"KISS Guy" jumping into a Foo Fighters set and killing it

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: "KISS Guy" jumping into a Foo Fighters set and killing it

Post by Futuron » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:28 am

I bought 3 Foo albums 15-20 years ago when I was solely playing drums, probably won't touch them again as I don't particularly find them of interest these days. Never been interested in Kiss and I don't know any Yayo other than Gakk but a fun vid is a fun vid. I don't understand why people can have such a personal vendetta about such things, it's like rock'n'roll ate their puppy dog. (Perhaps Ozzy or Marilyn did)

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:07 am

Is he really a fan? Looks more like someone with a giant ego, desperate for fame.. like one of those awful XFactor auditions. The guitar playing was pretty horrible too..

I bought the first 2 foo fighters albums..saw them live at their first UK show..1995 I think... 23 years ago! They should've ended 18 years ago..but bands never seem to end these days.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:29 am

eggwheat wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:07 am
Is he really a fan? Looks more like someone with a giant ego, desperate for fame.. like one of those awful XFactor auditions. The guitar playing was pretty horrible too..
Yep, reminded me of AC/DC. In the worst possible way.
I bought the first 2 foo fighters albums..saw them live at their first UK show..1995 I think... 23 years ago! They should've ended 18 years ago..but bands never seem to end these days.
They're certainly enduring incredibly well from those first one and a half good albums.

Guess I'm lucky, I'm not inundated with Dave Grohl's ubiquity or news articles on a regular basis like the others have been complaining about.

The only time I hear about Foo Fighters is every few years they'll come by and do a massive stadium/arena tour (how PUNK ROCK! MAN!) and people invariably ask me about it and get surprised that I'm not interested in attending.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:34 am

Read enough of these comments that I finally had to watch the video.

My thoughts about whether the whole thing was "staged": I saw Green Day in like 2001, and they did the same thing by pulling people onto the stage to play their instruments. They asked people if they played before they did it. It wasn't a train wreck, and I thought it was cool enough that they did let fans have the opportunity. Later, I found out they do that at pretty much all of their shows. Point is, Foo Fighters apparently do the same thing. Whether or not they knew this guy could really play, they probably knew he could somewhat play. Maybe the surprise was genuine, and Dave didn't expect it to go so well. All the same, was this the first time he's gotten someone up on stage to play his guitar? I don't know, but my guess would be it isn't. Dave probably thought it would be entertaining to get a guy in KISS makeup to play his song, found out the guy could play, both had fun and someone recorded it on their phone. I wouldn't even call it a coincidence, because he probably knew the guy could somewhat play, and figured even if he couldn't, someone bombing in KISS makeup would be entertaining or at least forgivable. If he frequently gets musicians on stage to play his guitar, then it's almost inevitable someone was going to nail it eventually - it's one of the biggest hits by one of the most famous rock acts in the world.

My thoughts on the guy's playing: Well, I can't say he sucked. I can't play like that, and won't even try. It fit the boring aesthetic of the song. I imagine this is going to be what it's like when a bunch of musicians get together to perform a Foo Fighters song for FF's induction into the R&R Hall of Fame. If I were the judge of this X-Factor audition, I'd ask, "You've shown us Dave Grohl, you've shown us Angus Young...but who is Yayo? I want you to go back out there and find out who you are, and when you come back you're going to be the biggest star of them all." That of course would be my nice guy lie to cover my true feelings, which are that he's obviously spent time honing his skills at mindless blues licks and generic rock stage posturing. Maybe he was a true fan, but it felt like the dude was auditioning for a sideman job for a pop star or lead guitar for a cover band.

While I've posted lots of cynicism above, I look at the whole thing as I would a pro wrestling event. Staged or not, genuine or an attempt to "go viral", manly as fuck or teeming with homo-eroticism, tasteless and tacky or...yeah...It's entertainment (and big business). I can't get the same excitement as anyone there probably would, but it's not for me. I only shit on it here because the majority seem to either agree or not care.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:23 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:58 am
Dave Grohl sucks
shadowplay wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:31 am
Dave Grohl sucks
Nod to UlricvonCatalyst and shadowplay as I also hate Dave Grohl but it's always kind of hard to explain why LOL you both put out some nice arguments here, thank you.

The fact that he sucks other guys dicks for popularity bugs me a lot... he's like always associating himself with all sorts of big names to get bigger and bigger. Look at me, Paul McCartney plays the drums in my new record... also Justin Timberlake does backing vocals and the producer from Adele produced us... man, what a douche bag, the guy has an ego the size of russia.

Hey look at me, I'll record the next record on my garage... with state of the art analog stuff, two floors worth of equipment that is way way way way more expensive than the digital stuff kids record their indie records with... hey digital takes away the magic, I'm badass I only record with analog... get the fuck out of here.

Hey look at me, I'm buying a fucking board and will record a documentary about it because I CAN... I'm also a movie director. I'll have all these artists in my documentary to show how humble I am to be flattering them, but actually this is just so people appreciate my fake humility and think I'm cool.

He pretends to be humble, but he clearly isn't. He's an egocentrical douche bag.

I don't know he just gets on my nerves.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:40 am

eggwheat wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:07 am
In the front row of a concert for a band he doesn't like, holding up a sign for a song he doesn't like but learned how to play? I guess it's possible he just wanted the attention, I don't know the guy, but he seemed like a fan to me. Looked like a bunch of people having a good time, what an awful thing isn't it?

