"KISS Guy" jumping into a Foo Fighters set and killing it

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Re: "KISS Guy" jumping into a Foo Fighters set and killing it

Post by mynameisjonas » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:37 am

I tried watching it, but I had to turn it off halfway through the first verse. I'm not sure why exactly, but the whole thing just made me cringe, and I usually have a fairly high Foo Fighters tolerance. Maybe it was the fact that Dave acted all surprised by the guy being able to play the song. I mean, it'd be more surprising if a long haired Foo Fighters fan didn't know how to play "Monkey Wrench".

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:21 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:46 am
i made it about 45 seconds into the video. i think that's as much staged virality as i can take. it's like those videos where they film a piano out in the street and have headlines like "random piano in the street, you wont believe what happens next" and it's never anything along the lines of a giant coming down to earth then lay on the piano like a burlesque dancer while god has a small cry wank and a squirrel manages to play some black midi by himself. because i would not believe that..... but a hipster sitting down and playing a "beautiful" song... but beautiful in the most generic sense of the word.... yeah. i believe that because it was obviously fucking staged.

i hate forced/staged virality. as someone who genuenly loves meme's and remix culture. i think the more staged it is, the worse the meme is.
Why do you think it was staged? Dave has done this before (as does Billy at Green Day shows), and a lot of the time it's pretty unimpressive or mildly embarrassing because the fan, who can play the song in their bedroom, stiffens up in front of a crowd.

This guy is Yayo Sanchez, a working musician, band leader, and guitar instructor. He's a pro with stage experience, so when he got up on stage, he knew how to handle himself. I don't think it's that Dave was surprised that he guy knew the song, I think Dave was surprised that the guy took command of the stage and was throwing cues to Dave about when he was done his solo. He painted his face, held up a giant Monkey Wrench sign all show, and was flipping out in the front of the crowd to get Dave's attention.

Ultimately, I don't really care if people think it was staged, but if you know the precedents (Dave doing this with very unremarkable results) and the fact that Yayo knows his way around a stage, it's not hard to see why Dave could be genuinely surprised at him commanding the stage like that.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:58 am

I expect nothing but universal scorn for this, but let me just clarify why I'm (almost) the lone anti-Grohl voice here.

I know he drummed for the Nirvana, who I never got into, but a couple of whose songs I can at least recognise. I know that he then went on to form the Foo Fighters, who I've tried unsuccessfully to avoid, but none of whose songs have ever struck me as in any way memorable. Okay, different strokes and all that. I just wish it began and ended there.

It's his ubiquity that I dislike so intensely. Hey, it's OSCAR night. Oh look, there's a grinning Dave Grohl in the audience. Hey, Paul McCartney's got a new songwriting partner. And, believe it or not, it's Dave Grohl! Hey, (insert any moderately successful recording artist's name here)'s new release features a guest spot from....you guessed it: Dave Grohl. Because you watched an SNL clip on YouTube, may we suggest you watch this one. With Dave Grohl. Hey, say what you like about the guy's music, but Dave Grohl seems like a really nice, down-to-earth guy for such a superstar. Hey, who knew Dave Grohl isn't just the consummate alt-rock superstar, he's actually a fairly decent actor too! Read Dave Grohl savage Trump in this viral interview! In this Hello! exclusive, learn how Dave Grohl gets beach body ready for his gruelling tour schedule. Hey, it's the Sick Of It! Awards....and here to simultaneously present AND WIN the award for most likely to turn up for the opening of an envelope....is....need I go on? *

Some people admire, maybe even aspire to be people like him. People who are always there. In the background. In the foreground. In the limelight, obligingly grinning for the paparazzi's flashing bulbs, always with the glad hand extended. I find it a real turn-off.

I have no doubt it's already happened, but if Dave Grohl and Elvis Costello ever collaborated I fear the resultant 'musician's musician' omega point might actually fulfill Terence McKenna's Timewave-Zero prophecy, probably causing even a large hadron collider-free world to collapse inwards on itself.

* Not real examples.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:31 am

^^^

Exactly! He's like a one man trad rawk invasion. He just embodies all the things that pre teen me thought would be extinct by now; rockism, disco sucksism, fist pumping legs akimbo posturing and Grunge n Broses rhubarb. He's like a satire. I was reading the Guardian this morning and there was a half page ad in the main paper for the "Spirit of Rock" Ramblin' Man Fair which I'm sure Dave would approve of but which had me struggling to keep my croissants down, so much did it resemble my own personal hell.

