Weezer covered "Africa" by toto

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Weezer covered "Africa" by toto

Post by countertext » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:57 pm

My 15-year-old son came home from an end-of-school-year event yesterday and said, “It was terrible, the so-called DJ played that stupid Toto song three times. IN A ROW. What is wrong with people!?”

I don’t know which PR agent is responsible for the revival of that fucking song, but I heard it several thousand times too many the first time around.

Related: an old bandmate of mine in Atlanta interviewed Lukather for the local rag a few years back, said he was hilarious and had a ton of great stories about doing sessions through the years, and he loved talking gear. He set my buddy up with VIP passes to the Toto show and all that. “How was the show?” “Are you kidding? I can’t handle a Toto show. I stayed home and watched Escape From New York.”

I’ve only been able to type all this because I’ve got a shitty Jackson Browne tune in my head shielding me from memories of Toto.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:48 pm

Because this thread can never die, "enjoy"

If there was one thing that I would name that could make a live performance of this uninspired cover worse than the recording, it would be canned vocals. That's gotta be what, over 80% of the chorus vocals that are prerecorded? They buried the live mics so deep in the mix that you can only pick out Rivers when he throws in the extra "I bless the rains" lines toward the end.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:21 pm

Where are the bags of piss? That drummer needs to be nailed by bags of piss.

Fuck Costa Rica, fuck Costa Rica supporters.

and fuck that drummer.
This is an excellent rectangle

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:42 am

Toto's mulleted studio polish always looks shite next to everyone's favourite bin bag wearers Toto Coelo which were as infectious as small pox and surely the next whacky ironic song choice the internet generation.

This has been in my head all morning. :fp:

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

SY6655321
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SY6655321 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:23 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:21 pm
Where are the bags of piss? That drummer needs to be nailed by bags of piss.

Fuck Costa Rica, fuck Costa Rica supporters.

and fuck that drummer.
Really?

The original sucks.
Toto sucks.
Weezer has sucked post Pinkerton.
This cover sucks.

But there is no way in hell Pat Wilson is a ham fisted drummer who deserves bags of piss thrown at him. Piss in all the bags you want, but save them for Toto, the true culprit of this travesty.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:01 pm

The bags of piss was a reference to the piss bag throwing talk in the world cup thread, which is why I added "Fuck Costa Rica, fuck Costa Rica supporters" since that's my mantra through the contest.

As for him being a ham fisted drummer, did you even listen to the track? The drumming had no relation to the drums in the original. Also, I'm fine with Toto. Buzz off. The drums in it sounded like shit, because they were played like shit and he didn't even bother to tighten the snare up. Go listen to their other Toto cover and then listen to this and tell the world he made an effort. He didn't. And he probably DOES deserve to have bags of piss thrown at him, by the rest of the band even because they pulled their weight and he coasted.
This is an excellent rectangle

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:29 pm

I actually like this "unironically" though that may not be the way Rivers Cuomo meant it. The vocals are probably the best part--especially that chorus where the power chords come in . There are actually parts that move me as much or more than the original. But what's with the weird sounding keyboard solo? It sounds like someone mistook the Serengeti with the Australian outback. Overall though, a surprisingly faithful rendition!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:52 pm

NickD wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:18 am
How did a thread about Weezer becoming the equivalent of a pub band playing to 50 on a Friday night in Basingstoke get to 3 pages?
I missed this...totally spot on. Every now and then one of those Internet phenomena tracks pops up here (slowed down, speeded up, supergroup, novelty cover, hiding behind lush video beard)...and it's always shite to the power ten.

The internet needs its ears syringed and a savage kick in the groin.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:12 pm

Weezer also covered Rossana.. :whistle:

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Sorry im late to the thread. Much like most memes, the africa meme will die out fairly soon. I am curious as to how africa became as big a meme as it did. But hey, memes tend to come in different flavours. Ironic love, stupid, offensive.... Ect. Ive said this before but i tend to think memes are an interesting thing to watch grow and evolve. Like the crash bandicoot "woah" meme. That started life as a joke in the oney plays series. Then it got remixed and evolved. Sadly it died out pretty quickly. As for the weezer cover, i think weezer are one of those bands who are almost afraid to piss off their fans so the play everything safe to the point where is a grey sludge to the earrs
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:24 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:31 pm
i think weezer are one of those bands who are almost afraid to piss off their fans so the play everything safe to the point where is a grey sludge to the earrs
What do you think Weezer would sound like if Rivers Cuomo could play whatever he wanted? My guess is that they'd still sound the same and the lyrics would just focus more on creepin' and masturbating.

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:13 am

If only for the Buddy Holly song and video it's all worth it. What's with these homies dissin' my girl? Why do they gotta front? Too much. I would love any song that references Mary Tyler Moore my long time crush.

I didn't know they were singing "I bless" the rains...now I'm singing it all the time again. Probably would have been best to have left it in the past as it got sooooo much airtime. I am imagining them working out how to vocalize "seeeer-en-get-eeeee. That has to be one of the weirdest lyrics ever.

I think what I miss are competent musicians and singers and professional production. Also the context in which that song was played, on the radio and MTV. In context, it was part of a big musical ecosystem which included a lot of other great songs similarly well produced that connected us...created a community of listeners through a commonality of share reference.

Music today is so fragmented and sub-categorized that it's no wonder that threads which are about bands and songs we know bring us together to comment in multi-page threads.