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:48 am

leokula wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:23 am
<snip>
I don't know he just gets on my nerves.

C'mon dude, this is so salty it is comical. It's like you personally hate the guy. His only crime is making boring music and being everywhere with it. It does not warrant all that vitriol.

I don't think that was staged -- it is just selection bias. The bad videos probably do not go viral. There is this other video from a while back, which is so cheesy and cringey (at least to me) but I'd wager it is 100% not staged and makes me think that egocentric or not, Grohl is not an asshole (and probably a nice guy even).

There are much worse things in the world than making boring music.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:42 pm

Guess what? Two people can watch the same thing and come away apparently having seen two different movies.

Anyway it's just us shooting the shit over some show..some people loved it, some people hated it..nothing to worry about in the scheme of things. I don't think anyone has actually been killed for making awful music yet...I mean Simon Cowell is still alive right?

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:49 pm

eggwheat wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:42 pm
I don't think anyone has actually been killed for making awful music yet...I mean Simon Cowell is still alive right?
I vaguely knew he was involved in music beyond his critiques on tv. Don't make a thread on his music, or I'm going to have to check it out when thread gets 5 pages deep.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:58 pm

eggwheat wrote:
..I mean Simon Cowell is still alive right?
He's immortal and will eventually transmogrify into a giant lidless reptilian eye formed from flame.

There's been a fair bit of shade thrown Dave's way in this thread but it's all pretty mild compared to what the likes of Everett True have said about him.

For me he's just most visible current media symbol for teeshirted dad rawk with a full bingo card of many of my own personal musical bete noirs but he's far from a cell disrupting horror like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I can shrug off a spot of Dave's music like a brush of nettle when I'm out walking the dogs but the RHCP are like a direct scorpion strike to the cock.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:16 pm

Grey wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:40 am
In the front row of a concert for a band he doesn't like, holding up a sign for a song he doesn't like but learned how to play? I guess it's possible he just wanted the attention, I don't know the guy, but he seemed like a fan to me. Looked like a bunch of people having a good time, what an awful thing isn't it?
Thanks for bringing things back around to my original point in posting this!

I thought it was a fun moment where the stars aligned for one guitarist/fan of the band to have an awesome time, which rubbed off on the band having a fun time, and the audience having a fun time.

I naively thought that others might be able to take a step back and say, "damn, music sure can make people happy sometimes, like Yayo/the band/the audience in this moment."

I will say for Dave what I say for every professional musician who hit it big...it's awesome that he's had the rare opportunity to make a hell of a living out of playing music. I'm also glad that he still cares enough about his fans to set up opportunities like this for everyone to have a good time, going beyond playing the same old setlist to make somebody's day/year/decade.

It's cool when people have fun, and it looks to me like a whole lot of fun was had by the people involved in that clip. Hopefully we can all agree on that much.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Tue May 01, 2018 3:59 am

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:49 pm
eggwheat wrote:
I don't think anyone has actually been killed for making awful music yet...I mean Simon Cowell is still alive right?
I vaguely knew he was involved in music beyond his critiques on tv. Don't make a thread on his music, or I'm going to have to check it out when thread gets 5 pages deep.
The long threads need disagreement. I'm not sure anyone on here would like music engineered into being by Simon Cowell.

Anybody?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 01, 2018 4:34 am

NickD wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:59 am
The long threads need disagreement.
True, or we could go down the road to threads and threads of '+1 dude' and it's not as if there aren't bands/artists that get absolutely piled on again and again and no one comes to their aid.

I found some of this thread pretty illuminating and I think both the refuseniks and the believers fought heir sides pretty well for the most part. Some of the positive opinions were quite novel to me, like spacecadet saying Dave was an incredible lyricist. I promise I'm not being facetious when I say this surprised me, not that he isn't one (I've no clue), more that this was one of his highlighted strong points.

There's also cultural factors at play, Britishers are often quite cynical and this may not travel as well as we hope and I think for some of us our formative musical years are less rocky than some folk from over the water.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Tue May 01, 2018 5:06 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:34 am

There's also cultural factors at play, Britishers are often quite cynical and this may not travel as well as we hope

D
We are, and it doesn't. It comes across as what the Americans describe as 'Snark' I think. I thought that was something one hunted.

BTW, Dave Grohl isn't a great lyricist. No worse than most, but nothing amazing either.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue May 01, 2018 7:00 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:34 am

I found some of this thread pretty illuminating and I think both the refuseniks and the believers fought heir sides pretty well for the most part. Some of the positive opinions were quite novel to me, like spacecadet saying Dave was an incredible lyricist. I promise I'm not being facetious when I say this surprised me, not that he isn't one (I've no clue), more that this was one of his highlighted strong points.
I have heard some extremely insightful comments from Dave on this subject. There was one video where he and Kyle Gass (of Tenacious D fame) were sitting with acoustic guitars and talking about songwriting, and Dave said something along the lines of, "The key is the lyrics. White people dance to the lyrics of the song. The rest is less important. "

I found that statement to have some very deeply insightful observations, both in terms of what he's saying, and what he's not saying. Considering his level of commercial success, it seems that his approach does have broad-based appeal, to say the least.

Personally, I don't think he's the second coming of Paul Simon, but my standards for lyricists might be a little lofty there.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.