Dave and Macca's 'Mama Rawks' horrorshow of cliches would I'm sure go down easy at the Ramblin' Man Fair. There's been a few folk posting spectacularly unfunny rawk spoofs on here in the past by the likes of Fred Armisen but this is comedy Grammy material to the level that I'm wondering if Dave is the USA's own rawk Chris Morris and Macca is his Dr Fox.

Then there's his constant 'punkrockpunkrockpunkrockpunkrockpunkrockpunkrockpunkrockpunkrockpunkrock' (Never a rock next to punk in my house) when he's precisely the thing I ran off to fight the punk wars against.

I'm in my 50's andI'll never be old enough for that shite and frankly I've had enough of it for a lifetime and sadly I could have said that 45 years ago. He and his ilk are like those guests that just won't fucking leave, no matter if you're yawning in their fucking faces, literally wrestling them into their coats and the taxi driver has had his paw on the horn for five minutes straight.

I am fully aware he's one of the few non dickhead rawk parents which counts for something as a person but unless we are going down the road to only liking nice people music, he's the tip of the spear for rawks continuing pain in my ear.

He's Oasis for Americans, the lowest of the lowest common denominator man in the street pish. Not even music for folk with bad taste but music for folk with no taste and no imagination. AND he's fucking everywhere; omnipresent, constantly viral, bland as gruel, as toxic as botox.

I'm mean forfuckssake, the prosecution rests your honour.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:39 pm

I am not a fan of The FF at all but the negative reactions are a bit over the top. Their music is super trite and Dave is everywhere. Big fucking deal?

In my world, there are very few qualities more virtuous than not taking yourself seriously. Dave is the embodiment of that. Not to mention that anyone who was in Nirvana gets a pass.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:45 pm

Personally, I think Dave is a really cool guy who's just gotten old like a lot of us have. A quality I'm sure he'd be the first to admit.

Like I said, I do mostly like FF's older stuff. Their last good album was "Wasting Light", the first recorded on that mixing board from Sound City, and it was *really* good. If that's the coda to their "good music" era, then holy fuck. Any band would kill for an album like that. "Sonic Highways" I thought was just boring. Not offensive to my sensibilities, but just kind of overly polished, old-people rock without any real honesty or emotional investment. I don't even know what they've done after that, I sort of lost interest. They seem to be going through the motions, as a lot of bands do after a certain amount of time. (And with Dave particularly, most of his best music came from a couple of traumatic events in his life, which he's probably just over now. He's kind of like Rivers Cuomo in that way, who's also become kind of insufferable in the absence of angst.)

But I really don't get people who actively hate the FF's or Dave. What the hell? He's a nice guy who's never been anything but transparent about everything he's doing and who's almost singlehandedly carried the torch for hard rock in pop music for the past like, 20 years. (Well, maybe along with Weezer until they went to shit.) And he's a great drummer, a pretty decent guitarist, a pretty awesome lyricist and a severely underrated vocalist. I wish I could be half as good at half the shit he does.

As for this stunt, I was immediately suspicious it was staged too, but here's the thing: who the fuck cares? So what if it is? What does that change? 99% of everything you see in rock music is staged. You think bands don't plan everything they're doing up there? Why *wouldn't* they? When there's a truly unrehearsed moment in rock music, it's big news. Even Nirvana, when they decided to play all their shit songs in Rio or wherever that was because the opening band was disrespected by the crowd... I mean it's not like they hadn't rehearsed those songs, and it's not like they didn't all meet before the set to figure out a new set list. Everything is planned. I don't see why this should be either a surprise or something looked down upon by other guitarists - do you not practice the songs you play? How is that different? The idea is that you know what you're doing when you get on stage, to give the audience a good show and not just a random collection of garbage.

And none of this means that unexpected things can't happen. This guy owned the stage. Do you think Dave rehearsed with this guy ahead of time to know that would happen? He looks genuinely surprised to me. Even if someone - his stage manager, or whoever - found somebody who said he could play guitar and could play Monkey Wrench, that doesn't mean he's going to be able to automatically play it and dominate the stage in front of thousands of people on command. I can play Monkey Wrench and I don't think I could do that.

