Jim Campilongo And Nels Cline @Yoshi's in Oakland, CA 7/24

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Jim Campilongo And Nels Cline @Yoshi's in Oakland, CA 7/24

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:23 pm

GUYS!!!!!!! Jim!!!! Nels!!! Together at Yoshi's, the Bay Area's hottest Jazz club! (It's got everything...)

I just got tickets. I am so crazy Jazzed about this. My two main men. One stage. One night! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Any Bay Area OSGers up for a meet-up there or after? I'm flying out from Nebraska. Because, AWESOME.

BAY AREA RECORD RELEASE SHOW!
JIM CAMPILONGO, NELS CLINE, CHRIS MORRISSEY, JOSH DION
TUESDAY JULY 24
YOSHIS OAKLAND
510 Embarcadero West, Oakland, CA 94607
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jim Campilongo And Nels Cline @Yoshi's in Oakland, CA 7/24

Post by Pepe Silvia » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:27 pm

It should be a good show. I recently saw Nels Cline's Lovers for Philadelphia show and I was blown away. He is coming back in two weeks with the Nels Cline Four and I am thinking of seeing him again.

On top of the increadible musicianship at the Lovers show, I was impressed with how well behaved the dog that Nels' wife, Yuka Honda, was that she had on her lap the whole show.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:48 am

First I heard of Yuka Honda was a release with Kim Gordon and Ikue Mori titled SYR5 (Myūjikaru pāsupekutibu). Pretty wild free form stuff.
I wasn't aware she was married to Nels Cline. Over the years I've seen her name on a lot of different releases from Medeski Martin and Wood to Beastie boys. So many connections between all these random bands and artists I've listened to over the years.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:42 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:48 am
First I heard of Yuka Honda was a release with Kim Gordon and Ikue Mori titled SYR5 (Myūjikaru pāsupekutibu). Pretty wild free form stuff.
I wasn't aware she was married to Nels Cline. Over the years I've seen her name on a lot of different releases from Medeski Martin and Wood to Beastie boys. So many connections between all these random bands and artists I've listened to over the years.
I think Nels met Yuka Honda through Mike Watt. I know she was romantically involved with Sean Lennon for a bit. She has an interesting story

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:22 pm

Holy cow! What a great show!

It so so cool to see Jim and Nels playing off each other and, well, playing around. You could hear that those two guys just totally grokked what they were doing. Loads of fun and a total masterclass in contemporary instrumental music.

Worth every one of the 1400 miles I traveled to see it.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:39 pm

Glad you thought it was worth it. !

But is that all you have to say about it ?

Tell us more, please

:)

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:28 am

Oh, there's way more to say, but I was wiped out (and kinda drunk) last night, and don't have much free time today.

I'm going to do more of a write up ASAP.

BTW, saw Nels going to the soundcheck- he had his 'burst & gold guard Jazzmaster in a gigbag on his back and was carrying a small pedalboard. Both he and Jim played through Yoshi's' backline DRRIs last night, even though Jim had one of his old Princeton Reverbs with him.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Here's a well-produced vid of them playing the show the night before the Yoshi's gig, it's pretty much like what I saw:

"Blue Whale"

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks for posting this

:)