Article about the guitar industry.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Article about the guitar industry.

Post by Larry Mal » Tue May 22, 2018 4:43 pm

Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Article about the guitar industry.

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Tue May 22, 2018 5:35 pm

“My dream had always been to build a major music lifestyle business, similar to what Nike is to sports, and grow beyond guitars" - Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz
Jesus fucking Christ. :fp:
soundcloud.com/kkamaguicrow

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:19 am

If mom jeans can come back into style so can guitars.

Let's all just keep playing and making cool songs with whatever. I just want good music. I totally love some good guitar stuff in the mix, but it's all about the good sounds and melodies.

Harmoncj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Harmoncj » Wed May 23, 2018 7:04 am

I figure people are less likely to own more than one guitar and more likely to have a massive pedalboard.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 23, 2018 7:45 am

I was happy to read that article as well as Henry J's mea culpa. My belief and hope is that Gibson emerges as a smaller and leaner company, and continues their commitment to higher quality that they've been doing.

I've talked a little bit about this commitment to quality that I've been seeing, there's been some hardware changes that are not immediately apparent but show them leaning in that direction, and I recently got a 2014 J-45 and a 2017 J-35. Probably few would care about this, but in 2016 Gibson made a big thing about some improvements they made to their guitars, such as more rounded fingerboard edges and using a finer grit sandpaper on the finish to add lustre.

And what do you know, you can actually tell that. It's not a big deal by any stretch, who cares, my only point here is that Gibson has been working to improve the quality of their guitars somewhat behind the scenes, so it can be imagined that they have some idea of their reputation for putting out sloppy guitars (I've never really felt this) and are addressing that.

Or maybe not, I don't know, but my hope is that they get to continue on and it seems that they will.

They almost certainly will be continuing on without Henry J, so that can possibly lead to some good changes there. Time will tell.

Regarding the guitar industry as a whole, it was nice to see some thoughts that it's not all doom and gloom there. I've always been of the opinion that the guitar market contracting is just going to take a lot of the lesser brands out of the equation, and there will be the big names and small builders left. So, things like Guild will end their run, Jackson, so on. Hamer, Ovation, those brands that are already weak and "of their time" will probably be scuttled as the idea of what an electric guitar is narrows in the marketplace.

I could be wrong.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:54 pm

Pretty good article. I love reading about the divisions between genres of music and the importance of guitar. Nearly every time I see a video of a pop or rap star live, they always have a guitarist. Thinking that "guitar = rock" is so strange to me. It's clearly an important instrument for all genres of music, though it may not be "front-and-center" for all genres.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed May 30, 2018 1:00 am

Harmoncj wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:04 am
I figure people are less likely to own more than one guitar and more likely to have a massive pedalboard.
Smaller cheaper things are easier to collect. One of my wife's friends has 2-3 suits and literally over 3000 designer ties; when I pointed out to him that he could have had another dozen suits and still more ties than he could possibly wear he just looked at me sideways.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:26 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:54 pm
Pretty good article. I love reading about the divisions between genres of music and the importance of guitar. Nearly every time I see a video of a pop or rap star live, they always have a guitarist. Thinking that "guitar = rock" is so strange to me. It's clearly an important instrument for all genres of music, though it may not be "front-and-center" for all genres.
That's because 'rock guitarists' can be some of the most insufferable bunch of idiots who have Republician views on music. Their ideas of interesting music consists of playing all over the track while being the loudest thing in the mix without any regards towards reason, logic or feeling. Have to compensate for their microscopic penises I guess.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:02 pm

I definitely agree. At least some of them are. There are songs where I really love that the guitar is super prominent, but I've gotten to the point that I prefer guitar as a accompaniment instrument. I imagine that years of loving and listening to orchestra will make you think that way. Haha.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:28 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:02 pm
I definitely agree. At least some of them are. There are songs where I really love that the guitar is super prominent, but I've gotten to the point that I prefer guitar as a accompaniment instrument. I imagine that years of loving and listening to orchestra will make you think that way. Haha.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I still love rock music and I have a lot of respect for lots of rock musicians. But Jesus, rock fans and guitarists can be so goddamn insufferable. It's kind of funny because every other musician I met were open minded people who generally just like music, while almost all of the rock musicians I met had this weird tribalistic mentality and awfully myopic ideas on what music should be.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:23 am

Me too. But as you're saying, there definitely can be a separation between personality and technical ability. I get along really well with the open-minded type musicians. The others, not so much.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:26 pm

Whiny Minotaur wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:26 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
That's because 'rock guitarists' can be some of the most insufferable bunch of idiots who have Republician views on music. Their ideas of interesting music consists of playing all over the track while being the loudest thing in the mix without any regards towards reason, logic or feeling. Have to compensate for their microscopic penises I guess.
Whoa...just because somebody shreds doesn't mean they have a small penis and belong to the NRA-that is so dumb.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:53 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
If there's a mental straitjacket here, it's probably somewhere in the concept that guitars must lead to cowboy strumming or meedly-meedly lead lines .. "songs" built of "chords", somewhere upon which there is a "solo".

There's plenty of music in which most or even every sound you hear is made by guitars, and none of the above applies - Rhys Chatham, Fennesz, Young Gods, Geotic are just a few wildly differing examples. As always it's not the tool, it's how it's used.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:35 pm

budda12ax7 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:26 pm
Whiny Minotaur wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:26 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Whoa...just because somebody shreds doesn't mean they have a small penis and belong to the NRA-that is so dumb.
I wasn’t trying to impy that shredders are bad people, just making a comment on the general guitar/rock culture.