Well, whatever.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:17 pm

I do not believe it was staged ... EXACTLY the same thing happened when FF toured Oz last time... I think at one of the Brisbane concerts. Same situation... had a sign, made overtures to DG and at some stage was allowed up on stage.

Would all you "haters of DG and FF" ( and please remember I am no fan of FF music) be this vitriolic to a 50 or 60 year old blues guy or a jazz guy who was playing to an auditorium of fans who enjoyed his music?

If the answer is yes ... then :fp:
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:39 pm

sookwinder wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:17 pm

Would all you "haters of DG and FF" ( and please remember I am no fan of FF music) be this vitriolic to a 50 or 60 year old blues guy or a jazz guy who was playing to an auditorium of fans who enjoyed his music?

If the answer is yes ... then :fp:
I've no problem with folk being popular, and I'm in my 50's myself, as is Ulrich. from my side my disdain comes from the dudebro American rawk cultural imperialism, the snide rockism of his films, his Grammy utterances, his starfucking and ubiquity of Dave as a news item where in the UK he close to rivals the Oasis brothers.

I Was in the room when that desk film was on and found some of the pathetic and protectionist rockist talking head chat utterly cretinous (even for the talking head genre) and found the premise of getting a lot of old stagers in disheartening. For me it would have been much more interesting getting some kids in that had no experience of top end studio equipment and seeing what they could do, instead of the sort that has one in the guest bathroom. I singled out the Macca track but the Stevie Nicks song was even worse and hilariously called 'You Can't Fix This and indeed you can't.

You've not exactly been shy regarding your disdain for contemporary music and I'm absolutely on the opposite side of that argument and always have been. Much of my frustration regarding Dave is how he and his ilk are obviously bang on the demographic for the shot callers in big box news media.

Obviously Ulrich and myself are in the minority on this, they are probably putting something in the water up here to keep our dudebro levels down.

D

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:27 am

When you associate Dave with "dudebros", do you have any evidence suggesting that he is sexist, macho, homophobic, objectifies groupies or is into the cliché "sex, drugs and rock'n'roll" thing?

Because the interviews I have seen have painted him as a family man who treats touring like his day job, then comes home to focus on his kids and wife. I have never seen anyone be able to paint him in a negative light when it comes to his personal life/attitude/etc.

I don't really care if you find his music boring (I find a bunch of it boring too, though there is some that I like). Despite his fame, and despite his high degree of exposure, he seems like someone who has lived the life of a rock superstar but has not allowed it to consume him. He's been married to his current wife for 14 years, has 3 kids, insists on keeping his family out of the media spotlight, and still seems to love what he does after 3 decades in the business.

And if he can still get a kick out of a fan having the time of his life up on stage, that suggests to me that he's less jaded than many of his detractors, despite all he's been through (including losing a good friend amidst the pressures of fame and fortune).

Like sookwinder said, would we see this same reaction if it was a blues or jazz artist? What about a Miley Cyrus fan? Someone got to do something they probably dreamed about for years, and everyone involved had a great time. I didn't think I'd start an argument over a moment that embodied (to me), the joy that music can bring to people. Yayo looked like he was having one of the best days of his life, and he'll probably be telling that story his entire life.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:49 am

When I say dudebro I absolutely mean typical ultra conservative cookie cutter, seen it all before blokeish rockism and all the typical air punching trimmings.

He's not sexist from what I know but I never said that, if we were talking about sexists I'd have said it and have said it. Even avuncular rawk moves give me the heave and for most of my life all that bilge has dominated guitar culture and it's just become so tediously moribund, typical and predictable. It almost worse when it's played for laughs.

I'll hold my hands up to being on the other side of this, I mean I found grudges attempts to keep the hairy 70's going well into the 90's disheartening and Dave's done his best to make the dinosaur rawk 70's last in perpetuity. I think the culture in OSG has changed quite a bit since I joined and I guess I'll be shutting the fuck up on such subjects since it's somehow ended up more rockist and nostalgic than when I joined and certainly the only music threads that go anywhere are novelty, classic rock and reboots.

