Ahh what a refreshing list...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Ahh what a refreshing list...

Post by shadowplay » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:46 am

NickD wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:30 am

Existing/old music is fine, but there needs to be an effort to push the new, otherwise how do people (who aren't actively searching) find the new
Even worse than the actual publicity hogging grandees getting news for nothing (eg another best of) are their fucking waste of space children. If you live in a house where fashion magazines come in through the door you'll be acutely aware of rock star children getting the cover for doing very little. They aren't on because they are doctors healing the sick, no they are on the cover because they are all DJ's* and models. The progeny of everyone from the Rolling Stones, to Duran Duran, to Nick Cave, to the Gallaghers are all fucking models and DJ's.

Most of them make the Royals look useful, a feat that is testing the greatest scientific minds.

D

*who don't have any of the marks of actual DJ's like a residency or a Fabric or FACT mix or remixes or their own records. Most of the seem to play celebrity parties or their parents parties.
Are you loathsome tonight?

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:06 am

Jeez, the snark is strong in this thread. ::)

It’s an article listing to top sellers in their LP shop, why is it so controversial? I’ve used Reverb LP, and the links are all to used vinyl shops across the US. You can find new records from time to time, but it seems those tend to be rereleases of older albums, in my experience. I’ve found that when I want more modern records, I need to go to Bandcamp or to the artist’s direct store, but I’ve been generally happy with Reverb LP. And yes, I own quite a few of the records on that list — unashamedly. Somewhere, there must be an Uncomfortably Pointy Guitars forum complaining about lists of top selling guitars, lamenting the fact Fender and Gibson are still as popular as they are.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:31 am

The youngest album on there is what, either Purple Rain or Brothers In Arms?

I suppose that might be a good thing, if you theorise that after that time there was much more choice in music or that the public were better informed, so there was never again such monolithic agreement as to what was the "best album".
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:55 am

mezcalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:31 am
The youngest album on there is what, either Purple Rain or Brothers In Arms?

I suppose that might be a good thing, if you theorise that after that time there was much more choice in music or that the public were better informed, so there was never again such monolithic agreement as to what was the "best album".
Speaking purely from personal experience and day to day encounters I've found a great deal of conservatism in record buying outside my own personal social bubble. When you look at the vinyl charts they tend to fall very much in line with similar records to what are in that list. It's as if buying vinyl as a new thing is a very conservative activity and folk are mostly buying what they know, what is 'safe' and also novelty versions of such things.

I think there's a mindset that vinyl is somehow different than just getting some music and it's weird to me to see the CD era being near replicated with the so called vinyl revival. I always found it nutty that folk were buying all their old music again during CD, when I was 99% of the time buying what came out that week (on vinyl) and I feel the same now.

I guess a lot of people might chime in with a different experience but when I generally meet 'civilians*' who are buying records again they don't tend to be that interested in things that aren't tried, tested and peer approved up the wazoo or reformats or novelty versions of music they already have. They also don't seem to buy many singles or EP's.

I've had a few other fathers at my kid's school inviting me to the most dreadful sounding 'record club' affairs where they sit about drinking IPA and talking about some old record that's been talked to death and which I doubt they've anything interesting to say on anyway but is somehow of interest because the have it on the 'vinyls', which to me is a total hell mouth.

D

*I got called a snob for using this term. To be clear I mean folk who are casual music fans not the sort of folk who buy hundreds of records a year.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:32 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:55 am

Speaking purely from personal experience and day to day encounters I've found a great deal of conservatism in record buying outside my own personal social bubble. When you look at the vinyl charts they tend to fall very much in line with similar records to what are in that list.
The sad thing is even if you limited yourself to buying secondhand records, there is a massive amount of music to be found outside of the 'rock classics'. Like it or not they have their place, but they should not be the be all and end all, but it does seem to be a cycle of buying them repeatedly on different formats.

I'd love to buy hundreds of records a year, but I've run out of room to do that sadly... I'm restricting myself to only the very best new records.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:34 am

Telliot wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:06 am
I reserve the right to be snarky whenever I wish. There has to be some benefit to being a 40 something man.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:43 am

NickD wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:32 am

I'd love to buy hundreds of records a year, but I've run out of room to do that sadly... I'm restricting myself to only the very best new records.
hundreds was a bit extreme, that's in the not really healthy realm. :fp:

I'm a bit of a hopeless case, and I thank the baby jesus for 12 foot ceilings and grand Edwardian rooms which helps with the storage, which still spills out into a few rooms and walk-ins.

I was bet I couldn't go a week without buying a record and I ended up cracking pathetically on day two when Polytechnic Youth emailed me, I've probably not gone more than three or four days without buying something for 30 years. Keeps me off the streets and it's now a family thing, so I've that excuse.

