Quietus: How The #VinylRevival Is Paradoxically Threatening Record Shop Survival

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Quietus: How The #VinylRevival Is Paradoxically Threatening Record Shop Survival

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 15, 2018 9:57 pm

I thought this article was very much on the money and I've long felt the so called vinyl revival was something of a chimera driven by instagram friendly Franklin Mint novelty collectorism and scratch and sniff coloured editions* of records older than a conker tree that you can ordinarily buy secondhand for a farthing. I was particularly interested in the anecdotes concerning the reluctance of record buyers to buy non (so called) special edition vinyl.

How The #VinylRevival Is Paradoxically Threatening Record Shop Survival

Some brilliant shops interviewed too.

D

*for me the big trend in vinyl compared to when I was buying records in the distant past was that coloured vinyl was generally a singles, twelves and EP's thing, while most releases had inner sleeves. These days inner sleeves are less common than coloured vinyl.
Are you loathsome tonight?

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Quietus: How The #VinylRevival Is Paradoxically Threatening Record Shop Survival

Post by Grey » Tue May 15, 2018 10:12 pm

The number one issue presented in the article that's "threatening" record stores is competition. Competition from labels making direct sales, competition from big-market chains that are beginning to carry more and more records, and from new record stores cropping up to meet the demands of a suddenly saturated market. The people who are only interested in buying "special edition" releases are low on that list of potential threats, and while that is a market which obviously exists, I see no reason not to just leave them to it.

People who act like they have more of a "right" to record collecting because they grew up with it or stuck with records through the "rough" years are more annoying to me than some folks who want to line up for their favorite shade of strawberry-colored collectors edition vinyl or trend-of-the-year release, it's not affecting my enjoyment of the format and I don't see it as particularly "threatening" to the overall health of vinyl records.

One assertion presented in the article that I could get behind is the notion that these special editions drop demand for the standard edition releases that more stores are able to carry. The reason being that many record shops are unable to get any copies of the special editions to sell. I can see that being a problem. That said, regular black vinyl tends to sound better and I have opted to purchase the standard edition release over a limited edition "colored" release on many occasions despite having the opportunity to get the "rare" version instead. I think there's enough room in the market for both.

I don't entirely agree with the RSD formula, espically the environment it fosters for scalpers, but I think it's been a positive thing overall.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Quietus: How The #VinylRevival Is Paradoxically Threatening Record Shop Survival

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 15, 2018 10:33 pm

^^^

As someone who lived through the absolute agony of shops closing in the past I'm worried by it. I know most folk don't care where they buy records from but for me record shops are an incredible resource of expertise and often offer employment for the basically unemployable. :D

I'm not sure who is saying they have some special right to records compared to people who are new to the game and I struggle to think of any recent release I've not been able to get hold of because I'm either on it the minute it goes live or one of my shops pulls it for me. I do worry about pressing delays and the like and how RSD has become a satire filled with novelties and coloured versions of common or garden records when early on the releases tended to be actual special bespoke releases and not just stuff in a new colour.

D

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Tue May 15, 2018 10:42 pm

I think the "bespoke" releases, as you say, still exist but certainly in much smaller quantities. Colored and otherwise unusual discs have become sort of the de-facto collector standard.

Regarding my other comment i've gotten grief before from older guys at record shops who act like i'm just in it for the "novelty" factor because I "didn't live through it." I tend to prefer original copies or as close to the original release as I can get and I had one guy tell me I "should just buy it from walmart" because "that would be fine for you." ::)

Those comments might be out of place in this thread though, I don't want to detract from the point of the article.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 15, 2018 11:01 pm

^^^

Well fuck those sort of people, that's just living up to the worst record shop arsehole cliche. For this to be sustainable in the future* we need people coming in and buying contemporary stuff and shops are good for this and anyone walking around telling folk that Walmart is their level isn't exactly helping.

It's slightly OT but record shops are in general much more friendly these days, at least in my experience and they tend to recommend with pure heart instead of upselling stock they can't shift. When I was a kid they were often filled with loitering ne'er-do-well's and run by batshit crazy nutters.

D

*and for the whole musical ecosystem

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Thu May 17, 2018 5:11 am

Its an interesting article.

The shop I buy from most (Bear Tree) is quoted in there, and he seems to be doing OK, but he isn't selling the same dad rock as everybody else, he covers the bases that might be missed elsewhere. In fact Sheffield has a very good range of shops, one very good on second-hand, one good on mainstream rock and indie and another good on the more leftfield. Plus HMV, and they stock a lot of vinyl now as well.

All of the shops I frequent are pretty friendly too. I haven't found one that is cliquey - but they absolutely used to be like that.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Thu May 17, 2018 11:31 am

This is a little off the topic, but you know, the funny thing is I live in a neighborhood in NYC that's pretty music centric. And even now, unless you want to pay mega prices at a certain "cool" chain retailers, there's almost no place to buy physical music media any more. This particular store seems to be doing well off tourists and its live arm, but they're nearly the only show around here.

I'm old enough that most of the music I've bought in my life was physical media. Tapes, LPs, CDs, I've got piles of them. And I do recognize the cost and investment in getting that media made me appreciate and connect with those albums more. But in the here and now, with kids, a wife, trying to play my own stuff, work and all that shit, I do wonder who actually has the time to pull out vinyl, plop it on the old old hi-fi, and given it a full front to back listen. If I set my mind to it, I could do that maybe twice a week. But my reality now really only gets me music time on the subway, the car and sometimes at work, depending on what I'm doing. I'd imagine it's the same for a lot of adults, so I do wonder how much of this vinyl is really getting listened to, and how much has become some sort of virtue signaling consumption.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Fri May 18, 2018 4:07 am

Personally, all my home listening is physical media, and 95% of that is vinyl. I'll listen to music on my phone if I'm travelling but that's about it. If I'm at home over a weekend, and I'm indoors, I'll get through quite a few albums.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri May 18, 2018 4:12 am

NickD wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:07 am
Personally, all my home listening is physical media, and 95% of that is vinyl. I'll listen to music on my phone if I'm travelling but that's about it. If I'm at home over a weekend, and I'm indoors, I'll get through quite a few albums.

Yeah me too, though I work from home, so my whole day is listening to records. I also brainwashed the kids from a young age, which really helps.

I don't really listen to music in the car (BBC Radio 4/5 or more usually BBC Radio Engine) or out and about. I used to listen to it running but I like to hear the birds and talk to the dogs who run with me.

D