Alternative 'Official' World Cup song

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Alternative 'Official' World Cup song

Post by Embenny » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:16 pm

mediocreplayer wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:01 pm
sammynb wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:44 pm

And you have to love a nation that holds a "world series" with only teams from their country!
To be fair, it is accurate to call it 'world series': No one else in the world gives a shit about this fucking sport (and calling this school playground game a sport is generous), so a world series with teams from all over the world will essentially reduce to the same thing since no other nation is interested anyway.
Don't get me started on baseball. Have you even seen some of their pitchers? They look like they'd keel over if they were asked to run 100m.

As for American football, over 14% of players (and 30% of linebackers) have obstructive sleep apnea. Yep, the disease you get when you are so fat that your body literally suffocates under the weight of your neck fat.

Leave it to Americans to worship the two sports you can play at a professional level when you'd be too fat to make it through training camp in any other sport ;)
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:51 am

My work here is done.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:37 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:51 am
My work here is done.
For someone who is very worked up about the current state of the United States, you're stirring the pot just like a Russian operative. :-/ :P

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:06 am

Sounds like something a soccer fan would say.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:55 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:45 am
So in the interest of global harmony and the end of the Shakira closed shop, could I please trouble you all for your own nominations for The OSG 'Offical' Russia World Cup 2018 song.
I'd like to offer a sad little piano piece from one of Steve Kilbey's instrumental albums called Napoleon's Army, Christmas Eve, Outside Moscow - but I can't find a link for it. Failing that, could I have Giant Deflating Football by Aphex Twin?

Both rather downbeat, but I'm anticipating the mood in England after they get annihilated in the group stage like 2014.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:02 am

I've found my 'One'. I've a constant inner conflict concerning large sporting events, total distaste at the utter piggery of the governing body and the marketing and against this an impossible romanicism towards the nobility and near supernatural wonder of sport at it's highest and purest forms. This World Cup and the next as as bad as it get with the former.

So this has been a good source of conversation over the Easter break and my ultimate choice is In the Nursery - To the Faithful. It would never get chosen, it's got no link to Russia beyond being vaguely neoclassical and I'm sure some ignorant folk might think it has neo fascist imagery but I think it is the most stirring track, a real chest puffer that leaves me misty eyed. It's a defiant fist in the face of FIFA, McDonalds and Russian and Qatari bribes, it's basically trolling their lack of values.

Young Shadowplay number one plays this before her sets when she's playing out.

There's also a slightly softer Engel version and the reprise for playing over goal montages.

approximate lyrics
One by one our hearts return, time demands the truth commands.

Turn the tide we'll go again, and now we can enter in.

One by one the voices rise, faith begins and dreams subside...to the faithfull.

Time has come to break the door, passion leaves the spirit high...to the faithful.

Cling to me forever more, one by one we live again....to the faithful.

Like the dawn that lights the sky, truth demands and time commands...to the faithful.

mezcalhead wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:55 am

Both rather downbeat, but I'm anticipating the mood in England after they get annihilated in the group stage like 2014.
In the Nursery have the England early bags montage overed as well with this which was played ont he radion when Diana died; The Sabres Of Paradise - Haunted Dancehall (As Performed By In The Nursery)...just add some tear stained images of Gareth Southgate watching on in apparent disbelief.
sammynb wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:44 pm

D, I've never really understood the requirements/criteria of what qualifies as an alternative 'official' world cup song?
Is it singalong ability? Football theme? Being appreciated by everyone except mainstream US of A?
Would Pinkshinyultrablast - Ravestar Supreme automatically qualify as host nation?
All of the above really. Something really up and at em (pure theme from the Flashing Blade) *or something resonant of the occasion or the nation.

*incidentally Trunk have this available in good quality as a 50p download if you like it but don't fancy paying £50+ for the single.

better trunk recording on youtube

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:42 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:02 am
In the Nursery have the England early bags montage overed as well with this which was played ont he radion when Diana died; The Sabres Of Paradise - Haunted Dancehall (As Performed By In The Nursery)...just add some tear stained images of Gareth Southgate watching on in apparent disbelief.
Both tracks are fully appropriate.

Apparently according to an article in the Guardian, Haunted Dancehall is now the standard track played on the BBC for royal deaths - so if you hear it, the Queen may well have snuffed it.

I’d love to know how that particular track came to be chosen for that purpose!
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:05 am

I would like a Russian Circles theme.

The new song is :k . At least my young kids liked Waka Waka at the time; so it makes me smile each time I hear it. It makes meremember my 3 years old twins dancing the Waka :)

France or Iceland of the win! Allez les bleus!
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)