Anyone Bought the Creep Show (John Grant and Wrangler) record?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Anyone Bought the Creep Show (John Grant and Wrangler) record?

Post by shadowplay » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:43 am

I always liked John Grant's deliciously burred voice especially on Piano Magic's - Your Ghost and I'm a really big fan of Wrangler (Stephen Mallinder, Benge and Phil Winter) and a 40 year Cabaret Voltaire superfan, so I was really interested in this album ( Mr Dynamite) and I've not been disappointed.s. It's so much fun, a four sided party and a great blend of mid Virgin period Cabaret Voltaire, rubber legged P-funk, 'poppin' electro, cheeky 80's J-pop, cut up surrealism and full on troublefunking.

It's been the winner stays on at the cursed house of shadowplay for much of the last month and hit all the way from six to fifty one.

Creep Show - Safe and Sound

Creepshow - Mr Dynamite there's some real joy in the yootoob comments from the likes of this bellend; ' I really hope the next John Grant album has nothing to do with this electronic shit. If so, I will be an ex-fan. Sorry, but this music sucks.' Touch luck pal, they are doing another album!

Creep Show - Modern Parenting

Creepshow - Endangered Species delicious Billy Mackenziesque atmosphere and a genuine set of ex Culture Club backing singers

Creep Show - Lime Ricky which is like Sensoria's wee cousin.

Whole thing on ye olde Bandcamp. You can also google streams if you so desire.

D

PS if you are into synths check out Benge's epic modular Hadrian's wall; Modular Synths - Benge explains creating a sequence on a modular syntheziser and more of a general interview. Btw if you don't know Benge is the Maths part of John Foxx and the Maths. His blog is also gear heaven; It's Full of Stars.
Are you loathsome tonight?

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone Bought the Creep Show (John Grant and Wrangler) record?

Post by wingnutkj » Thu May 03, 2018 4:09 am

I'll check this out - I really enjoy the Wrangler stuff - Benge was one of my touchstones when I was getting into electronic music around the turn of the millenium - his label (Expanding) put out a load of top quality stuff.
Kenny

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone Bought the Creep Show (John Grant and Wrangler) record?

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 03, 2018 4:20 am

wingnutkj wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:09 am
I'll check this out - I really enjoy the Wrangler stuff - Benge was one of my touchstones when I was getting into electronic music around the turn of the millenium - his label (Expanding) put out a load of top quality stuff.
Great, hope you like it.

If you can be bothered have a look at Lone Taxidermist too, which is more fruit from the Wrangler family tree and like Wrangler crossed with an Au Pairs/Slits/Delta 5 sort of affair. There's some guitar on this record too and Natalie is a splendidly bonkers singer with a great northern tinged voice.

Btw consider me fucking crushed that Lone Taxidermist haven't been able to sell 150 records in a year. :(

D.
Are you loathsome tonight?