D

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:02 am

It seems more than a little contrived to me, but whatever.

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:50 am

shadowplay wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:49 am
I think the culture in OSG has changed quite a bit since I joined and I guess I'll be shutting the fuck up on such subjects since it's somehow ended up more rockist and nostalgic than when I joined and certainly the only music threads that go anywhere are novelty, classic rock and reboots.

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:50 pm

I think People read too much into this kind of shit - and those are the "followers".

A true free-thinking individual wouldn't give a flying fuck either way.

I like KISS. I like the Foo. I liked Nirvana. These are some of the rock bands I actually grew up with, and purchased their albums... yes... ALBUMS. :derp:

But couldn't give a fuck about who they are, or what they do in public or private, outside of their performances or recording releases. It's their business, and I respect the need for an individual or groups privacy. If they have a need for attention outside of their musical performances, then Hollywood is where they need to turn to - and all the klingons and wannabe's are waiting for them there.

I have zero interest in award cermonies, shill, or arse-lickers who hang on every word of some celebrity.

Dave Grohl is obviously a celebrity to many, but not to me. To me he's an artist. I have interest in his musical talent, or should I say, I have respect for the bands musical talents. I certainly have an interest in their perfomances... but nothing beyond that. So what if some makeup-clad guy plays on stage at a foo gig?. whoop-dee-fucking-doo. Is it news because of the KISS makeup? why do people feel the need to emphasize such drivel?

Couldn't give a flying V about KISS outside of their music either. and Nirvana? well they don't exist anymore, but there are plenty of people who appreciate their music like I did and still do obviously.

It seems to me the whole point is moot. makeup guy plays monkey wrench on a foo gig. yeah, stuff like that happens to lots of bands. it's not a unique and rare occurrence - perhaps for the makeup thing. Having said that, go to a Kiss concert and see how many young and old alike cake on the makeup for their guitar heroes. I did a few times... It was part of the KISS fan culture at the time... Obviously a lot older now and wouldn't bother, but that doesn't mean I would critique a guy for getting up on stage in makeup and putting on a show - whether it was kiss or Robbie Williams.

I did enjoy the Gallagher brothers Jib though. ;D thumbs up for that one shadowplay, I laughed very hard.

I will put it on record that I was not an oasis fan from day 1 when my mates all thought they were the shit. I just thought they were shit*.

*personal opinion.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:09 pm

It's one thing to dislike a certain flavour of art, it's a completely different thing to be a crotchety old git about it at every opportunity. It's petty. Talk about the stuff you like until the cows come home by all means, but what is deliberately railing on what you dislike going to accomplish - other than making yourself more bitter - because not everyone will agree with you.

I see this elitist jazz muso in a beret & skivvy and I have a quiet chuckle, but that's okay, that's his thing. I see some hipster with suspenders and a trimmed bush-beard whip out a banjo for some very raw-sounding folk ballad and the same reaction. Some guy dressed all in black/camo with an unreadable band name on the t-shirt, long hair down his back and a 7-string/down-tuned guitar and guess what? I laugh to myself but let him be. Then this dude in jeans and sweaty shirt pulls out a cheap banged-up guitar and his pedalboard soaked in beer for the same 3 or 4 chords a night, and so on. I might get some enjoyment out of what I see & hear (music, appearance, behaviour), I might dislike some of it too. (And when you are on stage, you do your thing. It's your right/privilege! That's the whole purpose of recording/performing.) But art is art. Not all of it is for everyone.

There's plenty of music in the world to go around, if you don't like some of it just ignore it. Or follow Zappa's advice: "shut up & play yer guitar"

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:03 am

Futuron wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:09 pm
There's plenty of music in the world to go around, if you don't like some of it just ignore it.
I didn't even see this thread as being about KISS or the Foo Fighters, tbh, just a fan who got a cool opportunity. Mbene even tried to cover his bases in the first post by saying "Regardless of whether you're a Foo Fighters fan..." but I guess that wasen't enough. I don't much care for them myself but it's easy to appreciate, as a guitarist, this guy getting a chance like that with a band he loves.

I could understand if this was a general KISS thread or a topic about Dave Grohl but I can't imagine being so perturbed by the guy that any thread with his name in it sets off the alarm bells and the tunnel vision.