been updating my old band profiles, adding as much online content as I can, and this thread popped up when searching for more info on Shacklock…