I guess you could just go buying old records but that's never occurred to me, I've always mainly bought what came out that week.

This weekend is Record store (shop!) Day it's often the only day of the year some folk go to a record shop but to me it's the day I am guaranteed not to go.

D

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:14 am

I looked at the RSD day list and couldn't find a thing to tempt me into a store, let alone to wait in line.

I bought several hundred records last year, that's one of the reasons why I'm running short of storage, but generally I'm a regular buyer, a few a month.

I couldn't stand those record club things either, thankfully no-one has suggested them to me, I don't come close to sharing music taste with most of my local friends.

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:22 am

shadowplay wrote:
I've had a few other fathers at my kid's school inviting me to the most dreadful sounding 'record club' affairs where they sit about drinking IPA and talking about some old record that's been talked to death and which I doubt they've anything interesting to say on anyway but is somehow of interest because the have it on the 'vinyls', which to me is a total hell mouth.
I'd rather hang out with the "IPA Dads" then several of the people in this thread, since I bet they can at least enjoy something without feeling the need to qualify its "value" beforehand.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:37 am

NickD wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:14 am
I looked at the RSD day list and couldn't find a thing to tempt me into a store, let alone to wait in line.

The number one for me is the Sorrow (Rose McDowall) Under the Yew Possessed record on vinyl, a brilliant record I lobbied the label for but I've got that and a few other booked (Emma Tricca, Lisa Knapp, Gemma Ray, Wrangler, Bibio and the Limininas) and I'll be tuning in tomorrow at noon for the Polytechnic Youth one.

The list is like deep satire, filled with novelty records, typical secondhand records and pathetic floor sweepings.

Grey wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:22 am
shadowplay wrote:
I'd rather hang out with the "IPA Dads" then several of the people in this thread, since I bet they can at least enjoy something without feeling the need to qualify its "value" beforehand.
I think the point is that the value of the records at such affairs have already been decided but I guess it takes all sorts. I mean most of the records at such gatherings have been analysed by greater minds than you and I and the chances of some random person saying something beyond +1 dude I like this is pretty small.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:14 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:37 am
I think the point is that the value of the records at such affairs have already been decided but I guess it takes all sorts. I mean most of the records at such gatherings have been analysed by greater minds than you and I and the chances of some random person saying something beyond +1 dude I like this is pretty small.

D
So what? What's so terrible about a bunch of dudes sitting around talking about music they like, i'm sure those albums mean different things to different people regardless of how many "great minds" have regurgitated their various talking points ad nauseam, music is a very personal experience.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:21 am

Grey wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:14 am
shadowplay wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:37 am

D
So what? What's so terrible about a bunch of dudes sitting around talking about music they like, i'm sure those albums mean different things to different people regardless of how many "great minds" have regurgitated their various talking points ad nauseam, music is a very personal experience.
It's fine for them, they can knock themselves out, not for me. It's not unlike 'classic' car events, I love old cars but I've no desire to see lots of MG's and the sort of car Jim at number 42 drove so I don't go, horses for courses and all that.

I've gone out for lunch once a month with some friends I met DJing or working behind the counter for the best part of thirty years, we generally talk about the records we are buying and now we are old and with family some of our kids come too and when I'm dead a whole new generation might still keep it up. I'd guess the folk who invite me to their record clubs probably wouldn't enjoy it much but we do.

D

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:33 am

NickD wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:34 am
Telliot wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:06 am
I reserve the right to be snarky whenever I wish. There has to be some benefit to being a 40 something man.
Oh, I qualify. ;)

My point is, this list doesn’t signify someone’s opinion, it’s merely a tally. Maybe the Reverb LP shop is seeing a run on these albums because there’s a whole bunch of people getting back into vinyl and consider these to be staples from their youth. That can only be a good thing, in my estimation, as an encouragement to bands and record companies to continue pressing vinyl into the future. I’d like to see it surge to the point there are record players in every home again and people are relying less on digital media. I certainly have some of these albums. Old as they may be, I’ll never tire of hearing them. I say that as someone who is constantly, actively seeking out new music and supporting lesser- or unknown bands. But I see no reason to turn my nose up at something because of its popularity — if it’s good, it’s good. If it isn’t, I won’t own it. All down to my subjective opinion, of course.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:26 am

To be fair these records all seem to fit a certain type. Most are common enough that they're not expensive. If I wanted a specific classic record like one of these I'd probably buy it online too versus digging through crates locally.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:38 am

My comment was on the disappointing lack of progression..nothing to do with the quality of the music contained within the list...it’s the same fucking list since 1985..a lot has happened since then, though you wouldn’t know it.